PROJECT " LAID BACK 2 " - 1978 SALON 2 DOOR AEROBACK

pagrunt

pagrunt

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Imagine the Butless GN/GNX...
Now we need some one to build one.
I don't have to worry about rust/corrosion on these parts.
Aluminum still can have corrosion issues. Contact with dissimular metals leads to it to get a case of it's version of tin worms. The steel brackets on my original aluminum bumper bars ate them up. Of course road salt didn't help either.

• Agree
Reactions: Rktpwrd
JAMCAR223

JAMCAR223

G-Body Guru
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Now we need some one to build one.

Maybe one day, remember I also have the Buick Century Aero ( Buford Hunchback ). I have (3) Buick 455's and a bunch of parts, but nothing is set in stone. It does sound like a fun project.

Aluminum still can have corrosion issues. Contact with dissimular metals leads to it to get a case of it's version of tin worms. The steel brackets on my original aluminum bumper bars ate them up. Of course road salt didn't help either.
I agree on the dissimilar metals, but my parts are clean ( will rarely if ever see rain much less snow ) and road salt just isn't an issue in Houston.

JAMCAR223

JAMCAR223

G-Body Guru
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Just a couple more parts I've rounded up.

Aluminum rear bumper support. It's in great shape, and will clean up nicely. Purchased from a Forum Member ( thanks Derrick! ). Out of respect for him, I will not disclose the price, but it was a great deal.
IMG_1015.JPG

Retractable under hood light from a 1992 Chevy truck. It has an integral on/off switch, 25 foot cord, and a magnetic base on the light itself. I will make a mounting plate for it, and probably mount it on the Dr. side rear trunk hinge. I should be able to reach any part of the car, if needed. I'll clean it up a little more ( 303 / Back to Black, etc ) and add a LED bulb. $5 at the J-yard
IMG_1014.JPG

The aluminum hood is on it's way as of yesterday. The seller had a sick family member, that ultimately ended up passing away, which delayed the shipping. Family first, I say. We decided on Fastenal as the shipper. Got my fingers crossed on this one... I've never used them to ship anything before. It was definitely affordable, and insured, but I'm a little worried. Parts have to be palletized, so forklifts and aluminum hoods, make me a little nervous. Hoping for the best. We will find out soon...

69hurstolds

69hurstolds

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 2, 2006
I agree on the dissimilar metals, but my parts are clean ( will rarely if ever see rain much less snow ) and road salt just isn't an issue in Houston.
But if you have moisture (humidity) and steel/stainless steel and aluminum are touching, you'll have a battery. Thus, galvanic corrosion. You can paint and isolate via gaskets/nylon washers, etc., but you WILL get corrosion even if it never sees rain or salted snow roads. Stainless steel will kill aluminum, and aluminum will kill steel. Kind of a paper/rock/scissors deal. Obviously if it's garaged, it will slow it down. Probably be ok until you sell it or die. :) But it will still happen unless you separate the metals as to not touch each other. That's why aluminum trim is anodized. It's just a thicker corrosive layer to protect the galvanic action of corrosion. Sand it off without painting or some sort of protective layer and it will corrode, too.

JAMCAR223

JAMCAR223

G-Body Guru
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Small score today. Found on FB Marketplace, about 10 minutes away from the house. I had been watching this item for a couple weeks. Listing started out for $30. Then 2 weeks later it dropped to $20. I offered $15, and said I'd come pick it up. She said "Yes".
98-05 Blazer 2WD front hub assembly. Brand new in the box.
IMG_1017.JPG

JAMCAR223

JAMCAR223

G-Body Guru
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
The aluminum hood is here. Fastenal called today, and I left work early to go pick it up. It was raining here, so I did not unpack it all the way. I did check for obvious damage, and it looks good. Derrick did an awesome job of packaging this. I'll get a better pic this weekend. Here it is.
IMG_1018.JPG

So I now have-
- Aluminum hood w/ the correct lightweight hood hinges
- Aluminum core support
- Aluminum front bumper support
- Aluminum rear bumper support
- Aluminum drive shaft
- Aluminum intake manifold
- Aluminum accessory brackets
- Aluminum / Plastic FBody radiator

I need to purchase-
- Aluminum rear drums ( Kirban sells the new repops )
- Aluminum bumper brackets ( ditching the heavy bumper shocks )

Last edited:
JAMCAR223

JAMCAR223

G-Body Guru
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
It's going to be so light, you're going to have to cut the springs to keep it from looking like a 4 x 4. :)
I plan on it... I just edited the previous post, because I forgot ( see, we're both getting old ) about the aluminum / plastic FBody radiator :giggle:

Reactions: Rktpwrd
JAMCAR223

JAMCAR223

G-Body Guru
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
So I got another delivery today. I found a couple of items on Craigslist East Texas ( Tyler, TX - 3.5 hrs away ), and had the guy ship them to me. I got -
- Edelbrock Quiet Flo #1791 electric fuel pump ( pre set @ 6.5 lbs for carb applications ) - brand new in the box
- Chrome thermostat housing w/ gasket, L hose, stainless clamps, and ARP stainless 12 point bolts
- (2) Chrome dip sticks - brand new never installed ( don't know what the deal is with the tape OLD & NEW ?? They are both new... Old style - new style ?? IDK or care...

The pump alone sells for $208-215. I got everything for $100 + $20 to ship. Well under half price. Thank you very much!

IMG_1019.JPG

olds307 and 403

olds307 and 403

Geezer
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
So I got another delivery today. I found a couple of items on Craigslist East Texas ( Tyler, TX - 3.5 hrs away ), and had the guy ship them to me. I got -
- Edelbrock Quiet Flo #1791 electric fuel pump ( pre set @ 6.5 lbs for carb applications ) - brand new in the box
- Chrome thermostat housing w/ gasket, L hose, stainless clamps, and ARP stainless 12 point bolts
- (2) Chrome dip sticks - brand new never installed ( don't know what the deal is with the tape OLD & NEW ?? They are both new... Old style - new style ?? IDK or care...

The pump alone sells for $208-215. I got everything for $100 + $20 to ship. Well under half price. Thank you very much!

View attachment 118583
Let us know what you think of the Edelbrock fuel pump. Good call that, you saw how much hacking I had to do. I will be taking a 1/2 hour one way then a two hour trip to see how it does. Those chrome thermostat housing can be a b*tch to seal. Sand it and do a double gasket and either the Permatex water pump RTV, the Right Stuff or Ultra Black between the layers. Many have had issues. I have had issues sealing any housing on aluminum intakes. The Factory iron and the RobMc billet housing seals the best. There is a factory aluminum housing. One came on my 76 350, have it on my Performer. On a factory aluminum intake I can see it, this was a factory iron intake. The chrome dipstick I find I need to grind the end to fit into the block and then then it fits loose in the block. Supposedly if you oblong it, it will help it fit tighter.

• Agree
Reactions: fleming442

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck ConsolesDixie Restoration DepotMike's MontesP-S-TSouthside Machine PerformanceUMI Performance

contact[email protected]for info on becoming a sponsor