Status
Not open for further replies.

dream on mcss

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2011
Oxford, MI
houndin101 said:
JBreu said:
Dogshit's post is right about the caddy motors..I had a 1972 Coupe De'Vill with a 472 in her and man that was a heavy fast beast..When the motor sh*t the bed we bought a 1975 Caddy and threw a 501 ci motor in her and as stock, the torque you would feel....As for muy sbc, I didn't cut corneres and spent about $6500.00 on it to have it the way it is,,,so I don't think I got away with a inexpensive build, or at least my Wife wouldn't agree to that :) ...but again, he's right...I built it to have fun with the family and take it to the strip once in a while...That being said, you can built a 400 hp sbc fairly inexpensive these days......like we all agree on...It all depends on what you want and what you can afford............Chevy or olds????????????? Hell with it, FORD!!!! LOL
hey now we dont use the F-word around here lol

Well yeah we can all agree nobody likes Ford (lol), but nobody better knock Mopar :twisted: . Sorry, its in my blood :wink: .

dream on mcss

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2011
Oxford, MI
M.Bailey said:
lol lets not bring in the MOPAR this thread could go on for years.

Yeah definitely, especially if they were talking about how badass they are. LOL!

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
I am sorry when you said mopar I fell on the ground in convulsions and started uncontrollably doing this :puke:

houndin101

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2010
i know lol i think its funny how the nicknamed them mopars cause they constantly need moparts to keep running :rofl:

gk666

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2010
see... i didnt want to post in here because certain people think certain aspects of my vocabulary are bad for the public... but then someone said ford and i think it should be piledriven into the minds of the word than ford can fvck itself in its own @ss and die

CAPERKEV

Greasemonkey
Jan 2, 2011
ford, mopar, they are both the same, hated and underated, as i have had both in my years, an they are fast with alot opf money, chevy, not so mkuch money will beat them, olds motor, excellent for getting groceries, dont beat them, just drive them, they last a long time, my 442 blew the olds 307, now has a beast of a sbc, but when i get my olds rebuilt she be going back where it belongs, an the chev will go back in the 82 cutty where it belongs. 1 isnt any better, just chev cheaper, thats it, plain an simple.

Black Sheep

Master Mechanic
Sep 24, 2010
Waynesville, Ohio
Against my better judgement, i'm gonna throw my 2 pennies into the ring. I've had both, Olds and Chevy, from a 267 chevy and a 260 Olds to a built 350 chevy and a 455 olds.

That little 267 sure ran good, till it blew. The 260 Olds sucked, but ran forever. I've got a 300k mile 307 Olds that is still going strong. The 350 chevy ran ok, but still seemed like it didn't have the power it should have. Could have missed the mark with the cam, it happens. Had to be bored, line honed, decked, crank turned, rods resized, basically the works, and machine work ain't cheap.

Now, the 455 Olds. First one I bought the core for $200. Tore it down, no ridge or taper in the bores. Crank got a polish, rods checked good. Raced it for a few years as a stock engine. Didn't set the world on fire, but did ok. Found a used Torker intake for $150, a set of used pistons for $150, a new cam and lifters for $250, a set of headers (don't remember how much), and a Holley carb. Heads are stock iron with roller rockers, nothing major. That combo of parts pushed my 3300lb Firebird to 11.63 @113mph. Raced that engine for 15 years, till a rod let go :oops: :lol:

New engine just like the first. Re-used what I could, but had to get different pistons. No machine work needed to the block, but crank went 10 under. On paper the cam looked great, but the real world proved otherwise. Only went 12.25@105mph. Not bad for being built on wednesday, broke in on thursday, and raced on sunday in mid 90* weather. A new cam is coming.

Is an Olds expensive to build? Sure, if you let it. But, it doesn't have to be. I've had 2 motors built for under $2k apiece and gone faster than some chevys built for 3x that amount.

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
I'm not that old, but I believe in brand loyalty. An Olds should be powered by an Olds, and a Chevy by a Chevy. The only reason a Buick 455 is in my Olds is because I couldn't locate an Olds 455 at that time. With that being said, I'll take a pre-'71 Buick 455 over all of 'em. A big block that weighs the same, if not less, than a SBC 350 and makes torque numbers that can rival a Caddy 500. The fastest muscle car according to Horsepower TV or Musclecar was powered by what? A Stage 1 Buick 455.

dream on mcss

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2011
Oxford, MI
Qdub24 said:
I'm not that old, but I believe in brand loyalty. An Olds should be powered by an Olds, and a Chevy by a Chevy. The only reason a Buick 455 is in my Olds is because I couldn't locate an Olds 455 at that time. With that being said, I'll take a pre-'71 Buick 455 over all of 'em. A big block that weighs the same, if not less, than a SBC 350 and makes torque numbers that can rival a Caddy 500. The fastest muscle car according to Horsepower TV or Musclecar was powered by what? A Stage 1 Buick 455.

I bet it really pulls with that 455. What kind of motor are you looking at putting in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor