Problem, Knocking..continue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Sheep

Master Mechanic
Sep 24, 2010
Waynesville, Ohio
Black Sheep said:
Have you checked the bolts that hold the torque convertor on?

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
here's a little $8 vacuum gauge that Princess Auto carries... Like I said, just call up a tools store, doesn't have to be a auto related shop.

The started really only attaches with two bolts. I can see a problem if one or both bolts are loose. Also, the starter might not be retracting after the motor starts up. And the gear might still be messed with your flywheel.

in either case... get under there and take a look. Look for scratches or signs of damage. Then also try it with the car running... Just watch your hands

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
Update, I looked under the car at the starter and saw no marks so it isn't that, but I have a mechanic coming by later on today to see if he can determine what it is.

Cause I am carless my daughter has appointments coming up and my wife has to be at work on time cause shes being told shes close to fired.

I am driving my moms jeep for right now to take her to work seeing as my car is done for, for the time being.
But when/if he comes by I will tell everyone what it is he thinks it is.
But if he doesn't come by I guess I will just have to take it to a shop for them to check it out.

But I greatly appreciate you all being here for me and helping me when my family wont even help.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
That sucks man, really wish I was close by I would come take a look for ya.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
don't be hard on the family, at least you have your mom's jeep to drive..and it's not the middle of the winter

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
pontiacgp said:
don't be hard on the family, at least you have your mom's jeep to drive..and it's not the middle of the winter

Yeah true but, its actually a huge problem with my stepdad.
He doesn't like anyone driving "his jeep" he bought it for my mom, so he has a huge problem with anyone but him and my mom driving it.

He just gets a rude attitude about it all thew time, that's why half the time we have to sneak it so he wont know.

But as long as I have something to drive no matter what, I am happy and very in love with life.
As long as my family gets taken care of I am happy.

CamaroAdam73

Royal Smart Person
megaladon6 said:
with that kind of sound, don't even bother trying anything, it's not worth the time. just pull the head. whether it's a small nut, a bad rod, or a bad valve you'd have to do it anyway.
X2

You need to face the music here. Stop dicking around, buy a top end gasket rebuild kit (head gasket, intake..ext) and pull the heads. I watched the video, and it doesn't sound good. Like megaladon said, it doesn't matter weather it's a bad valve, bad rod, something on the piston, bearings, whatever. Either way that engines needs to come apart.

You're going to need a Torque wrench, and likely an engine crane. I don't know how much experience you have working on engines, and i mean REAL experience, but i think you should get some help from either a mechanic, or a friend that knows what he is doing.

I'm not trying to sound harsh, just telling you what the truth of the situation likely is, sometimes the truth is tough.

Btw, i wouldn't run it any further, you could only end up doing more damage, and by that i mean having to have machine work done, or wiping out a bearing.

You can try one other thing before pulling the engine, Drop the trans, or slide it back but either way get the Torque converter off the engine and fire it up. I don't know if it's my audio or i'm just hearing it wrong but it sounds like somethings almost rolling around, and if your hearing GRINDING nosiness, that's usually transmission related.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if it is a problem with the engine if I remember correctly it's a 3.8....it's be easier and maybe not that much more expensive to drop a 350 into it...or get another 3.8

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor