BUILD THREAD Project long time coming

What's that shock brace do exactly? I'm struggling to envision it.
It simply ties the two frame rails together at a convenient bolt on point. Any additional bracing our cars can get, help. Especially when you're trying to make one handle.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users
Yeah, the frames are pretty weak on these cars and I don't think you can go wrong adding just about anywhere, I just wonder what the actual effect is of tying those 2 together. On a mac strut car, a tower brace reinforces a part of the car that bears the weight, not so much here. Not trying to poo poo your thread, even though it totally seems like I am. Sorry about that.

Yeah, the frames are pretty weak on these cars and I don't think you can go wrong adding just about anywhere, I just wonder what the actual effect is of tying those 2 together. On a mac strut car, a tower brace reinforces a part of the car that bears the weight, not so much here. Not trying to poo poo your thread, even though it totally seems like I am. Sorry about that.
It adds bracing where it only helps things. Another brace between the rear rails @ the bumper mounts is a good idea as well.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Picked up the rearend last night.

20230107_090619.jpg

FedEx dropped off some parts I ordered today.

20230107_133447.jpg

20230107_133438.jpg

Lower control arms with rotojoints, and upper rotojoints.

Was worried about getting the old, original bushings out of the rearend, but the air chisel made quick work of the job. New bushings were able to be gently tapped into place and are secured by circlips.

20230107_135741.jpg

20230107_140450.jpg

20230107_140505.jpg

Got the old arms out, and the new ones in. Forgot how much of a PITA the bolts ate where the go thru the frame.

20230107_161133.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get the rearend bolted back in. That's all for now.

• Winner
Reactions: 7 users
If you want to know what painful feels like - grab a set of the braces from UMI that connect the upper and lower arm bolts. I hope to never take those bolts or the arms back off.

Looks great though. I seen an air hammer in the background, did you use that to get the old rubber mounts out of the rear?

• Agree
Lower control arms with rotojoints, and upper rotojoints.
Let me guess, that sale they just had made you buy them. I have the round tube set with just one roto joint for both upper & lower. Other than just having to adjust the rear itself those went in with ease. Now if I can just get everything else together & finished so I can see how the ride is with them.

Reactions: 5 users
If you want to know what painful feels like - grab a set of the braces from UMI that connect the upper and lower arm bolts. I hope to never take those bolts or the arms back off.

Looks great though. I seen an air hammer in the background, did you use that to get the old rubber mounts out of the rear?
Yes, hit the bushings with the air hammer to compress them in on themselves, then worked them out. First one was a little learning curve, second one came out in 30 seconds.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor