BUILD THREAD Project Olds Cool (Recognition!!)

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
  • Optimistic
Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Well I found it. The limit of my patience.
🤬🤬🤬

View attachment 119068
No!!!! Say it ain't so!!! We all think that you are the God of bodywork and custom touches. You can do it, show us we are right🙂. When you get this car done, I suggest a bubble skirt to go around the car. My wife usually picks a spot for the Challenger at the far side of the parking lot away from idiots, around nice vehicles if at all possible. We had way too many door dings and outright big scratches on the last one from other people.

Reactions: 1 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
No!!!! Say it ain't so!!! We all think that you are the God of bodywork and custom touches. You can do it, show us we are right🙂. When you get this car done, I suggest a bubble skirt to go around the car. My wife usually picks a spot for the Challenger at the far side of the parking lot away from idiots, around nice vehicles if at all possible. We had way too many door dings and outright big scratches on the last one from other people.

This is why I don't mind parking like an ******* in the furthest spot away from people, because there is always some d-bag who wants to park next to you somehow end up with door dings/scratches. I had to put like 3 grand into getting them all out of the GTO a few years ago, from what I hear the GTO paint is pretty fragile'

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
This is why I don't mind parking like an ******* in the furthest spot away from people, because there is always some d-bag who wants to park next to you somehow end up with door dings/scratches. I had to put like 3 grand into getting them all out of the GTO a few years ago, from what I hear the GTO paint is pretty fragile'
The Challenger's paint is also pretty fragile, our 2010 was worse. It sounds like Dodge in general isn't great. It is another reason I don't want 10 grand in paint on either of my old cars. A door ding would kill me.

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Yeah mine is fragile', its french and very fancy

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
The Challenger's paint is also pretty fragile, our 2010 was worse. It sounds like Dodge in general isn't great. It is another reason I don't want 10 grand in paint on either of my old cars. A door ding would kill me.

Basic white my dude, basic white.

Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Donovan,

You can still save that piece. It will buff out. 🤣 Just kidding bud. Sorry to see you lost so much time in that piece but I think many of us have been there. I know you will overcome this minor setback.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Basic white my dude, basic white.
Just be ready for stone chips and door dings. Our last one was Stone White. My BIL was telling me how the last gen Dodge trucks paint just peeled off.

Reactions: 1 user

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Thanks for everyone’s comments.

Contrary to popular opinion, I am not infallible, not blessed with limitless patience, nor a “God of Bodywork”.
I’m just a regular joe like any of you, and I do have my limits. Unfortunately for me (and that piece of trim), I had just had enough.

What you guys don’t see are the countless hours I have into stripping, straightening, sanding, tweaking, adjusting, fine tuning and trying to perfect these mouldings. I’d already put more thought and effort into these mouldings than most guys would ever even consider in a full redo, nevermind on one pair of mouldings.

The series of events and straw that broke the camel’s back that led to that particular uncharacteristic fit of rage was I had it absolutely perfect off the car. Smooth, straight as an arrow, and beautiful on the bench, but when I put it on the car, 3 of the more heavily worked areas immediately buckled and turned into low spots. I attribute this to the fact that the doors themselves aren’t perfectly straight, they’ve got a slight curvature to them. Try and put a straight moulding on a curved door, and something’s gotta give I guess.

Once I found these 3 areas, naturally I attempted to fix them. Nothing, and I do mean NOTHING worked. I tried making them slightly proud so that they’d level out when installed, they just “oil canned” and popped back down creating a bigger dent.
I tried heating and quenching them in order to shrink the areas, the material just buckled and creased. I tried bringing the low spots up on the bench and working the highs down on the door, nothing worked. So finally I just let my repressed primal rage loose on it for a moment, and I’m not gonna lie, it felt pretty good.

So anyways, moving forward I’m going to go with Plan A, what you’ve seen so far has actually been Plan B.
Plan A was to get the door belt mouldings as good as I could, then actually bodywork and paint them to match the rest of the trim. (I’ll delve more into what I’m thinking here on this later) This presents a new range of challenges however, mostly in trying to replicate the textured sand scratches and match the color of the raw mouldings closely. Plan B was tried first to see if it was possible to restore the mouldings with conventional methods, and we can all see how that turned out.
😕

I’ll be doing some experimentation and probably a lot of trial and error in the next little while to try and find a technique that’ll work, so that’s what y’all can expect to come next. Wish me luck.

D.

Reactions: 9 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor