Rear lower control arms

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD1964

Master Mechanic
Dec 31, 2014
I have a factory rear stabilizer together with the lower control arms that it’s bolted to. It comes off an 87 Monte SS. I want to use the stabilizer on the 79 Malibu wagon.

I’m curious, are the 87 Monte SS control arms beefier or designed better than the 79 Malibu wagon arms? The Monte SS arms have an insert of sorts to keep the arms from crushing when tightening the bolts I suppose. If I use the stabilizer on the Malibu arms, I suppose all I need to do is use the inserts as well. Any advice is appreciated

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Those lowers are the same. Unless the ones off the MCSS had better bushings, just bolt everything on the original wagon arms.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
The 79 arms will only have small holes in them you have to drill them out for the sway bar bolts, the small holes are in the correct location so no measuring required.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
The 79 arms will only have small holes in them you have to drill them out for the sway bar bolts, the small holes are in the correct location so no measuring required.
I've never seen smaller holes in a non sway bar arm. My '79 & '81 Montes had the right size holes for the sway bars.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Not my 79 Camino, it had like 7/32 holes, 3 in each arm so it had the holes marked for either orientation of the arm.

I just used the cordless and drilled them out and deburred so things laid flat after install. Didn't need to remove the arms.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Not my 79 Camino, it had like 7/32 holes, 3 in each arm so it had the holes marked for either orientation of the arm.

I just used the cordless and drilled them out and deburred so things laid flat after install. Didn't need to remove the arms.
Maybe those where from a batch made Friday evening or Monday morning.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Went and measured the holes in the stock arms are .385" good for a 3/8" bolt. The car with the bar from a newer car has 10mm bolts, would need to drill it a little to get them to fit. The aftermarket bar on the other car came with 7/16" bolts and would need over drilled a little more.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
The Monte SS arms have an insert of sorts to keep the arms from crushing when tightening the bolts I suppose. If I use the stabilizer on the Malibu arms, I suppose all I need to do is use the inserts as well. Any advice is appreciated
Yes, those spacers are there so you don't crush your control arms when tightening, also depending on the condition of the bolts I would probably replace those with some new grade 8 bolts.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Yes, those spacers are there so you don't crush your control arms when tightening, also depending on the condition of the bolts I would probably replace those with some new grade 8 bolts.
Many of the bolts once you remove them it turns out they've rusted thin from their time inside the sleeves.

These came out of an 88 SS. The spacer sleeves from inside the arms crumbled during removal. The design was fine for its purpose and the expected lifespan of the cars, but, could trap fine dirt and then water and thus rust as decades went by.

Attachments

• 20230127_164945.jpg
    20230127_164945.jpg
    977.7 KB · Views: 71
Reactions: 1 users

JD1964

Master Mechanic
Dec 31, 2014
Thanks everyone for the good info. Looks like it will be a pretty easy job since I won’t necessarily need to change the arms. I’ll just swap the parts over. Hopefully when I pull the bar off the Monte arms, those inner support spacers will be good enough for continued use. If they are, I’ll treat them to POR15 before putting them in.

By the way, the front has already been treated with a GN sway bar and Bilstein shocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor