Rearview mirror with map lights wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I just put that exact mirror in my '80 Cutlass, however, mine came out of an '07 (?) Impala and had 4 wires into the plug. A Green, Orange, White and Black wires. The green was cut as the pin went to an empty spot on the mirror itself. The others were bench checked and the black wire was ground and the other two were isolated, left side bulb and right side bulb.
Power to the blue give power to both lights

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
OK, even with that being a Donnelly mirror, it looks to be wired with the same colors as my HHR. But make sure to test it. I was just using a 9 volt to test the make lights with the dark blue/white & black wires which the map light functioned as it should.
That's what I did but with my 12 volt bench battery, what is the function of the gray wire then?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
That's what I did but with my 12 volt bench battery, what is the function of the gray wire then?
On mine gray is working like it would off the door switch when the black is grounded. With the dark blue white powered the lights function with the switch. I do wish I had a full mock up to power both to simulate the door switch & map light switch functioning in the car.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
I did the same one on mine. I also added an overhead from a Yukon.

Attachments

• Rear View Mirror  (1).jpg
    Rear View Mirror (1).jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 62
  • Overhead Consul (Yukon) (2).jpg
    Overhead Consul (Yukon) (2).jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 67
Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
My '95 Olds Ciera has the same map light configuration as yours, Abby. They used to be pretty easy to find in the junkyard, but they're becoming another old car and the herd is thinning out.
My wagon has an Olds Cutlass dome light with built-in map light.

JimmyD

Apprentice
Feb 16, 2021
Umatilla, Florida
The day/night function is manual
I believe the gray wire turns on both the mirror lights and the dome/courtesy lights with the head light sw (rotary part of sw.) and the blue and wht. is power for the individual lights on the mirror. Activated by the individual switches on the mirror. But I could be wrong, Its how my "96 Slonoma is wired.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Yup even this type of stuff is disappearing from the yards. I got th epilar small speakers but haven't installed them as I haven't figured out where to mount them and look factory.
My '95 Olds Ciera has the same map light configuration as yours, Abby. They used to be pretty easy to find in the junkyard, but they're becoming another old car and the herd is thinning out.
My wagon has an Olds Cutlass dome light with built-in map

Attachments

• Speaker Mini 3.JPG
    Speaker Mini 3.JPG
    187.4 KB · Views: 64
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor