BUILD THREAD Project Olds Cool (Recognition!!)

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
I have rock dents on both my B pillar moldings I’d like to fix but afraid to touch for fear of similar fukstration. Cannot buy them anymore that I know of? Not real high on my priority list but may get around to giving “fixing” a try when the ole girl is back together and drivable.

Oh, and good luck (y)

Reactions: 1 user

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
D I understand completely. If you're going with a paint technique I've had good luck with running a Scotch-Brite pad over wet silver base coat to obtain a look of brushed aluminum I've also used that technique to obtain the look of wood grain good luck with it D

• Useful
Reactions: 4 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I have rock dents on both my B pillar moldings I’d like to fix but afraid to touch for fear of similar fukstration. Cannot buy them anymore that I know of? Not real high on my priority list but may get around to giving “fixing” a try when the ole girl is back together and drivable.

Oh, and good luck (y)
There are repros for T-top cars. If you don't have T-tops you'll need to trim the top of them to match your current moldings.

Link:

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 user

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I’m still dorking around with trim, I got the new/old troublesome passenger side belt moulding as good as it’s gonna get before having to shoot some product. I’ll explain in more detail later, but for now here’s what I’m kinda thinking...

A16151D8-C55A-43BF-81F4-B1575EE5B722.jpeg

02E1E6C4-F886-4DF8-9B8B-38A4A87E622A.jpeg

It’s just straight base tinter, not even a color. I’m contemplating the possibility of trying to do a blend so that the natural finish is still at the ends of the trim, but it’s going to be extremely tricky to pull off, if it’s even possible.

So while I’m waiting to get all my ducks in a row to make that happen, I’ve been dabbling with a couple other things.

Stripped, smoothed and tweaked the fitment on the header panel spear...

EB62FEDD-FFFF-42B3-94C2-E7A13BCAFB58.jpeg

2ABBDCF9-1BA8-46BB-9019-6D7218BB6486.jpeg

...then spent a bit of time fixing some rock dings on one of the headlight trim rings. Once those were fixed, I gave the whole thing the brushed treatment with 120. Fairly tough to do being stainless, and not 100% sure the juice is worth the squeeze, but I’ve done one now so I guess I’m committed.
I’ll be replacing the 4 screws for each trim ring with stainless ones this time, because

A) The original steel ones welded themselves in place with rust, and

B) Because the rust film from them spread down the rings and made a helluva mess all the way onto the header panel.

Between the rust film and the overspray from the last careless repaint, it took quite a bit of effort to get this thing cleaned up.

09B90885-917C-44DB-9F60-F47A4F6D2FE2.jpeg

Luckily the other 3 don’t look to be quite as bad.

Bored after only the first ring, I decided to move on and see how creating the brushed finish would look on one of the headlight bezels. This took a combination of red ScotchBrite, 220 grit, and a whole pile of elbow grease to achieve the look.

Half done (have to look closely):

DEF2E00C-7866-4F3A-AC48-605074554F85.jpeg

A510EF6D-BC59-4B06-93EF-44B4197F975B.jpeg

...and completely done mocked up with the finished trim ring.

41FE9148-C256-4E73-984E-A518C2C641AF.jpeg

These bezels are original to the car and nearly 40 years old so they’re not perfect and pretty pitted up, but I think they turned out alright nonetheless. Certainly good enough for my plans for the car.

Guys, I’m still in dire need of a good, usable passenger side ‘80 Calais grille for this thing. I have the original, but the chrome along the bottom edge of it is peeling and that’ll make it nearly impossible to do the brushed finish on. If ANYONE has a lead on one, PLEASE get in touch with me. I’m getting desperate to find one.

That’s it for now, thanks as always for looking in on things!

D.

Reactions: 10 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Pm me a picture of the grill so I can send it to my cousin and have him check the trailers

Reactions: 2 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I'm so confused. I dig the brushed look, but are you painting it?
Bruce, he is sanding the trim on most of the car to get the brushed look, then clearing it to protect. The tinted paint is an experiment he is gonna try on the wide mouldings on top of door where he has been battling the dings and dents and such.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor