Olds ticket to 9s... LS swap adventure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Spent most of the day today getting some stuff buttoned up under the hood, I am waiting for something to come in to finish off the cage and I had some cool stuff show up.

I have decided to take a lesson from the drift guys and do an accumulator. I have seen some stuff on a few logs that concerns me, and for once they weren't all my logs. I also got my ICT accessory drive, so it had to get fitted up.
20210313_110306.jpg

Got the accessory drive smashed together, intake on and everything is looking good. Pretty happy with the fit of the ICT setup, works good with the holley mounts and has enough clearance for the power steering pump. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/icb-551519x-3
20210315_151047.jpg

I carried on and fit up the ICT Billet coil mounts. Getting all fancy up in here...
20210315_151056.jpg

Well, I was this far.... So the manifold and turbo went in. She is a big girl.....
20210315_204345.jpg

I had a cheapo china T4 to T6 adapter on for the conversion. It is too tall for the stock hood.

20210315_204717.jpg 20210315_204803.jpg

Otherwise it fits really good. There is still lots of room for activities in here. For now...

20210315_204826.jpg 20210315_205004.jpg 20210315_205202.jpg

I drilled into the O2 sensor plug on the manifold and tapped for a hot side pressure sensor, because dominator. I also started to trace out a T6 flange, I am going to cut about 3/8" out of the manifold as there is enough material and weld on a beautiful home made flange.

20210315_210750.jpg 20210315_210655.jpg

Should be a winner.

Reactions: 10 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Better hurry up... Winter is almost done.

No pressure. ;)

PS. You can always leave the hood off.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Information for the uninformed,

What is the purpose of that accumulator? Coolant if you pop a headgasket or? I have seen them and am clueless to their purpose.

Reactions: 1 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Better hurry up... Winter is almost done.

No pressure. ;)

PS. You can always leave the hood off.
It can sit on jackstands for as long as I want.

Information for the uninformed,

What is the purpose of that accumulator? Coolant if you pop a headgasket or? I have seen them and am clueless to their purpose.
Its an oil accumulator. There are a few reasons to run one. Pre-lube on startup, pushing high pressure oil into the motor if the oil pump starves at launch or in cornering and adding capacity.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 8 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
It can sit on jackstands for as long as I want.

Its an oil accumulator. There are a few reasons to run one. Pre-lube on startup, pushing high pressure oil into the motor if the oil pump starves at launch or in cornering and adding capacity.

Makes sense, I like the idea of a lube accumulator. How does it hold pressure when the engine is off? Just trying to understand how it can not bleed off pressure when it sits while still allowing oil to go in the lube circuit in the engine.

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Makes sense, I like the idea of a lube accumulator. How does it hold pressure when the engine is off? Just trying to understand how it can not bleed off pressure when it sits while still allowing oil to go in the lube circuit in the engine.
You can operate it manually or with a solenoid valve.
There's a Piston sealed with compressed air on one side.
Manually you open valve before starting car and close before shutting off.
Electronically via solenoid works the same way but easier obviously

Reactions: 2 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Want or need? No one wants their car on jackstands.

Amy Hustle GIF by Superstore
Lol, I implied want as it would be my own laziness that prevents it running. I'm getting after it!

You can operate it manually or with a solenoid valve.
There's a Piston sealed with compressed air on one side.
Manually you open valve before starting car and close before shutting off.
Electronically via solenoid works the same way but easier obviously
I am going with the spanish control system, El Manual. Open prior to start for pre-lube and closed unless high G maneuvers are expected. I thought about electric but I don't think it would be fast enough to respond.

Reactions: 3 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Lol, I implied want as it would be my own laziness that prevents it running. I'm getting after it!

I am going with the spanish control system, El Manual. Open prior to start for pre-lube and closed unless high G maneuvers are expected. I thought about electric but I don't think it would be fast enough to respond.
Electric would be fine. Think about it. Say it's got 60 psi of pressure when off. Activate with keyed ignition or switch in car. When you activate wait for oil pressure to build then fire up engine. It remains open entire time protecting internals. When you shut down you will lock in whatever pressure you had. At least that's the way I've seen it work.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor