Problem, Knocking..continue

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
CHRIS.O said:
Did they ever take the distributor out when they put the engine in your car? The reason I ask is I do not want to send you on a wild goose chase and have you mess it up and not know how to get it back to normal. So what I am gonna recommend first is you check your firing order just to be sure all the wires are hooked up correctly.

http://www.jegs.com/s/tech-articles/sbc ... ifications

this page has the firing order and some specs.

Find the number one plug and follow the wire going back to the distributor. When you find that terminal on the distributor go clockwise and follow every wire in the firing order to its plug. For example the firing order is 1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2 so when you find 1 go clockwise from there and the next terminal on the distributor should have a wire going from it to the number 8 cylinder in the diagram. Follow that until your back to 1.

Let me know what you find out and if it isnt in the wires being messed up then I will tell ya how to mess with the timing.

Goodluck

Okay I will check first thing when I wake up, I appreciate this all.
Thanks Again.
i will make sure I post on here what I find out.

CamaroAdam73

Royal Smart Person
CHRIS O pretty much hit the nail on the head.

David i don't want to see you get ahead of yourself, so the first thing you need to do know is buy some tools. At any auto parts store you can get a decent timing light for around 40$, you need one.

The engine dying out off idle is likely carb adjustment, but it could be ignition related.

When i said IGNITION related, I'm referring too anything related to the distributor (dizzy for short terms) meaning, plugs, wires, and dizzy.

Second it wouldn't be a bad idea to buy a vacuum gauge so you can check manifold vacuum. By this i mean, you measure how much vacuum you have at idle, typically around 4 inch's (correct me if I'm wrong) and this will help determine if you have a vacuum leak. Something to remember, carbs can develop vacuum leaks, as well as worn out rubber lines.

Don't get angry if it sounds like I'm talking to you like a kid, i don't mean too i just want to make sure you understand to the best that i can explain, what I'm explaining to you because you're close to having a nice ride, but the little things can be easily misinterpreted as big problems when they are just a simple fix.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
CamaroAdam73 said:
CHRIS O pretty much hit the nail on the head.

David i don't want to see you get ahead of yourself, so the first thing you need to do know is buy some tools. At any auto parts store you can get a decent timing light for around 40$, you need one.

The engine dying out off idle is likely carb adjustment, but it could be ignition related.

When i said IGNITION related, I'm referring too anything related to the distributor (dizzy for short terms) meaning, plugs, wires, and dizzy.

Second it wouldn't be a bad idea to buy a vacuum gauge so you can check manifold vacuum. By this i mean, you measure how much vacuum you have at idle, typically around 4 inch's (correct me if I'm wrong) and this will help determine if you have a vacuum leak. Something to remember, carbs can develop vacuum leaks, as well as worn out rubber lines.

Don't get angry if it sounds like I'm talking to you like a kid, i don't mean too i just want to make sure you understand to the best that i can explain, what I'm explaining to you because you're close to having a nice ride, but the little things can be easily misinterpreted as big problems when they are just a simple fix.

No, no harm at all I actually like when people explain like that because you give me every single thing to do.
I have to be taught like that because I have a very short span, so if not tought like that i honestly will forget when I get off here and try to go do it.

thanks and I will try all of the above.

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
so I sorta fell out of the loop on this thread, but I've gone back and read thru. Congrats on the new motor!
the poor starting and bad idle of the motor could be a ignition or carb issue, as the others mentioned.

let's start with the ignition/distributer.
your distributer(dizzy) might or might not be wired correctly, but it's a good exercise to rewire it, or atleast troubleshoot the sytem. Here is a good video to learn how http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ixfDRbAr2E
First, I would inspect the system without taking anything appart, to see if it is wired the same way as the video shows.

As the guys mentioned, it's a good idea to get a timing light and set correct ignition timing on your engine. Your engine is either stock or very mild, and a good setting is 12 to 14deg advance at idle. Tinker with this setting once you get it to run smoothly.

Now, moving to carburater/induction.
what type of carburater do you have? Likely a 4barrel Qjet?
An engine that has trouble running at idle is either getting too much fuel, or not enough. But seeing as how it runs if you keep the rpms up, makes me think it is getting too much fuel... it's flooding at idle, and running rough if you keep the rpms up.

did you get that vacuum gauge yet? It's the best way to tune your carburator.
Before you get too deep into it, you should start by playing with your idle air/fuel mixture. The method will depend on the type of carb.
This video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ixfDRbAr2E is a good guide to carb tuning. It shows a Holley, but the concept and methods are the same.
You are looking for 15 to 18 inches of vacuum at idle. This is about normal for a stock or mild engine. 8 inches or lower, is too low for a mildly cam'd engine.
Start by playing with the idle speed setting by turning the idle speed screw. Then move onto playing with the idle mixture. You may need to go back and readjust the idle speed. It will take some time and alot of trial and error.

good luck,

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
khan0165 said:
so I sorta fell out of the loop on this thread, but I've gone back and read thru. Congrats on the new motor!
the poor starting and bad idle of the motor could be a ignition or carb issue, as the others mentioned.

let's start with the ignition/distributer.
your distributer(dizzy) might or might not be wired correctly, but it's a good exercise to rewire it, or atleast troubleshoot the sytem. Here is a good video to learn how http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ixfDRbAr2E
First, I would inspect the system without taking anything appart, to see if it is wired the same way as the video shows.

As the guys mentioned, it's a good idea to get a timing light and set correct ignition timing on your engine. Your engine is either stock or very mild, and a good setting is 12 to 14deg advance at idle. Tinker with this setting once you get it to run smoothly.

Now, moving to carburater/induction.
what type of carburater do you have? Likely a 4barrel Qjet?
An engine that has trouble running at idle is either getting too much fuel, or not enough. But seeing as how it runs if you keep the rpms up, makes me think it is getting too much fuel... it's flooding at idle, and running rough if you keep the rpms up.

did you get that vacuum gauge yet? It's the best way to tune your carburator.
Before you get too deep into it, you should start by playing with your idle air/fuel mixture. The method will depend on the type of carb.
This video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ixfDRbAr2E is a good guide to carb tuning. It shows a Holley, but the concept and methods are the same.
You are looking for 15 to 18 inches of vacuum at idle. This is about normal for a stock or mild engine. 8 inches or lower, is too low for a mildly cam'd engine.
Start by playing with the idle speed setting by turning the idle speed screw. Then move onto playing with the idle mixture. You may need to go back and readjust the idle speed. It will take some time and alot of trial and error.

good luck,

I am getting the light for free from a friend on here, he read I needed one so he asked if he could send me one that he had cause he had two.
So I am very lucky he read this and offered, Thanks again maddog.

As for the vacuum the guys are coming over again today to put the radiator and fan shroud on, so their going to check it and fix all the problems I have with the engine as of now.

But I will for sure come back on here and update anything that happens, also will update you all on what it was and what they did to fix it and everything.

Thanks for the videos I need things like this, cause I do think its getting a little to much gas.
But yeah your right its a 4barrel qjet.
So I will have all the tools I need to do the tests, he is sending out the light today or Thursday so I will tell you all when it comes in and they will most likely do the vacuum check when they arrive.

But thanks again for the videos and jumping back into the post.

CamaroAdam73

Royal Smart Person
This is just an option and probably not even necessary, but i have a nice holley 4160 (600CFM) carb sitting in it's box in my garage, we could probably work a fair deal. I'm hurting for money right now, and if you could afford lets say...75$ i'd try my best to help you set it up?

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
CamaroAdam73 said:
This is just an option and probably not even necessary, but i have a nice holley 4160 (600CFM) carb sitting in it's box in my garage, we could probably work a fair deal. I'm hurting for money right now, and if you could afford lets say...75$ i'd try my best to help you set it up?

The guy came and actually said I might need a new carb, because today I started it and fire came from it.
So I may actually take you up on that offer seriously soon.
75 is amazing honestly, I would need a little help to so that's even better.

I will get back to you in a couple days about it.
Thanks.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
I need more help, The last couple days I have been trying to get my shifter indicator to get correct.
I have tried the little wire under the column but I cant find it and don't know how to get to it.
But the guys came by today and said that's the way its supposed to be because its a new motor, but I don't/cant believe that.
It doesn't sound right to me, so I am just really wanting to fix this problem cause its getting on my nerves.

You all have helped me tc1959 has shows me what to do and how to do it but I just cant find the little wire.
There are alot of colored wires running in their but no chrome wire.

So what I am asking is how I could get this correct like if anyone knows how to get to the wire exactly that tc1959 has showed me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor