R4 a/c compressor bracket configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
You guys have been an enormous help to me figuring out these crazy braces and brackets.
Jared, I truly appreciate all the detailed pictures...and of course My Monte, and Quinn...thanks go out to you guys as well.

However, I'm alittle uncertain how the horizontal cross brace attaches to the head along with the compressor bracket. Do they kind of overlap and use spacers? It looks like the horizontal brace bolts directly to the head.

Also, the vertical bracket that holds the p/s pump. I have headers on the car and have a spacer holding the old A6 bracket. I guess being that the stock exhaust manifolds are thicker than the header flange, the spacer compensates for not using the stock manifolds. The vertical bracket that I have appears to have one of the ears chopped off where it bolts to the other exhaust flange bolt.. I suppose it wouldn't be that critical using it.

Jared, in back of the compressor on the last pic that you sent, where does that stud with the nut and washer go?

Last edited:

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Jack,

Here's how I would do it. Put the vertical bracket on first, fastening it to the front header bolt. I think you will be o.k. with only one bolt but if you want my bracket you can have it. My setup is already incomplete. Just PM me your shipping address and I'll mail it to you. You will definitely need some sort of spacer to make up the difference between the thickness of the manifold and the header flange. Next put on the horizontal bracket. The horizontal bracket will bolt to the head with two bolts and a stud in the lower location, and will bolt to the vertical bracket it looks like with a through bolt and nut (looking at the picture in post number 8 of this thread posted by mymontess). Next hang the power steering pump. It will hang off of the stud at the lower passenger corner of the horizontal bracket. It also fastens to the vertical bracket on the driver's side of the pump and fastens to the front of the block under the water pump. Next install the upper A/C bracket. It will overlap the horizontal bracket and will share the mounting bolt going through the horizontal bracket into the upper bolt hole of the head closest to the intake manifold. If you look closely at the pic below, you can see someone put a spacer between my upper A/C bracket and the head to make up for the missing horizontal bracket. Next go ahead and hang the compressor in the upper ac bracket at the front and back, and affix it to the vertical bracket with the long spacer and bolt. Finally, install the brace that runs from the top of the upper A/C bracket to the intake and you should have it right. Oh, and the "stud with nut and washer" that you are asking about....I'm pretty sure you are looking at the bolt that secures the A/C hose manifold to the back of the compressor. I took the hose assembly off and threaded the bolt and washer back into the bolt hole to keep up with it.

I'm happy to help. This has been a valuable experience. I would have hated to sell my accessory drive to someone only to learn it is incomplete, even if I did sell it for cheap.
P1010014.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
If I'm not mistaken, there are condenser units available for the G-body that are more efficient and compatible with the R134A refrigerant.
That's what I'd like to look into. I'm thinking perhaps a later Monte Carlo SS or GN/T-Type.
I think Jim (Liquidh8) had suggested using a GN-T-Type unit.

With the hose/ manifold setup from my friend, it connects onto the rightside, rather than the left. He had a Chevy smallblock in his Cutlass Cruiser wagon, but went back to an Olds V-8 when the SBC suffered a cracked block.

A lot of good pictures here. My old small block is on the stand, I may be able to get some additional photos if needed. Jack, you are correct, I am using the newer more efficient ac condenser for an 86/7 grand national. Got it from Rockauto. The hose inlets are on the passenger side.

Also, I ran the ribbed alternator belt with the v-belt ac. My belt kept flying off under a 150 shot at 6K. This was a big improvement.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jack,

Here's how I would do it. Put the vertical bracket on first, fastening it to the front header bolt. I think you will be o.k. with only one bolt but if you want my bracket you can have it. My setup is already incomplete. Just PM me your shipping address and I'll mail it to you. You will definitely need some sort of spacer to make up the difference between the thickness of the manifold and the header flange. Next put on the horizontal bracket. The horizontal bracket will bolt to the head with two bolts and a stud in the lower location, and will bolt to the vertical bracket it looks like with a through bolt and nut (looking at the picture in post number 8 of this thread posted by mymontess). Next hang the power steering pump. It will hang off of the stud at the lower passenger corner of the horizontal bracket. It also fastens to the vertical bracket on the driver's side of the pump and fastens to the front of the block under the water pump. Next install the upper A/C bracket. It will overlap the horizontal bracket and will share the mounting bolt going through the horizontal bracket into the upper bolt hole of the head closest to the intake manifold. If you look closely at the pic below, you can see someone put a spacer between my upper A/C bracket and the head to make up for the missing horizontal bracket. Next go ahead and hang the compressor in the upper ac bracket at the front and back, and affix it to the vertical bracket with the long spacer and bolt. Finally, install the brace that runs from the top of the upper A/C bracket to the intake and you should have it right. Oh, and the "stud with nut and washer" that you are asking about....I'm pretty sure you are looking at the bolt that secures the A/C hose manifold to the back of the compressor. I took the hose assembly off and threaded the bolt and washer back into the bolt hole to keep up with it.

I'm happy to help. This has been a valuable experience. I would have hated to sell my accessory drive to someone only to learn it is incomplete, even if I did sell it for cheap.
View attachment 40961
Jared,
Thanks for all the good suggestions and of course all your detailed explanations...WOW!! What can I say?
I agree with you whole heartedly regarding the assembly of the brackets from scratch. I think I will end up using the vertical bracket that has the ear cut off. I found another bracket, very similar to that one, but it's shorter. That only has one ear on it that mounts in the same position...so I think I'm good with the one I have. I think the shorter upright, or vertical bracket is for a non-A/C car.
Thank you so much for your offer of the bracket, I might not need it at this point.
I don't think I've ever had this much help before on a particular topic...I'm humbled.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
A lot of good pictures here. My old small block is on the stand, I may be able to get some additional photos if needed. Jack, you are correct, I am using the newer more efficient ac condenser for an 86/7 grand national. Got it from Rockauto. The hose inlets are on the passenger side.

Also, I ran the ribbed alternator belt with the v-belt ac. My belt kept flying off under a 150 shot at 6K. This was a big improvement.
Thank you, Jim.
I think I'm in good shape, thanks to my fellow members. I also want to thank you for the suggestion of using the GN/ T-Type condenser. I'm wondering if I should also replace the evaporator (and heater core) while I'm at it. All I can see is $$$$$ flying out the window...:eek:
I still haven't purchased a new compressor yet...:confused: I notice that there's several models of the Delco units. I'm trying to avoid a reman'd unit. I've heard of too many stories of those eating themselves.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Glad I could help Jack.

• Agree

mymontess

Greasemonkey
Dec 23, 2014
North York, Ontario, Canada
The only thing I want to add is in my car, the bolt that passes through the vert. bracket & the hole with spacer in horizontal bracket ends up in the compressor & is the lower compressor pivot.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thank you for that additional information...that's very helpful.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Jack,

I just found this while exploring the Forum. Here is mention of a modified A6 bracket for use with a Sanden compressor:
https://gbodyforum.com/threads/500-cadillac-in-a-g-body.25458/

"The final thing I did while waiting on the title was to convert from the old A6 AC compressor to the smaller Sanden 508 style. They do make a bracket set to do this (at about $100), but when I started checking around no one actually had one on the shelf. After studying the A6 bracket for a while, I figured out I could simply enlarge the saddle area, elongate the holes, and build a simple rear bracket to mount the Sanden. It worked great and the belts lined up perfectly."

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thank you Quinn
for finding that information on the Sanden installation.
It's nice to know that there are other options out there. I wish there was more pics of Mike's compressor installation. I certainly still have all my A6 brackets.
Perhaps Mike would be kind enough to post a few more pics and installation info..that would be awesome.
I realize it's done on a Caddy engine, but I'm sure there's some similarities that can be adapted to a Chevy V-8.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor