Radiator fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lue

G-Body Guru
Nov 29, 2007
Los Angeles, california
I'm doing an engine swap at the beginning of next mont, and i wanted to get a few things before then.

I want to keep the stock fan shroud, but maybe go with a bigger fan. Would i be able to do so and still keep the stock shroud?

Lue

G-Body Guru
Nov 29, 2007
Los Angeles, california
yes.. my intentions are to keep the car as cool as posible... It's going to be my daily, and i will be doing a lot of (hwy/ stop and go traffic) driving..

I really appreciate all the help guys..

83cut350chev

Greasemonkey
Jan 2, 2007
Churchville, PA
i just switched over to an electric fan, nothing special a universal 16" but it makes a pretty big difference. works better and gives you a little more power. that might be the route you want to take. IMO

Lue

G-Body Guru
Nov 29, 2007
Los Angeles, california
so, do you have it hooked up to where it turns on when you reach a certain temp, or do you find it most useful to have it on as the car is turns on?

Nightmare388

Master Mechanic
Sep 30, 2007
North West IL
Lue said:
so, do you have it hooked up to where it turns on when you reach a certain temp, or do you find it most useful to have it on as the car is turns on?

You can hook them up to turn on at a certain temp or you can wire them to the ignition so they come on when you turn on the key or do what I do and hook them up to a toggle switch so I can turn them on when needed and turn them off when not needed.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I just used the radiator, fan, clutch, and shroud from a 305 Monte Carlo when I did my swap. The V6 shroud is too long, and too narrow for the V8 radiator. There is a plastic block-off plate that you will need to remove in order to fit a V8 radiator, and also, the rubber feet at the bottom of the radiator on the core support are different for a V8 vs a V6.

jerrycad472

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2006
Detroit, MI
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
I just used the radiator, fan, clutch, and shroud from a 305 Monte Carlo when I did my swap. The V6 shroud is too long, and too narrow for the V8 radiator. There is a plastic block-off plate that you will need to remove in order to fit a V8 radiator, and also, the rubber feet at the bottom of the radiator on the core support are different for a V8 vs a V6.

85 Cutlass Brougham is right on if you are going to covert to a V8 Radiator. Need to find a V8 Shroud. The rubber feet at the bottom can be adjusted with sharp knife to fit the wider V8 Radiator.

If you want electric fans, check into used factory dual fan set ups. I think they may be more durable than aftermarket set ups. You can by an aftermarket wiring kit with the proper relays and temp. sensor. I have heard Dodge LH fans fit good (Intrepid, 300M, Concord, etc.) You can also use LT1 / LS1 fan set ups. I picked up a mint LS1 set up for $100.

Lue

G-Body Guru
Nov 29, 2007
Los Angeles, california
No, i'm not converting. My Bu came with a 305, but i am swapping to a 350.. If i decide to go with a clutch fan, would it work with accessory drive package (12497698) from GMPP?

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Well, I have no idea what that package is. If it is serpentine, then the V belt fan will not work. The serpentine setup uses a reverse flow water pump, because the pump spins in the opposite direction. Thus, the V belt fan's blades will be pitched in the wrong direction. This does not preclude the use of a normal clutch fan, you will just need to source it off a V8 car with serpentine accessories. In fact, if that is the accessory drive setup I think it is, you can save a lot of money by just pulling the drive off a 87+ F body or B body with a 305 as it is the same stuff you will find in the junkyard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor