PROJECT "LAID BACK" - 1978 CENTURY 2 DOOR AEROBACK

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Good scores! Its an issue with the 350, dont know about the 455, 68-73 350s had different water jackets than 74+, so be aware of that possibility on the BB. I searched a little and havent come up with anything saying you can't..
According to this, http://www.v8buick.com/index.php?threads/75-455-block-and-70-heads.18883/, you can swap old heads onto newer block, but not new heads on older block. Not that youd want to. So you should be good.
That's the way I understand it. Good to go... to the machine shop.

At this time I have- block core / head cores / carb core / transmission core. I need one more core... Explorer 8.8 rear axle core. I'm going to wait for the 50% off sale at the J-yard for that one. I was there yesterday, and they are very plentiful. I checked , and easily found (2) limited slip disc brake rear axles that were complete disc to disc, and just walked past the other (8) Explorers.

Thanks to everyone who continues to check, like, and support this project. You are appreciated!

Reactions: 4 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Grab 2 Explorer rearends on 1/2 off day. You're already there and have the tools with you. Keep the best for yourself and sell the other to pay for the keeper. I was getting $350-$450 in my area. Made a good side hustle.
Short cut that may not need mentioning is to separate the driveline at the rear Ujoint (while under the car) so that the flange stays with the rearend. No need to fight those 4 12 point bolts in the yard. You'll need the flange anyway -- less work all around.

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Wheeler-Dealer! Nice score James!

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I feel your pain on the engine stand, I bought a second one when I did the head and cam swap on my Olds 350. My 403 block has been hogging the other one for a few years. My shop is a too small mess with huge cracks in the floor and manuvering two, let alone 3 motors sucked and one was just a bare block. Good to hear you found early heads. I don't what makes the later heads so awful other than larger combustion chambers but supposedly they are. I know some Olds heads like the 2A, 3A, 4A an J heads are awful but the #8 heads just need a bowl hog to make them a decent head. Either way get this Buford Hunchback together.

Reactions: 1 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Grab 2 Explorer rearends on 1/2 off day. You're already there and have the tools with you. Keep the best for yourself and sell the other to pay for the keeper. I was getting $350-$450 in my area. Made a good side hustle.
Short cut that may not need mentioning is to separate the driveline at the rear Ujoint (while under the car) so that the flange stays with the rearend. No need to fight those 4 12 point bolts in the yard. You'll need the flange anyway -- less work all around.
I LIKE IT!! Maybe I should ask Jared to go with me.... HHmmm??

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Either way get this Buford Hunchback together.
I may just have to get a nice sticker made for the back window..... BUFORD HUNCHBACK. I f'n love it! You guys crack me up:giggle::giggle::giggle:

Reactions: 6 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I feel your pain on the engine stand, I bought a second one when I did the head and cam swap on my Olds 350. My 403 block has been hogging the other one for a few years. My shop is a too small mess with huge cracks in the floor and manuvering two, let alone 3 motors sucked and one was just a bare block. Good to hear you found early heads. I don't what makes the later heads so awful other than larger combustion chambers but supposedly they are. I know some Olds heads like the 2A, 3A, 4A an J heads are awful but the #8 heads just need a bowl hog to make them a decent head. Either way get this Buford Hunchback together.
Massively choked down. TA Performance wont even accept 75/76 heads for cores or port work.

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
I know it has been a couple weeks since I updated this thread, but I have been selling a few things, and saving money for this project. But I just spent some of it... I have abandoned the Rally Wheel option, and went with the Jegs Black SSR Star wheels. This will be my "street / strip" setup. ( I will have another set of wheels that will be more "modern", probably a 17/18" combo. I'll do that later, after the car is up and running ). These wheels are good looking, have a very nice powder coated finish, and are cheap $$. I bought them on sale, and had a coupon. Soooo... These are 15x4 skinnies, with Firestone F560 165/80/15 radial tires. The rears are 15x8 w/4.5" backspace, and a 4x4.5" Ford pattern, for use with the Explorer rear end I will get at the J-Yard Friday ( It's 50% off this Holiday weekend - The 8.8 limited slip, disk brake rear axle assy. will only cost me $55). I have not made a decision on the rear tires just yet. I need a sticky set of drag radials, but you guys know they are pricey, so I will do my research, and wait for a deal, before I pull the trigger on those. Here is a pic of the wheel. I bought the optional black center caps, and black lug nuts, as well.
IMG_0469.JPG

I plan to remove the the Jegs logo completely, or find a nice Buick logo to replace it with.
IMG_0470.JPG

I have been in the attic, looking for some other small parts I can put to good use. A new negative battery cable, 2 billet fan spacers ( 1" & 3" ), new black window cranks, newer style wire loom cover, and a tachometer wiring harness.

IMG_0408.JPG

I also scored the ultimate set of rear sail panels for this car. These rot quickly from the sun, due to the extra large rear window in the Aeroback. These were literally rotted into a thousand pieces in my car, and the only thing still there were the mounting screws, LOL. I had bought a set out of Ohio, several weeks back. They were only about a 5 out of 10, and thought I would have to live with them. Negative... I found a really nice set that are a solid 8 out of 10, and once I clean and paint, they will be 10's. Very Fortunate to have these... Now if I can just get a headliner figured out... that's another story for a later update. Here's the pics.
IMG_0405.JPG

IMG_0406.JPG

I'll update this weekend once I have made the trip to the J-Yard. I plan to get the Explorer 8.8 rear axle, and my Blazer spindles for the front brake upgrade. See ya!

Reactions: 7 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
I think I forgot to add this score I made. I had (2) Amazon gift cards that I won at work, and used them to get these Taylor plug wires ( Thanks MrSony for the referral ). Made in USA. So these were free to me. You guys know how I do it...
IMG_0407.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
This is at MCACN this year - dig the sign next to it:

Muscle-Car-and-Corvette-Nationals-24.JPG

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor