Master Mechanic
Dec 3, 2010
Dallas, Tx

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
just my $0.02...
... I see a few arguements about torque and hp numbers here, and I think we need to acknowledge that often these are just peak figures.

we need to evaluate torque and hp thru it's entire rpm curve, and not just look at the peak figure. For example...
a typical rowdy chevy will make, say 325hp/300ft-lbs. However, if you look at the power curves, average figures are far smaller than peak, meaning the curve is often quite steep, and those big numbers only appear for a short period of time.

a typical BOP will make, say 250hp/330ft-lbs. However, if you look at the power curves, average figures are fairly close to peak, meaning the curve is often quite broad and the power and torque is held fairly consitant over the rpm range.

my SBC and my Buddy's Olds350 are making similar peak HP numbers, whith the 350 leading by about 50hp. However, mine peaks say 390hp around 6000rpm probably only averaging 200hp thru the full range. His on the other hand, peaking at the same 400hp, will average about 350hp of them thru his full range.

which means, I can't keep up... I start to pull slightly at the top end, when he starts to run out of revs, but for most of the 1/4mile pull, I got nothing

... it's not about the HP and Torque number, it's about how it is applied thru the rpms.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
Dr. Rudy said:
I would just like to say that saying an olds engine doesnt spin as many RPM is kind of a bad excuse. The ls6 454 had solid lifers while the w30 455 had hydraulic lifters. Little things like that made a difference but a 455 can spin pretty darn fast if you have the guts to keep your foot in it. And more RPM isnt always more power, last I saw a second gen cummins redlined at 2800rpm from the factory. That might be a diesel, but stroke makes torque, and torque wins races.

RPM does matter, and torque matters but not like some people think. I am sure that diesel makes a crap ton of torque but would get smoked by a gasser of the same performance numbers. Yes torque moves cars but you need horsepower as well. Some 160hp engine with 300ftlbs of torque isnt going to be very quick, I have owned them, they sucks and needed a lot of work to get them up to par.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
khan0165 said:
... it's not about the HP and Torque number, it's about how it is applied thru the rpms.

I absolutely agree, for a daily driver. This is why cars need to be set up with cam, gears, stall, tires size, and shift points in mind. This is why in my opinion RPM matters in engines that like to peak rather than have a broad curve.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
If money is not a factor, I would go with Oldsmobile :twisted:

But if we are talking reality, then I will have to stick to the SBC. I'm a lower class, full-time working, white american male. We get crapped on the most :lol:

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Both big and small olds 350s have about the same ability to spin. But to get the parts to allow them to survive race car rpms cost a lot less for the the small chevy. Its not that the sbo is expensive its that sbc is cheaper than anything else. Naturally that statement only encompasses the motor build not your time etc for a conversion.

BBC will handle sustained high rpms way better that the Olds 455 primarily because it has much smaller main & rod bearings which do not generate near the heat. As well as having available superior factory heads etc to take advantage of the rpm. BBC made for a much better race motor. But if you are not building a race motor the Olds can make more torque lower in the rpm range and the larger bearings are potentially better for heavily loaded vehicles.

JBreu, Nothing wrong with what you said or your preference. Cheaper parts and being readily availablity are benefits but they certainly are not the only thing of importance. You built your car for fun & your personality not to say how cheap you got away with it. Right or wrong? Again depends on your goals.

The non stroker pump gas Cadillac 500 to 519ci will make 500HP and only need 5000 rpm to do it. Stress & wear go up exponentially with rpm on all engines. It will also make 600 foot pounds at about 3,500 rpms. And because you can do that with the factory unstroked crank, factory reconditioned rods, some factory or cheaper off the shelf factory replacement pistons, factory street ported big valve heads, with milder valvetrain & springs and simple hydraulic cam. It can be built for the money you posted in another thread that you have in your motor. That said that it is the end of the rainbow for the big Cad. Anything above that requires a lot more money and expertise than the parts & building up of a sbc.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I still think we need to narrow this down to either street or strip use because thats really the huge question. You dont need 6000 rpms on the street.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
-83MONTESS- said:
I still think we need to narrow this down to either street or strip use because thats really the huge question. You dont need 6000 rpms on the street.

In reality it probably just needs to be dropped. Everybody has their opinion, some people are blind to the pros and cons of each and some people accept them and some people are just ignorant. Chevy worked out for my uses. Oldsmobiles never really did. So I am obviously a Chevy guy but variety is the spice of life and it would be dull to see nothing but Chevy engines in EVERYTHING. Cheers.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
Dogshit's post is right about the caddy motors..I had a 1972 Coupe De'Vill with a 472 in her and man that was a heavy fast beast..When the motor sh*t the bed we bought a 1975 Caddy and threw a 501 ci motor in her and as stock, the torque you would feel....As for muy sbc, I didn't cut corneres and spent about $6500.00 on it to have it the way it is,,,so I don't think I got away with a inexpensive build, or at least my Wife wouldn't agree to that :) ...but again, he's right...I built it to have fun with the family and take it to the strip once in a while...That being said, you can built a 400 hp sbc fairly inexpensive these days......like we all agree on...It all depends on what you want and what you can afford............Chevy or olds????????????? Hell with it, FORD!!!! LOL

houndin101

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2010
JBreu said:
Dogshit's post is right about the caddy motors..I had a 1972 Coupe De'Vill with a 472 in her and man that was a heavy fast beast..When the motor sh*t the bed we bought a 1975 Caddy and threw a 501 ci motor in her and as stock, the torque you would feel....As for muy sbc, I didn't cut corneres and spent about $6500.00 on it to have it the way it is,,,so I don't think I got away with a inexpensive build, or at least my Wife wouldn't agree to that :) ...but again, he's right...I built it to have fun with the family and take it to the strip once in a while...That being said, you can built a 400 hp sbc fairly inexpensive these days......like we all agree on...It all depends on what you want and what you can afford............Chevy or olds????????????? Hell with it, FORD!!!! LOL
hey now we dont use the F-word around here lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor