problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
I have been having this problem for about 4 days now and I cannot tell what it is.
I turn the key and it just makes a tick noise not constantly just one tick you will hear it in the video.
But I will turn it over a few times and it will tick then after a few tries it will start and run perfectly fine, but its a constant thing it will always tick now the first few tries of trying to turn it on, I am just tired of this problem and want to fix it asap.
I was hoping someone on here could possibly identify the problem and tell me if its bad or if its no problem.

Here's the video it will explain alot more then I can on here.
http://youtu.be/JGj9UoSYUak

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
Check your terminals to the battery and the starter, you might have a loose one. Also make sure the starter bolts are tight as well. I would also check you battery strength and if that's not it, the solenoid might be on it's way out or the starter is ******** the bed. Not a real serious issue though. Get her fixed before it doesn't start. Keep us posted and let us know how you make out 8)

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
JBreu said:
Check your terminals to the battery and the starter, you might have a loose one. Also make sure the starter bolts are tight as well. I would also check you battery strength and if that's not it, the solenoid might be on it's way out or the starter is ******** the bed. Not a real serious issue though. Get her fixed before it doesn't start. Keep us posted and let us know how you make out 8)

Alright thanks, I will go check the starter and stuff cause I know its not the battery and the terminals are tight.
But I will check the starter bolts and the starter itself.
Thanks again, going outside for a while to go check everything.

Pennsy86Montessguy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 27, 2010
Eastern Penn's Woods
It's the starter. What happens is this: There's a set of brushes inside that hang up when they get old, thus no contact.

Give the starter a whack with a BFH and the brushes will drop down and it should turn over.

R&R the starter.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
Pennsy86Montessguy said:
It's the starter. What happens is this: There's a set of brushes inside that hang up when they get old, thus no contact.

Give the starter a whack with a BFH and the brushes will drop down and it should turn over.

R&R the starter.

What exactly is bfh? Also where can I get it?

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
Pennsy86Montessguy said:

R&R the starter.

Sorry took me a second now I get it hahahaha, wow can we all say slow!

outsider_27

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
I had an 83 Delta 88 that one day I went out and tried to start it and it didn't even turn over after it started fine the day before. I replaced the starter, nothing. Replaced the positive battery cable, nothing. Then I cleaned the terminals on both batteries ( former diesel car), even though they looked clean, then it started fine. Take a brush to the terminals and cables before going to the parts store.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
outsider_27 said:
I had an 83 Delta 88 that one day I went out and tried to start it and it didn't even turn over after it started fine the day before. I replaced the starter, nothing. Replaced the positive battery cable, nothing. Then I cleaned the terminals on both batteries ( former diesel car), even though they looked clean, then it started fine. Take a brush to the terminals and cables before going to the parts store.

Okay I will make sure I do that before heading out tomorrow, so if this works then I can save money and time.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
Just replace the starter. It eventually isnt going to respond to tapping on it with a hammer. They arent much and do not take long to install.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor