Project "Sand Bagger"

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
Re: Project "Bagging Rights"

The airlift people definitely are more personable than the R*^$$#@! company.In research I,ve done on other forums,people who sold & used airlift had no complaints with current versions although Slam specialties seemed to be the favorite for durability & non -balooning characteristics. I think with whichever bag used , if the height range is set close enough with brackets, decent sway bars & front geometry, 4 way control & proper installation, all should be good.
Nice lookin brackets, is that 3" od pipe. Monroe shock part #.? I,m takin notes & tryin to start collecting parts.

boatshoes

Greasemonkey
Nov 10, 2011
Algonquin Illinois

Monroe shock # 33082 for the rear. Made new rear lower mounts, I like these alot better.
Top plate offset 1" towards the front of car, 3" O.D. tube angle cut 3/4" to 1".
elcaminoiphonestuff247.jpg

Stripping the interior has led to some revelations. I will be welding in new floor pans. And by looking at how butchered the harness is, I may get kinda crazy in here.
elcaminoiphonestuff249.jpg

This car was poorly converted to buckets and floor shift, I will be converting it back to bench seat and column shift. I plan on doing a Billet column, the dashboard remains to be a mystery to me. I'm thinking about having a buddy of mine make a steel dash.

boatshoes

Greasemonkey
Nov 10, 2011
Algonquin Illinois

Been working on removing unneccesary dash wiring, and fixing some of the cut up stuff. I have the wiring all figured out now, and only the basics are staying.
elcaminotransinterior006.jpg

Cut all the exhaust off, going to make new system myself. Decided to notch the trans member, this was originally a 231 car.
elcaminotransinterior004.jpg

This car is much more of a project than I anticipated when I bought it, after I weld in the new floor pans I'll get back to installing the air management stuff.

GhettoRacingKid

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2010

its coming along nicely.

Thats how it happens. Mine started out as a budget build just to cruise around and have fun with.... well. bought a 8.5 rear which was the first real money i spent on it... found an 010/020 sbc block... and yeah...

im right there with you

1983mailbuwagon

Greasemonkey
Nov 26, 2009

here is a picture of my front set up before i swapped around my shocks

hey buddy looking good. if you toss the front shock mounts you have and get a eye led to eye led set up you can flip the shock upside down for more room for the tire to turn. the rim hits the way you have it.

Attachments

• IMGP4105.jpg
    IMGP4105.jpg
    412.1 KB · Views: 1,322

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011

1983mailbuwagon said:
here is a picture of my front set up before i swapped around my shocks

hey buddy looking good. if you toss the front shock mounts you have and get a eye led to eye led set up you can flip the shock upside down for more room for the tire to turn. the rim hits the way you have it.
Got any pics of that type of setup? I'm listening. 8)

1983mailbuwagon

Greasemonkey
Nov 26, 2009

jlcustomz said:
Ls, the main feature of the shockwave { made by Qa1} ,is the all in one compactness & for front suspension, no loss of turnin radius from outboard remounted shock. On the down side, they have less lift range & are costly, the cheapest I, ve seen is $600 through ridetech.Think you also pay another $100 { small footnote} if you don,t use their control arms made for them.
In other words, simpler install if you want to pay for it{Still need to trim spring pocket} ,But not as much height range as non firestone bags. I would like to also go up high for maintenance uses, as I have a long 2010 camaro nose to clear a ramp.
ALSO, Seen your ridin big wheels, like boatshoes here. You WILL NOT drop to the ground with shockwaves on a stock wheel size, much less something larger. You need the level of effort seen in this post to do so.

shockwave technology is much more then what your are making it out to be. They are to types of air bag systems. Fast and ride. If you look at a 80000 custom rod you will never see a regular air bag..... this is because the person driving that car willl never bouce the car nor really play with the height while driving. if you are looking for the best ride possible then a shockwave is the only way to go. now if you are looking to have a fast system that you can hop the front end and with of in a matter of seconds go up and down with then the regular air bag is the way to go. Has nothing to do with large wheels. if you know your how to design your suspension then you will be able to just go as low. now riding on a shockwave with little to no pressure is hard on the shock inside. The whole reason Air Ride Technologies is so expesive is because it is the best in the business. There is nothing wrong with either way you go but you must know what you want to do. The bigger the bag the faster the lift. if you have a 5" bag in the front of the car, it will not even lift the car up until around 55 psi. which means that you will need to be at 90-125 psi to about ride height. lots of pressure means shitty ride. I had shockwaves in my car and the height between the two with no air was no difference. my car lays frame on 20" wheels!!!! If you want to buy cheaper stuff that is up to you but there is always more to it then just the price!!!

1983mailbuwagon

Greasemonkey
Nov 26, 2009

example of eye to eye set up.

Attachments

• BRACKET-54-2.jpg
    BRACKET-54-2.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 1,226

boatshoes

Greasemonkey
Nov 10, 2011
Algonquin Illinois

Pulled the engine and trans out today. I think I misjudged how much work I wanted to put into this car initially.
I think I am now going to take the body off this spring. I'll update soon with some pics of progress and all the parts I've accumulated for it. I was originally hoping to drive it this year, thats not going to happen :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor