BUILD THREAD Project Olds Cool (Recognition!!)

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
wow, I take a break from the action, and you go and paint the thing! :oops:

I hate to admit it, but I kinda got the road hypnotism thing going while you were priming/sanding, and just now got back to it and got caught up.

all I can say is just: "WOW"... all the painstaking work over the last 3 years shows through in a completely gorgeous package. I love the color/scheme combo, and all the little painstaking details like the custom lens placements, smooth lenses, and of course, the brushed stainless trim really show all the hard work. as others have said, in someone else's hands, this car would no longer be around. thank you for saving it.

I'm looking forward to the finished product, but kinda sad the journey will be complete on this book (even though we still have the Juggernaut build to look forward to again, but a full on custom is not quite the same). thank you for letting us follow on this journey, as I know it inspired more than just me to take on areas that were outside of our knowledge/comfort zones, as the Chief and I have been through some of the exact rust areas (though not as severe as yours), and still have more to tackle.

awesome work Mr Riddler, any of us would be proud to own and show something half as nice as Oldscool has turned out being!

Reactions: 5 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Who in their right mind would take sandpaper to their barely a week old paint job???

This guy, that’s who!

95D00B58-5F35-4EB9-8389-2530998FDFC3.jpeg

Doing a little trial section on the header panel wet sanding and polishing, just to see how it’ll come up.

EE37A322-F1BE-4B11-8901-0391FCAFA896.jpeg

440128DB-76A8-4466-B7B1-4F333735D1EB.jpeg

71AC69C2-FA71-4A83-B657-EBC5CACDCA53.jpeg

Knocked it flat with 1000 grit on a block to level out the surface, and I’m pleased to report it’s gonna come out just fine. All traces of trash, orange peel and dry spray disappear, and with no signs of breaking through. (Only 3 coats of clear on here). I was also able to level out the clear steps on the pinstripe, pretty nerve racking but so far so good.

I polished up one little section real quick just to check my progress, and she’s gonna look great!

F9856BFA-C32F-4506-A7AA-8438538C0C3E.jpeg

I’ll continue to follow it up with 1500 and 2000 afterwards, and it’ll only get better and better. Lotta work, but it’ll definitely be worth it in the end!

Stay tuned for the end result...

D.

• Winner
  • Love
Reactions: 26 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Who in their right mind would take sandpaper to their barely a week old paint job???

This guy, that’s who!

View attachment 148475

Doing a little trial section on the header panel wet sanding and polishing, just to see how it’ll come up.

View attachment 148471

View attachment 148472

View attachment 148474

Knocked it flat with 1000 grit on a block to level out the surface, and I’m pleased to report it’s gonna come out just fine. All traces of trash, orange peel and dry spray disappear, and with no signs of breaking through. (Only 3 coats of clear on here). I was also able to level out the clear steps on the pinstripe, pretty nerve racking but so far so good.

I polished up one little section real quick just to check my progress, and she’s gonna look great!

View attachment 148473

I’ll continue to follow it up with 1500 and 2000 afterwards, and it’ll only get better and better. Lotta work, but it’ll definitely be worth it in the end!

Stay tuned for the end result...

D.
One thing I forgot to tell you about this clear, it’s hard to polish out. Once it’s polished it holds a shine well.

Reactions: 4 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
One thing I forgot to tell you about this clear, it’s hard to polish out. Once it’s polished it holds a shine well.

Actually in the little section I did, I didn’t find it hard to polish at all. In fact it came up pretty quickly only using a white waffle pad and some good 3M polishing compound.

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Actually in the little section I did, I didn’t find it hard to polish at all. In fact it came up pretty quickly only using a white waffle pad and some good 3M polishing compound.
They actually have tech sheet on polishing the clear, because of it. The guys used to nib the dirt spots and polish, then when the car was washed you’d see the spots. I have a feeling you won’t have a problem because you’re not under the gun like a collision shop and you have a greater attention to detail than the guys I worked with.

Reactions: 4 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I have a feeling you won’t have a problem because you’re not under the gun like a collision shop and you have a greater attention to detail than the guys I worked with.

It’s different when it’s your car and a labor of love as opposed to a regular production job. The personal investment in it automatically makes you want to do a better job despite being paid to do it for your job.

To even have a shot at getting my employer at the time to consider letting me apply for an Autobody Apprenticeship, I had to do my time in the detail bays for the used car lot in the GM dealership I was working in at the time.
I got pretty proficient at all manners of detailing including wet sanding and polishing, so this is certainly nothing new to me.

I beginning to think that you either hate your fingertips or love sanding things.

I had a feeling you were gonna bring that up and say something like that again Bruce, and it’s neither of the above. I don’t particularly relish the fact that I have to sand nearly the entire car over again, but when you see the results it’s kinda hard to argue the justification:

0807A189-B59B-4C5D-91D3-415407FBE5B4.jpeg

AAA4319C-D46F-4FD4-B2C6-9E91AC2139DA.jpeg

There’s not one sticker on that cabinet you can’t identify in the reflection, to say nothing of the before and after difference as well.
And again, that’s only with 1000 grit. I still have 1500 and 2000 left to go.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Winner
Reactions: 18 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
It's all good, man. I can assure you I will never have anything that looks that good for the sheer fact that people suck. Nature does, too. The slightest imperfection would make me homicidal after all that work.

Is that a detail in the pinstriping over the headlight, or some weird reflection?

• Agree

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
It's all good, man. I can assure you I will never have anything that looks that good for the sheer fact that people suck. Nature does, too. The slightest imperfection would make me homicidal after all that work.

Is that a detail in the pinstriping over the headlight, or some weird reflection?

Not sure exactly what you’re looking at there, but it’s likely a reflection of the red on the workbench in front of the car. A benefit of having it so shiny now, everything reflects back!
Lol

Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor