BUILD THREAD Project Olds Cool (Recognition!!)

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Reactions: 1 users

Flyers9928

G-Body Guru
Jul 30, 2014
South Central Pa
Reactions: 2 users

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Guys, I’m way behind in thanking you all for the absolute ton of positive comments and love y’all have shown for me and the car. But I assure you I will address each and every bit of feedback you guys have taken the time to give.

In the meantime, a heartfelt thank you to each and every one of you. You guys are the best and your comments have been incredible.
Thank you.

No Jeff, there has been and never really was any pressure to get it painted other than what I put on myself. I had decided way back in the fall of last year that I wanted to try my very best to get the car painted by early spring, and I pushed myself as hard as I could to try and achieve that goal. I am my own best motivation/worst enemy that way, no one can push me as hard as I push myself. I figure I’m probably a month or two behind where I would’ve liked to see myself on the car, but I think I can live with that given the Herculean effort it’s taken to get here. It’s been way more work than even I thought it would be, but then again once the snowball started rolling I kinda upped the entire build level. Believe it or not this was supposed to be just a simple repair and repaint job.

So much for that plan!
Thanks for your response Donovan. As I said, just being curious. You went through a long repair and refurbishing process, to get to the point where you got the car painted. Your documentation of that process was very thorough and meticulous. I know there was a sense of "expectancy" from pretty much everyone here, and I wondered if that had any effect on you or your schedule. Glad to see the car in paint now. Looking forward to the next batch of photos. I know it will only get better.

But to answer the last part of your question, yes, the bulk of the pressure is now definitely off as I’ve attained the goal I’ve set out for myself. I’ll be happier once it’s cut and buffed and fully reassembled now mind you, but that’s just me wanting a finished product.

I’m off on a week’s holiday all this week and have started doing some reassembly on stuff that won’t interfere with wet sanding and polishing the car, I thought I’d throw up a few teaser pics of how it’s going and looking in the meantime:

View attachment 148158

View attachment 148163

View attachment 148159

View attachment 148160

View attachment 148161

View attachment 148162

I don’t know exactly when I’ll start cut and buffing the clearcoat just yet because it’s still so fresh and soft, it’ll likely need a couple weeks to fully harden up before I wanna attempt it.

Many more pics to come as it gradually gets put back together more and more, so stay tuned...

D.

Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Time for an update already!

Parts are slowly getting tuned up and going back on the car, I’m installing all the things that won’t interfere and be in the way of wet sanding and polishing once the paint has cured enough to do so. Things like door and trunk locks can go back on and in, door handles and mirrors not so much so.

90+% of the trim is finished and ready to go back on, but there are/were a couple that still needed the brushed finish treatment. Got the stainless cowl at the base of the windshield done...

DC32C06D-AD6D-47AB-AC23-C899987EC217.jpeg

...and installed:

79632870-BC09-4610-915F-FFFE9D5ABE7F.jpeg

Then I cleaned up all the rest of the windshield trim and cleaned and installed the plastic liners that sit inside them before installation:

E1A1A81D-F89E-4646-8E45-8840D3B4612B.jpeg

It was a bit touch and go for a while there when I had two of the plastic clips break on me and refuse to hold the trim, but I was able to get the broken ones out and replaced with two metal ones all without damaging or scratching anything, so big win there.

The camera doesn’t really pick up the brushed finish very well, but the contrast between it and the dark metallic grey is pretty sharp in person.

31CA089B-8590-4C19-B8DE-34884B423FE6.jpeg

I also got 3/4’s of the back window trim installed as well, but I need to get the trunk filler panel that I forgot in the back seat of Duke’s truck back from him before I can complete it.

EEF2E663-B0BF-4FFD-9C3A-41F7E2E51D4A.jpeg

2E754BEC-2F3E-4687-A5B3-C98A94D82262.jpeg

I won’t be cut polishing the rocker panels or most of the bottom of the car (you can’t really see much there anyways), so I also installed the restored lower rocker panel moulding on the driver’s side along with all of it’s restored clips:

30AAACF4-8B91-43A6-B9BB-A9EC58E841E7.jpeg

It’s tough to get a good camera angle that adequately showcases this piece, but I feel it balances the lower half of the car, and the brushed finish on it ties in nicely to the silver accents on the wheels.
It’s all about a cohesive theme and the little details.

Speaking of details, I finished off the windshield area reassembly by addressing the windshield wiper arms tonight. I had put the brushed finish into these a couple years ago when I started doing the perimeter windshield trim. The arms being stainless held the finish fine, but the bases being raw pot metal had oxidized very quickly.

So earlier today I knocked the oxidation back off with a little red ScotchBrite, then masked them off and sprayed the bases with some clear to keep them looking their best:

FD3709ED-1514-46A3-9070-F32E41E117C9.jpeg

213371CF-645A-4282-8CF5-117BB95FBBD5.jpeg

55ECB722-34F2-4E20-8A98-C9CEAE7388C5.jpeg

Once that was done, I spent a few minutes installing and adjusting them so that they park nicely each time they’re shut off. It just completes the package nicely IMO:

2981C2C3-A500-4924-9A6C-4ACFCE047CD9.jpeg

Tomorrow I think might be rear bumper day. I have to locate the good condition impact strip I scored at the junkyard a couple years ago and swap that on to eliminate the one that has holes in it for the bumperettes that it used to have. I think it’s in storage out in the shed, but I gotta wait until it’s light out to go find it.

The bumpers on these cars have the bumper to body filler panels clipped onto them, and while both front and rear bumpers still need them to be repainted, I might just install the rear bumper with the old paint on them for now anyways. It’s easy enough to pull the bumpers on these cars. Just for the sake of having the car a little more reassembled and clear up some more floor space in the process.

That’s all for now gents, I’m just trying to get the car as assembled as I can while I’m waiting for the paint to cure and harden up.

Oh, I almost forgot- because I came in under budget with the paint materials and I have the extra cash now left over, I pulled the trigger on ordering a new ABS replacement AstroRoof headliner board tonight. The original one was so brittle it literally crumbled on me trying to take it out. The new one I ordered not pre-covered because I already have the material from when I bought some for the AstroRoof insert. Lead time on it is pretty long at 30-40 days because it has to come directly from the manufacturer, so I might as well get that ball rolling now.

Ok, that’s actually it for now. Things are moving along smartly now and it’s feeling great to be at this enjoyable stage after the months and months of gruelling dusty, dirty body and prep work!

Till next time,

D.

Last edited:
  • Winner
  • Love
Reactions: 27 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Hurry up and buy!

Hahahaha! "cash left over"....surely you jest! :LOL:

THERE IS NO "CASH LEFT OVER!"

Don't believe me? Let Jim, from "The Office" break it down for you:

Jim From The Office Cash Left Over.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 14 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
How did you put a brushed finish on your windshield molding and drip rails? It looks killer
He got drunk and was going to use a 000 steel wool pad and polish them, but forgot he left an 80 grit wheel in there....the rest, as they say, is history.

I kid! I kid! :)

It does look great though, especially with the dark gray paint contrast.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
How did you put a brushed finish on your windshield molding and drip rails? It looks killer

Thanks!

Post #361 right at the top of the page. Think I had started it on the wiper arms in the previous pages, so you can have a look there too.

Reactions: 7 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Now comes the fun part....reassembly. It's cool seeing a car come together after a long awaited paint job.,,,and, you can't forget the years of painstaking body work and prep.(y) :love:

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 4 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor