Opinions! Chevy engines vs. Olds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
dream on mcss said:
I bet it really pulls with that 455. What kind of motor are you looking at putting in?

Yes it does. :mrgreen: I'm never taking that motor out, unless I come across the deal of a century on an stout Olds 455.

As for my MC SS, I'm undecided. It's gonna be almost a daily driver so I'm thinking a SBC 350 should suffice. But thoughts of a 383 or 406 keep dancing around my head. Not to mention, I know where I can get a 454 for next to nothing that just needs a rebuild.

dream on mcss

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2011
Oxford, MI
Qdub24 said:
dream on mcss said:
I bet it really pulls with that 455. What kind of motor are you looking at putting in?

Yes it does. :mrgreen: I'm never taking that motor out, unless I come across the deal of a century on an stout Olds 455.

As for my MC SS, I'm undecided. It's gonna be almost a daily driver so I'm thinking a SBC 350 should suffice. But thoughts of a 383 or 406 keep dancing around my head. Not to mention, I know where I can get a 454 for next to nothing that just needs a rebuild.

454! 454! :twisted: lol.

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
dream on mcss said:

I hope it's still available when I get back to the states. I also hope that my car's 200R4 can live behind it.

dream on mcss

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2011
Oxford, MI
Qdub24 said:
dream on mcss said:

I hope it's still available when I get back to the states. I also hope that my car's 200R4 can live behind it.

Thats gonna take one helluva shift kit lol!

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
Another pro about Chevy is the adjustable valve train. I can't recall if Olds is adjustable, but with those rocker bridges I'm guessing no. My Poncho didn't come adjustable from the factory either...but is an easy remedy with BBC studs :mrgreen:

One thing about all of the SBC's I've owned is that the valve guide seals always seemed to be shot or on their way out. I kind of wonder if they were prone to valve guide wear vs the other GM makes.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Black Sheep said:
Is an Olds expensive to build? Sure, if you let it. But, it doesn't have to be. I've had 2 motors built for under $2k apiece and gone faster than some chevys built for 3x that amount.
X2

TeezySupreme

Master Mechanic
Feb 3, 2011
:blam: why bring a ford in lol GM all through this thread what is a ford?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor