R4 a/c compressor bracket configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
That is a nice setup. I guess it's the precursor to the serpentine belt setup. I may have to look for those pulleys.;)
Thanks for the additional info, Quinn. I must say, this site has been a continuous learning experience...even owning my car for almost 30 yrs. You guys rock!! :notworthy:

81msw79

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2013
roselle park , nj
the setup pictured with the ribbed alternator belt is the same setup I am running now on my 81 and my 83 wagons. love the setup. will need to search for one more complete setup now for my 78 2 door. I will snap some pics for you tomarrow of my ac bracket orantation on the 81

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thanks Ed,
That would be great and much appreciated. Some of the brackets I'm not quite sure of how they go. What I might do is lay them out and take a few pics of them, and then post them on this thread.

I'll bet you never hear of thrown belts with that pulley setup. I guess I'll have to hunt down the damper pulley, water pump pulley, and the alternator pulley shouldn't be too hard to find. I know I wouldn't be able to remove that one without an impact gun.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
If you don't have any luck, I think my old setup is still in a box out in the Shed of Many Things. Here's a tip: if you find a donor vehicle, if the alternator and belt are still on tight, get out your breaker bar and your big sockets (7/8" ?) and break that pulley nut loose. Then unbolt everything and take home what you need. Pull the same trick at home breaking the nut on your alternator loose. Once the new pulley and belt is on, torque that puppy.

• Informative

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Ah, yes. The hoard yields. There are two alternators and two belts, so I suspect there is another pair of pulleys lurking somewhere. The key item in the attached image is the two belts that both say '5PK1105' and '435' on them. That's the part number / belt length if you find a partial setup.

Attachments

• DSCN5803.JPG
    DSCN5803.JPG
    394.3 KB · Views: 343

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
If you don't have any luck, I think my old setup is still in a box out in the Shed of Many Things. Here's a tip: if you find a donor vehicle, if the alternator and belt are still on tight, get out your breaker bar and your big sockets (7/8" ?) and break that pulley nut loose. Then unbolt everything and take home what you need. Pull the same trick at home breaking the nut on your alternator loose. Once the new pulley and belt is on, torque that puppy.
Thank you sir,
I will trying hitting the yards and see what they yield. I guess I love the hunt. Thanks, the breaker bar suggestion should work, as you mentioned, as long as the belt is still tightly secure.
In most cases, I attempt to remove the pulleys when the alternator is off the engine, which does make it a bear. At least while it's still bolted down it's securely fixed and not going to go anywhere.
Thanks again, I'll let you know about the pulleys.

Also, thank you for the part #'s of the belts.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I just realized that I overlooked the A/C compressor pulley. I guess I'll have to look for one with the grooved pulley, if I happen to go int that direction, which I most likely will.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I have that entire front accessory drive off of my car, less only the water pump if someone wants/needs it. I will be going serpentine. I will sell it all reasonable. I'd rather see the stuff help someone than go for scrap. I have the brackets, bolts, belts, alternator, pulleys, fan with new fan clutch, power steering pump and compressor. One of the belts is new. The bolts are in labeled bags. Here is a pic of the setup on the car. I'd love to get it out of my way and help someone at the same time. I hate scrapping or discarding this type of stuff. I have several more good pictures I took as I tore it down if anyone needs them. I took a picture after I removed each component so I would have documentation on how all the brackets mount. I put an engine in an 84 Cutlass in the mid 90's. I was a lot younger and less wise. I put all of the brackets in the trunk and didn't take any pictures. The project suffered a delay and when it was time to put it back together, I couldn't remember how the brackets went. They really were like a puzzle. Thankfully, my best friend had a survivor 85 Delta 88 that I could look at for reference. I knew I wouldn't have that this time so I learned from the past and took a lot of pictures.
P1010006.JPG P1010007.JPG P1010008.JPG P1010009.JPG

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Hey Jared,
Thanks for posting the pics. I appreciate it. It looks like I won't need a grooved pulley for the compressor after all. From what I can see, it runs off a regular V-belt...that's good.
You're absolutely right about it being a puzzle. :doh:But, it will be figured out eventually.

mymontess

Greasemonkey
Dec 23, 2014
North York, Ontario, Canada
Just want to add a couple of things. Texas82GP's setup appears to be missing the inner bracket in my previous photo. I think this may cause a p/ steer. belt misalignment issue as the p/steer left upper mount is spaced out by the bottom left of the inner bracket & bolt / stud fastener (sorry, don't know the proper name for this fastener- CRAFT disease strikes again lol). At the far right of the inner bracket is a spacer. A bolt passes through the long bracket at far right, through this spacer & into bottom of compressor. This is the lower pivot. I just have a nut & bolt in this hole as I am not running the A/C this year. Also, if you look carefully at my previous pic, there is a bracket bolted to the front of the intake (below & to the right of the t/stat housing) that is a combination lift hook & also a brace for the upper A/C bracket. A bolt passes through the hole in the front of the bracket & into the upper A/C bracket. I will attach a pic of my compressor installed, but I am missing a brace that goes from the top of the upper A/C bracket to a middle intake bolt. This brace is visible in Texas82GP's pix as well as ssn696's pix. One more thing, the upper A/C bracket also bolts to the bolt directly above & slightly to the left of the cap of p/steer. pump, (through the inner bracket) in my previous pic.

IMG_0517.JPG

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor