Problem, Knocking..continue

Status
Not open for further replies.

maddog20_20

Master Mechanic
Nov 20, 2010
St. Louis MO
David Williamson said:
The guy came and actually said I might need a new carb, because today I started it and fire came from it.
Thanks.

I would think backfiring through the carb would be a timing issue. Don't just start chasing "gremlins" with cash -- it will empty your pockets quickly.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
maddog20_20 said:
David Williamson said:
The guy came and actually said I might need a new carb, because today I started it and fire came from it.
Thanks.

I would think backfiring through the carb would be a timing issue. Don't just start chasing "gremlins" with cash -- it will empty your pockets quickly.

That's what i don't want I don't want to keep dropping money into things that could be fixed easily.

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
maddog20_20 said:
Don't just start chasing "gremlins" with cash -- it will empty your pockets quickly.
boy do i know this well!, wish i didnt have to learn the hard way... :|

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
beermonkey9417 said:
maddog20_20 said:
Don't just start chasing "gremlins" with cash -- it will empty your pockets quickly.
boy do i know this well!, wish i didnt have to learn the hard way... :|

Me too cause I have been there and I still am there actually, cause every time I hear someone say you might need this I just go out and get it.
It sucks but I am done I cant afford everything right now and I never could, lol.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
maddog20_20 said:
David Williamson said:
Thanks.

x2...it could be a simple as the spark plug wires not being correct

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
If you want to mess with your timing before the light gets there you can, if it is messed up then we can probably get it running then when the light shows up you can fine tune it. It is really simple to adjust timing. For now until you get the light it is as simple as loosening the distributor hold down so you can move the whole body of the distributor by the cap. It will rotate clockwise and counter clockwise. If you want you could mark the location before with a marker. Anyway loosen the hold down until you can spin the distributor by hand with some resistance, you dont want it so loose the hold down will come off. Have someone try to start the car and keep it running while your moving the distributor either way and see if it helps.(BE CAREFULE, DONT GET SHOCKED) Go both ways. Eventually it will find a point where the car will run and idle, you can fine tune it from there with the timing light. If it is backfiring really bad the distributor could be a tooth off on the gear. If it is that requires it to come out, number 1 cylinder put to TDC and dropped back in with the rotor facing the num 1 plug wire. Thats a whole nother operation though. Try adjusting it like i said above, hopefully you can get it idling and then time it proper when the light is in. Goodluck

oh and by the way did you ever check the plug wires like I recommended?

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
CHRIS.O said:
If you want to mess with your timing before the light gets there you can, if it is messed up then we can probably get it running then when the light shows up you can fine tune it. It is really simple to adjust timing. For now until you get the light it is as simple as loosening the distributor hold down so you can move the whole body of the distributor by the cap. It will rotate clockwise and counter clockwise. If you want you could mark the location before with a marker. Anyway loosen the hold down until you can spin the distributor by hand with some resistance, you dont want it so loose the hold down will come off. Have someone try to start the car and keep it running while your moving the distributor either way and see if it helps.(BE CAREFULE, DONT GET SHOCKED) Go both ways. Eventually it will find a point where the car will run and idle, you can fine tune it from there with the timing light. If it is backfiring really bad the distributor could be a tooth off on the gear. If it is that requires it to come out, number 1 cylinder put to TDC and dropped back in with the rotor facing the num 1 plug wire. Thats a whole nother operation though. Try adjusting it like i said above, hopefully you can get it idling and then time it proper when the light is in. Goodluck
x2!!!
follow this procedure! It's outlined exactly as Chris described also shown in video. It's a very common mistake if a distributer was ever pulled and put back in. Very easy to get one gear tooth off and the whole ignition will act wierd.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
pontiacgp said:
maddog20_20 said:
David Williamson said:
Thanks.

x2...it could be a simple as the spark plug wires not being correct

I did do the tune up so all new spark plugs.
But I understand what you mean though.
So I am just going to stick with the timing chain and get this light and try to fix that.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
CHRIS.O said:

oh and by the way did you ever check the plug wires like I recommended?

Okay I will go out there and do that.
I am going to take my mom to work then I will try my best to get this in line.

Thanks for the directions Khan also gave me a video so I will know exactly how to do this, so thank you both.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
khan0165 said:
CHRIS.O said:
x2!!!
follow this procedure! It's outlined exactly as Chris described also shown in video. It's a very common mistake if a distributer was ever pulled and put back in. Very easy to get one gear tooth off and the whole ignition will act wierd.

I actually think they took that off and put it back on didn't seem like they cared how it went on.
So I am sure this might be the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor