R4 a/c compressor bracket configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I was wondering if anyone has a pic or two of the compressor bracket setup on a SBC... or can steer me to a parts breakdown illustration..
My friend gave me a whole set of brackets, and I'm possibly considering using them. Oh, BTW, this is a V-belt setup, not serpentine.
It's kind of like a puzzle. My engine doesn't use any of these brackets because it had an A6 compressor.

I'd still like to go with the Sanden 508, but the bracket(s) are pricey and look ugly as hell.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Is the A6 the long cylindrical compressor? And the A4 is the short pancake compressor? I pulled a motor from a 1980 that came with the pancake compressor on the driver's side, and I think all the brackets are all still there. There are three pieces to the AC bracketry, plus a support rod. One bolts to the front of the water pump and the cylinder head, another bolts to the intake on the side, and the thrid one bolts the the front two exhaust manifold bolts. And you think the Grove Sanden bracket is ugly?!?

I've got a boneyard Camaro serpentine system for the new motor, but I have not cracked open the original AC system (still has [some] R12 in it, I expect) - I'd like to recover the gas and try to reuse it. $70 a pound if you can find it anymore. Looks kind of funny with the mixed brackets.

Attachments

• DSCN5793.JPG
    DSCN5793.JPG
    402.4 KB · Views: 18,012
  • DSCN5794.JPG
    DSCN5794.JPG
    377.6 KB · Views: 44,434
  • DSCN5795.JPG
    DSCN5795.JPG
    391.1 KB · Views: 16,446
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Quinn,
Thank you very much for posting the pics, that will be very helpful, especially if I go with the R4 pancake compressor. Which I'm still up in the air about.

Yes, the A6 is the (long) axial type compressor. They're generally pretty bulletproof, but mine has seen the end of it's life span...and they're real horsepower robbers. Mine originally was charged with R12, but as you said, it's cost prohibitive.

The R4 is the radial type compressor, or pancake, as you had indicated. My friend had given me the brackets and new manifold/ hose setup...but it's for a rightside inlet and outlet condensor.

Don't get me wrong, the Alan Grove brackets are very well made and engineered, but for some reason, that particular setup just does not look right...Perhaps I'm being too anal...

I see you're starting to change out to the serpentine setup.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I have a used R4 compressor that came with the Camaro setup. AC is a priority down the road a ways. My strategy is to use either an F-body or B-body condenser and hoses which wrap around the right side of the radiator. Ironically, if we lived closer together, we could swap...

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
If I'm not mistaken, there are condenser units available for the G-body that are more efficient and compatible with the R134A refrigerant.
That's what I'd like to look into. I'm thinking perhaps a later Monte Carlo SS or GN/T-Type.
I think Jim (Liquidh8) had suggested using a GN-T-Type unit.

With the hose/ manifold setup from my friend, it connects onto the rightside, rather than the left. He had a Chevy smallblock in his Cutlass Cruiser wagon, but went back to an Olds V-8 when the SBC suffered a cracked block.

81msw79

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2013
roselle park , nj
keep a close eye on how the brackets get assembled. there is 3 different a4 compressors. the plug for the clutch came in 9 o'clock , 12 o'clock , and 3 o'clock position. depending which brackets you have will depend where the plug lands. my stock 81 plug is at 12 o'clock position. but the 86/87 monte carlo brackets I have will require a 3 o'clock position compressor

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thanks for that information, Ed. I'll have to ask my friend which position his compressor was clocked.
I was thinking about possibly using a later Monte Carlo compressor, but these brackets might be from an earlier G-body small block. He might know more.
I would've thought that one could change the clocking without jumping thru hoops.

mymontess

Greasemonkey
Dec 23, 2014
North York, Ontario, Canada
ssn696 posted some excellent pix of the orientation of the a/c brackets. Just want to add a pic that shows the orientation of the inner bracket compared to the power steering bracket. I took this pic a couple of weeks ago while performing a cam swap. Haven't installed the compressor yet, but ssn696's pix show it pretty clearly. Hope this helps. Another thing I just remembered- the long bracket on the right with the carb vent hose passing through it is a pita to fit around the front header tube. There are 2 bolts, I am only usung 1 for now. I'm going to modify the bracket for clearance so I can add the second bolt.
IMG_1487.JPG

Last edited:
  • Informative

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thank you very much for your input and contribution to the cause....I really appreciate it.
That's what I needed to see, a few more pics of how the brackets were oriented behind the compressor and power steering pump.
Guys, you've been great. I truly appreciate all your help. I can't thank you enough.

Last edited:

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
The ribbed belt setup posted by mymontess is the best of the old school OEM designs to keep an alternator belt on at high RPMs. I pulled such a kit from on a mid 80's B-car or pickup (can't remember), and used it for years on my 400 SBC - with a few passes at the 6000 RPM rev limiter. IIRC, I *think* you can exchange the water pump pulley and alternator fan/pulley and use the rest of your pulleys.

I've learned a vast amount from the Forum. Just passin' it on...

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor