Project Surf's Up Malibu

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
Hey all, I'm at it again. Many of you have heard of my Pumkinator Cutlass wagon...

94Xjurz.jpg

THwAZIf.jpg

...and also my son's Coppertop...

NcGtltv.jpg

S3zHc5W.jpg

Both cars are in the process of a major overhaulin' and Pumkinator's going to begin to blur the lines between street and race car a little. I've been hunting for a new daily driver to replace Pumkinator and recently found this '82 Malibu and fell in love with another G body. It's a diesel engine vin code but has a small block in it.

The bad- It has a bad trans ( I have a spare TH350), is missing the front seat and the door panels are a little rough (all of which I have left over from a parts car), there's a few surface rust spots (that can be easily taken care of) and the rear driver's side bottom glass trim is missing. The good- faded paint but no dings or dents that I could see. Options are a/c, cruise, hydro boost brakes, power windows and door locks, and get this- power vent windows in the rear doors! That's the first time I've ever seen that! The odometer says just over 50K but I doubt that's original.

I can't leave well enough alone so I plan to warm over the small block just a little, and then do a mild Pro Touring suspension with a 3" drop, I'm not looking for another autocross bruiser, just a cool cruiser. For visuals I'm thinking a lighter GM yellow like Buttercream or Marigold and I want to convert it to a woody, I've always loved those cars from back in the day. I also have an old surf board I plan to bolt to the roof rack. ;) I have a set of 1st gen IROC Camaro 16x8" wheels I may use or I may go after an inexpensive set of 17s. Either way I'm thinking 245s all around. Hopefully this car will come together in the next 6-9 months while I am also working on the other two cars, I'll post updates as it unfolds. Here's the car as it was found, more soon...

qHL87nM.jpg

oczzK4W.jpg

HSwezWD.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I'll be following. What shape is the interior in?

Reactions: 1 user

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
A little rough, but I picked up a 79 Cutlass parts car earlier this year and the interior was real decent. Except for the dash I will transfer some of it over to the Malibu. I'll probably get one of those ABS dash caps to clean up the Malibu dash.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Cool project. Glad to see another wagon saved.

• Agree

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
Me too Jared. I wish I could avoid cutting up the Cutlass wagon parts car I have but we need a rear 1/4 panel for my son's Coppertop. :(

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Me too Jared. I wish I could avoid cutting up the Cutlass wagon parts car I have but we need a rear 1/4 panel for my son's Coppertop. :(
You're still keeping a wagon alive.

• Agree

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
it's sacrificial to save the lives of 2 or 3 others... just think of all those that went to the crusher that didn't have that chance! can't wait to see this take form!

• Agree

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
A little rough, but I picked up a 79 Cutlass parts car earlier this year and the interior was real decent. Except for the dash I will transfer some of it over to the Malibu. I'll probably get one of those ABS dash caps to clean up the Malibu dash.
That's the beauty of the G-body platform...many parts are interchangeable....besides our love for them...;)

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor