Rear LCA recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

MotownElky

n00b
Apr 13, 2020
Hey everyone! Ive read a bunch of old threads on here on the subject but I'm looking to get some fresh perspective.
I've got a 78 Chevy El Camino I'm building for the street and maybe a little road course action. Its got a sbc 305 H.O with comp cam and edelbrock performer carb and intake with a TH350 and a beefier torque converter. Posi rear end with S 10 axles and 3:42 gears. not a ton of power, eventually Im gonna get a 383 Stroker😊 for now Im more focused on handling. I did tubular suspension and coil overs up front now I'm working on the rear. I decided to go with the UMI tubular UCA's with Roto joints on the Chassis ends and rubber on the differential ends. Should I do tubular LCA's with Roto joints on the chassis side and Poly on the differential side. Also should I do pro touring sway bar vs. The factory style? I'm just desperately trying to get rid of the G-Body Shuffle and at least get rid of some of the wheel hop. I'm more worried about binding and snap oversteer than I am on ride quality.
I tried emailing UMI tech support but got no response so far. Thanks!

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Poly is fine on the diff side, and the frame side is an either/or with the Rotos v rubbers. The rear bar will be better if you do a frame to tube mount v between the LCAs.

<chuckles at the "shuffle">

Reactions: 1 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Roto joints and a pro touring style rear sway bar are a good way to go. May also wang to think about reinforcing the LCA mounts on the frame.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Yup, a poly/roto combo is like butter for articulation.

Reactions: 4 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Most of the aftermarket companies make prefabbed braces that tie the front control arm points together. There are a few that make precut, weld-in, forward, lower bracing, or you can make your own. I'll go out and a limb and say any tricks you find for 64-72 A-bodies will work for the 78-88 A/G body cars. They all suffer from the same issues.

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I have no experience with anything other than the UMI stuff, and I have nothing bad to say about it. Perhaps you need some advice from someone that has used several different non-stock setups.

I know of the 'shuffle' you mention. We put a stock SS front bar on and the UMI rear bar on with UMI's upper and lowers. Night and day, virtually no lean at normal weight.

Reactions: 2 users

MotownElky

n00b
Apr 13, 2020
I have no experience with anything other than the UMI stuff, and I have nothing bad to say about it. Perhaps you need some advice from someone that has used several different non-stock setups.

I know of the 'shuffle' you mention. We put a stock SS front bar on and the UMI rear bar on with UMI's upper and lowers. Night and day, virtually no lean at normal weight.
Thanks for the reply, did you go with the LCA mounted stock sway bar or the pro touring chassis mount?

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Thanks for the reply, did you go with the LCA mounted stock sway bar or the pro touring chassis mount?
Keep in mind there is a junkyard swap of using a chevy blazer rear sway bar. It's a pro touring style setup mounted to the axle tube, then mounted to the flat braces. Takes a small amount of creativity, but so far my Cutlass rides 1000x better than stock. I also have BMR rear upper and lower arms, trailing arm mount braces, and UMI upper shock mount brace.
20200104_201916.jpg

Reactions: 6 users

MotownElky

n00b
Apr 13, 2020
Keep in mind there is a junkyard swap of using a chevy blazer rear sway bar. It's a pro touring style setup mounted to the axle tube, then mounted to the flat braces. Takes a small amount of creativity, but so far my Cutlass rides 1000x better than stock. I also have BMR rear upper and lower arms, trailing arm mount braces, and UMI upper shock mount brace. View attachment 144518
Nice setup! Thanks for the pic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor