BUILD THREAD Project long time coming

Well I was finally able to spend a little time on the car. Figured I'd mock up the new brakes to make sure everything would fit the way it was supposed to. They say you need a minimum on 18" wheels to run these. They are correct. Holy crap these things are huge 😳 Matter of fact, the wheel won't turn unless I remove the wheel weights it's so close. They definitely fill out the wheel though. There is a drop on the inside edge of the wheel, hopefully they can just be rebalanced with the weights there and zero out. Fingers crossed. New wheels are not in the budget for next year.

Started with the ZQ8 brakes

View attachment 208483

C6 ZO6 six piston calipers and 14" rotors

View attachment 208487

View attachment 208484

View attachment 208485

View attachment 208486

View attachment 208488
Oh man.... That screams seriousness.

Hubba hubba!

Just wait until you try them out for the first time
No Problem Thumbs Up GIF

Great job Shawn. It’s really great to see them pick you out at that particular show with thousands of beautiful hotrod modified cars.

Your car is a beauty and to be proud of - well done!!!!

I'll start from the beginning. Car runs great, but smokes a little on full throttle acceleration. No idea how many miles this short block, or the heads I put on it have on them. Didn't really check much out, kinda just followed the Sloppy guide and stuffed it together. Cylinder walls looked good with crosshatch still visible, and no scoring.
I've been going back and forth between a stroker kit, making a 408, .030 over bore and 4.0" stroke, or just putting flat top pistons in it to raise the compression.
Decided to pull the trigger on the flat tops. Like normal, you get into the Ole, while I'm in here I might as well... fill in the blank. So then I went down that road and was looking at rec port heads. But I can't find them used for a reasonable price, so while the 243 heads are off for the pistons to go in, I'll send them out and have them cnc ported. Between upping the compression .75 points, and better flowing heads that should get me closer to where I want to be.

20221202_182110.jpg

I'll start from the beginning. Car runs great, but smokes a little on full throttle acceleration. No idea how many miles this short block, or the heads I put on it have on them. Didn't really check much out, kinda just followed the Sloppy guide and stuffed it together. Cylinder walls looked good with crosshatch still visible, and no scoring.
I've been going back and forth between a stroker kit, making a 408, .030 over bore and 4.0" stroke, or just putting flat top pistons in it to raise the compression.
Decided to pull the trigger on the flat tops. Like normal, you get into the Ole, while I'm in here I might as well... fill in the blank. So then I went down that road and was looking at rec port heads. But I can't find them used for a reasonable price, so while the 243 heads are off for the pistons to go in, I'll send them out and have them cnc ported. Between upping the compression .75 points, and better flowing heads that should get me closer to where I want to be.

View attachment 212179
Red port heads aren't worth much on a 4" bore. 243 or 796/862 is the way to go.

Good choice
Excited Joe Biden GIF by GIPHY News

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor