BUILD THREAD Project Olds Cool (Recognition!!)

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Donovan, you still amaze me with your skill set, patience and diligence. I wish you would put something under the hood that makes your detail turn into the ultimate sleeper - driveability and 9 second 1/4 mile times on a drag radial that fits in the wheel well :):).

You are an artist with these cars and it's impressive every time I review your threads. My hat is off to you.

• Agree
Reactions: 9 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Glad to see you went brushed on them as well

Reactions: 1 user

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Geez o peet you have a remarkable amount of patience D!!!! The effort put in speaks for itself in the results, those look awesome!!! Keep chipping away buddy!

Thanks Scott.
With all the difficulties I’ve been experiencing lately, it’s been really hard to establish any kind of rhythm and maintain the motivation. Small victories like getting these done and outta the way go a long way to helping restablish it.

Appreciate the comment my friend.

Donovan, you still amaze me with your skill set, patience and diligence. I wish you would put something under the hood that makes your detail turn into the ultimate sleeper - driveability and 9 second 1/4 mile times on a drag radial that fits in the wheel well :):).

You are an artist with these cars and it's impressive every time I review your threads. My hat is off to you.

Wow, thanks Jim!
Every once in a while one of you guys will catch me off guard with a comment, and you certainly did that. I wasn’t even aware you were following the build!!

As for the mill under the hood, a time and a place, and a purpose for every build.
As much as everything you mentioned appeals to every facet of my being and I would love nothing more, it just won’t be in this car. This one is fully intended to have an old school vibe with a slightly warmed over bullet, just enough for it to get out of its own way and make it fun to drive.

This car will likely ultimately make its way down to my girlfriend to enjoy so we can take both cars to events and shows, so it can’t be too extreme or enough to get her into trouble with. Another car, and another time on another build, and maybe those 9 sec time slips may be a possibility! Who knows.

Thank you very much for the exceptionally kind words and commenting on the thread, I really appreciate it. It’s nice to have your input here.

Glad to see you went brushed on them as well

Thanks!

I actually had you in mind when I posted those pics yesterday, as you had expressed interest in seeing what I’d come up with. I’ll post pics of the completed components all reassembled back in the header panel when I’m done.

It should look pretty good me thinks.

Reactions: 7 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Thanks Scott.
With all the difficulties I’ve been experiencing lately, it’s been really hard to establish any kind of rhythm and maintain the motivation. Small victories like getting these done and outta the way go a long way to helping restablish it.

Appreciate the comment my friend.

Wow, thanks Jim!
Every once in a while one of you guys will catch me off guard with a comment, and you certainly did that. I wasn’t even aware you were following the build!!

As for the mill under the hood, a time and a place, and a purpose for every build.
As much as everything you mentioned appeals to every facet of my being and I would love nothing more, it just won’t be in this car. This one is fully intended to have an old school vibe with a slightly warmed over bullet, just enough for it to get out of its own way and make it fun to drive.

This car will likely ultimately make its way down to my girlfriend to enjoy so we can take both cars to events and shows, so it can’t be too extreme or enough to get her into trouble with. Another car, and another time on another build, and maybe those 9 sec time slips may be a possibility! Who knows.

Thank you very much for the exceptionally kind words and commenting on the thread, I really appreciate it. It’s nice to have your input here.

Thanks!

I actually had you in mind when I posted those pics yesterday, as you had expressed interest in seeing what I’d come up with. I’ll post pics of the completed components all reassembled back in the header panel when I’m done.

It should look pretty good me thinks.

Appreciate it, totally agree I think it will look very sharp. I am glad you were sandbagging us on it, hahaha

Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Who, me???

F96FB9B5-89E2-45D4-9146-BEB78E93BBD6.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 14 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
all these "subtle" touches, way to make us look feel like total slackers! :rofl:

looks great, keep it up, can't wait to see how everything comes together!

Reactions: 4 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Yep, Scott nailed it!

Today was an extremely busy one, up at the crack of dawn (no joke) and got down to business in the shop. It was a civic holiday here today, so a long weekend, and I was determined to take full advantage of it.

I started off by finishing the second half of the passenger side headlight bezel. I had gotten the first half done the night previous before I had to call it quits from my fingers being numbed to the bone from sanding.

Now both sides are done:

C9B1A8C7-A8D7-4402-B725-5155CD3218E1.jpeg

After that, I reassembled the headlight/bucket/trim ring assemblies, tidied up the shop and put everything away that wasn’t needed. In doing so, I remembered that I hadn’t installed a very important accessory...

Easiest
Install
Ever!

813A19DF-6B16-46AD-AF98-21561E189509.jpeg

Done procrastinating, I knuckled down and got after the chore I’d been avoiding:
Scuffing the insides of the headlight and grille openings:

1AF98E98-E543-45D6-8AA8-C3206723CAC4.jpeg

This was the last bit of prep the header panel needed, once that was done Olds Cool got moved outside and the header panel was “professionally” jigged up on the stand (on some old paint cans 😅). Along with the header, I also set up the passenger side belt moulding and the header panel trim spear.
I started the marathon spray session with a blow off and wipe down, then a good coat of adhesion promoter on all the parts.

22E38D2E-F3C7-446D-A094-F9965CB526AC.jpeg

FA025444-2658-47B7-9D96-444EA47E33CD.jpeg

081F08B7-5A29-4954-87A4-943BFB64150A.jpeg

Now before I go any further, I need to explain what’s going on with the belt moulding. Remember the one that I turned into a pretzel in a fit of rage? That was the second attempt at a passenger side moulding. The first one I had set aside after having similar problems. Thankfully I kept it.

After pressing it back into service, I decided to leave the low spots I couldn’t get to cooperate, and roughed them up with a 60 grit disc on the air angle grinder. From there I just treated the moulding like any other metal panel, and applied some body filler. Not the regular stuff mind you, but some All Metal. I figure it’ll be a little more durable in the long run.

Anyways, after it was block sanded flat and smooth, it was masked up and wiped down in preparation for epoxy primer. This is why I picked up the silver tinter to try and somewhat approximate the color of the trim.

Anyways, here’s the piece masked up and ready for epoxy:

591587FF-CC71-4884-9126-F2350DE3EC20.jpeg

All the parts then got 2 full wet coats of white epoxy, and were left to set for the one hour induction period. My application of the epoxy wasn’t the greatest with a couple of rookie sags in it, but it’ll suffice.

A29E045A-5E3D-40D7-8696-1F53C3F37BB8.jpeg

120F6D43-F70A-4C9D-9898-3B31DCA503E9.jpeg

When the hour was up, it was back to it again. This time with 3 medium wet coats of high build primer, but only on the outside of the header panel and the repaired spot on the trim. The trim spear didn’t need it.

FDA240E7-09BB-478B-A11F-403526993FAF.jpeg

My application of the epoxy may have been mediocre at best, but my bodywork on the hood ornament deletion is spot on:

0E75D5EA-3C32-4EE6-B5D2-A46F64EE28EF.jpeg

Still not finished quite yet, it was time to clean the gun for a second time and mix up some metallic grey. I’m able to do this because of the curing and bonding properties of the epoxy. It’s a process called “wet on wet” and it saves a ton of time and labor by not having to sand inconvenient areas in between.

The headlight and grille openings were shot next, finally ending the marathon day.

0D16C057-AEF4-4D1C-B2E3-859FB77509A8.jpeg

89558CCC-A2ED-4C3D-B000-DBB1F1A19DC1.jpeg

C6DEE76F-FC3B-4442-8B2E-9FDA1776E88B.jpeg

After feeling like I’ve been spinning my wheels and accomplishing seemingly nothing lately, it felt great to get so much done in just one day. I’ll let everything cure for a couple days, then I’ll block sand the moulding and header before a second round of high build.

This gets me back on track again, coming up soon will be some experimentation with paint effects to try and duplicate the brushed finish on the trim.
So stay tuned for that, it should be interesting!

Till then, thanks all.

D.

• Winner
Reactions: 19 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor