R4 a/c compressor bracket configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thank you again for all your help. I've been looking thru my brackets and checking the pics that you guys have submitted. It appears that there are different configurations of brackets.
That makes it a little more confusing. I may actually have a few extra brackets that I might, or might not need/use.

You guys have been more than gracious posting the various pics. I'm extremely grateful for all your help.

Last edited:

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
My setup does appear to be missing the inner bracket shown in the pic mymontess posted earlier in this thread. If I remember right, the power steering pump had a spacer behind it to space it out for proper alignment. Here's the pic I took right after I got the compressor off of it....
P1010016.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I guess it also needs the horizontal brace to support the power steering pump brace. I'm beginning to figure out what goes where. Some of the brackets my friend gave me are extras, or came from a different year/ model installation.

The small bracket that's bolted to the 2- front right bolts on the intake manifold, does that also bolt onto the same brace that supports the compressor bracket, and/ or the compressor? It's the small bracket that has the lift eye integrated into it.

Last edited:

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Jack, Does this picture help? I think you are talking about the bracket that ties to the exhaust manifold and has that hose passing through it in the pic mymontess posted. Also, if you look at the other pics I posted above, I did have a brace going from the top rear of the compressor down to the intake.
P1010003.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

mymontess

Greasemonkey
Dec 23, 2014
North York, Ontario, Canada
The small bracket that's bolted to the 2- front right bolts on the intake manifold, does that also bolt onto the same brace that supports the compressor bracket, and/ or the compressor? It's the small bracket that has the lift eye integrated into it.
This bracket bolts to the back of the upper compressor bracket.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jack, Does this picture help? I think you are talking about the bracket that ties to the exhaust manifold and has that hose passing through it in the pic mymontess posted. Also, if you look at the other pics I posted above, I did have a brace going from the top rear of the compressor down to the intake. View attachment 40937
Thank you Jared,
That does help. It's another key to the puzzle. I pretty much figured out where that one vertical bracket was placed, but certainly not the spacer.
Thank you again for that pic. That was very helpful.

Another question or two. Where the spacer is fitted, is there just a long stud there, or a long bolt?
Also, I have a pair of "C" shaped brackets with two long bolts going thru them. I'm assuming they get bolted to the compressor body itself.? Are there other smaller brackets that are directly bolted to the compressor.?

I also have the long support rod that comes off the intake manifold and is bolted to the top of the A/C bracket. It looks like an aftermarket part..it's chrome.

Last edited:

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
This bracket bolts to the back of the upper compressor bracket.
Thank you. Little by little I'm getting this puzzle figured out.

I'm still alittle puzzled by the one bracket that 's horizontal, and I believe also connects to the bracket that Jared posted the pic of. I'm wondering if that also fits, or is bolted to the top compressor bracket? In other words, are those two bolted together somewhat?

mymontess

Greasemonkey
Dec 23, 2014
North York, Ontario, Canada
If you look at my first pic, at the far right of horizontal bracket, where it passes in front of the long vertical bracket, I have a nut & bolt in the spacer. This spacer is aligned with a hole in vertical bracket. A bolt passes through both these brackets & through the bottom of the compressor. This is the lower compressor pivot for tensioning the belt. If you look at the top of the long vertical bracket, there is an adjustment slot. This is an upper compressor belt tensioning slot- bolts to rear of compressor. The upper compressor bracket has the remaining upper belt tensioning slots- bolts to both front & rear of compressor.

Last edited:

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Jack,

I think I understand your questions. Take a look at the picture in in post #8 again. The horizontal bracket has two bolts and a stud going into the driver's side cylinder head. The power steering pump hangs on the stud which is the lowest of the three bolts going into the head. Since my car was missing the horizontal bracket someone had installed a spacer behind that stud to space the power steering pump out from the cylinder head, that way even though that bracket was missing, the power steering pulley was aligned with the other pulleys. The horizontal bracket is tied to the vertical bracket (the one with the hose going through it in the pic in post #8) with a bolt (look at the pic in post #8 again). This ties the vertical bracket to the front of the head. Otherwise the vertical bracket is only attached on two studs through the exhaust manifold at the front cylinder on the driver's side. The two "C" shaped brackets fasten to the compressor before it goes in between the upper A/C bracket and the vertical bracket. The "C" shape brackets fit inside the upper A/C bracket. My car seemed fine without the horizontal bracket but if I were going to put this setup back on, I'd want that bracket because I would want it to be right. Here is a good pic showing the "C" shape brackets inside the upper bracket...
P1010009.JPG

• Agree

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
This pic might also be helpful...
P1010015.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor