BUILD THREAD Project Olds Cool (Recognition!!)

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Ok, enough about panel bond.

Now that I finally had my patch panel created, the next step was to prepare the opening for the patch.
I still had some rough edges and some extra material that needed cleaning up before I could test fit.

Using a fresh sharp blade on an Olfa knife, I deburred the edges of the opening, and ensured there was no adhesive between the roof support and skin that would interfere with the front flange sliding under.

With that done all around, time for the initial test fit.
Here's the results of that:

IMG_2584.JPG

Again, it's tough to see in the pic, but for the initial test, it fits VERY well. A little more tweaking to the size of the opening will be required, but that's about it.

I snapped a couple close-up pics of where the patch fits properly, and laid a straight edge across it so you can see how well it's going to work.

Across the top center of the roof:

IMG_2585.JPG

And across the outer edge by the drip rail:

IMG_2586.JPG

I'm very happy with the results thus far, I really think this is the best way to repair this.

That's it for today's progress, I'll leave you with a couple more, well, just because!

IMG_2587.JPG

IMG_2588.JPG

IMG_2589.JPG

Thanks for checking back everyone!
Another update tomorrow night.

D.

• Winner
Reactions: 8 users

dr78442

G-Body Guru
Mar 15, 2010
massapequa park NY
Well done! I have learned more about sheet metal repair from viewing your 2 very detailed threads. Cyber beer to you my friend for all the hard work you do on both the cars and threads

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

85442/86buick

G-Body Guru
Feb 12, 2013
Perth Country , Ontario
Impressive , not that we're surprised you have set the bar pretty high.
on a side note , flash rusting on bare metal in your garage never happens, is there a trick ?

Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Awesome work Donovan. I couldn't agree more with the repair approach.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
As usual Donovan, when i picture what the repair plans are, you usually throw a curveball! I love the idea of the panelbond adhesive, I've never personally used it, but it's some strong stuff!
When one sees exotic car manufacturers using it to assemble 200mph+ cars, it's gotta be legit!
I'm certain you'll cover it, but what's the plan on filling the gap on the topside?

Looking great brother, excited to see the next installment of "Mr. Ridler's metal fab/repair skills, volume deus lol"!!!!!

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
I was actually going to ask if you were going to bond it. Its really great stuff. You are doing a great job sir !

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

sportriderOK

Greasemonkey
Mar 3, 2016
Mannford, OK
Very impressive work! Glad to hear you trust the panel bonding, I just finished a small patch on the backside of one of my quarter windows, and used the adhesive on it. Deciding to trust it was the hardest part of the repair for me!

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
Great work as always Donovan. I love the way you're going about this. I was expecting to learn how to weld a roof panel without warping it and you went in a direction I didn't even think about. I agree that this method should be easier and you won't have to worry about warping the roof. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
The roof patch panel looks like it will work out very nicely Donovan! Good to see you got the extent of the rust in the roof in one shoot...that inner roof structure looks pretty clean. At this rate I have a feeling you'll have Olds Cool well on the road to repair before I could get any kind of parts car home.

Reactions: 2 users

malibujustin

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2017
Very nice work. And good pics and write up. Looking forward to see how you are going to clamp down the patch.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor