removing landau top

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutty454

Apprentice
Jul 8, 2010
blackwood,new jersey
I was thinking about removing top on my cutty and just wanted to find out what all is involved and do I need to get any trim pieces? and is it a pain in the *ss? Im only asking bc my top is cracked is there any way to restore that without replacing the whole top?

67rstbkt

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2010
Reno, Nevada
I took mine off. You will need to remove the trim studs and get the rear window molding from a hardtop. Also, the side windows are different. I left my originals on and don't think they look bad at all. There will be a small gap because of the vinyl that would normally tuck in.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
first you need a case of beer, then a large can of Acetone to clean off the adhesive and foam off the roof after you remove the vinyl and as much of the foam as you can...it is not a fun job and that's where the beer becomes necessary..

for the seals on the windows you need to find a car that had no vinyl top...I have a set of seals with the windows but they are for a GP

Cutty454

Apprentice
Jul 8, 2010
blackwood,new jersey
thanks for the info ill probably that task after the winter it sucks bc the top is in pretty descent shape its not coming loose or bubbleing anywhere just the top is a little cracked

85Frankencar

Greasemonkey
May 17, 2010
Indy
It wasn't hard for me, just time-consuming...you'll need to remove the window trim, it slides right out, then get rid of the clips....there'll be little studs sticking out that the studs are attached to, you'll need to cut them...I highly recommend an angle grinder, it made my life much easier...the adhesive is easier removed by sanding than using adhesive remover, I used 2 36 grit pads for my ginder then a wheel cutter to remove the studs...just give yourself time....

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
85Frankencar said:
...there'll be little studs sticking out that the clips are attached to, you'll need to cut them...I highly recommend an angle grinder, it made my life much easier...

Do NOT use a grinder. The heat and sparks can potentially damage your paint and/or glass.

Grab them with a vise-grip and twist them off.

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
Dude why not keep it and have it re upholstered with new vinyl at a glass shop (I had it done to a couple of cars)? Dunno what color yours is, but you can opt for black. I think they look sweet and give the car a nice exotic look. Like mine lol. :mrgreen:
normal_P1060338.JPG

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Blake442 said:
85Frankencar said:
...there'll be little studs sticking out that the clips are attached to, you'll need to cut them...I highly recommend an angle grinder, it made my life much easier...

Do NOT use a grinder. The heat and sparks can potentially damage your paint and/or glass.

Grab them with a vise-grip and twist them off.

good point....

treed_cutlass

Apprentice
Oct 17, 2008
-Remove the metal perimeter trim.
-Remove rear interior pieces to get at your side windows and remove them.
-Peel off the top, then drill out the rivets holding the large plastic retainer around the rear window.

At this point all the vinyl should come off. You can deal with the glue in many ways... sanding, acetone, take your pick.
I was lucky, the glue was all dried up underneath the top and I just scrubbed it off with a rag, no solvent. When you're taking out your side windows, have a rag ready to grab some of the stringy bits of sealer when you push/pull out your windows.
You may not need non-vinyl side windows either. My stock ones fit with zero gap even without the top there.

-Twist off the clip mounting studs with vise grips. You can grind them off, but it's easier and safer to just twist 'em. No risk of grinder spatter on the glass or damaging paint outside the vinyl top area.

Now you're left with a problem... You have rivet holes around the perimeter of your rear window that need to be taken care of, and you have no mounting studs on the inside lip of your rear window to mount clips for the non-vinyl rear window trim.
Your rear filler panel (between the trunk and the rear window) is also not correct.
You may also have some body work to do where the roof joins to the quarter panel, depending on what kind of condition the filler is in there.

-Use butyl tape to reseal your side windows and put them back in (after doing the body work).
-AuVeCo #9877 screws will give you the trim clip mounting studs around the inside lip of the rear window. Use some sealant to prevent leaks.
-The holes around the rear window... your choice.
-Get a rear filler panel from a non-vinyl car, or possibly make your existing one work with some welding/bodywork.
-Get the rear window trim and clips from a non-vinyl car and install.

The two things that I always see missing with "how to remove vinyl top" threads is the lack of mentioning the rivet holes around the rear window that need to be taken care of, and the lack of trim clip mounting studs around the rear window to mount the new(used) non-vinyl rear window trim to... Why are these aspects left out the majority of the time? They're probably the hardest part of the conversion...

Outlaw

Apprentice
Oct 17, 2010
Gabriola Island, BC, Canada
Some good tips, that's exactly where i'm at right now with my roof. Going to fill in the old holes with my MIG tomorrow. Ordered new clip screws, lower clips and new trim, now i need to determine if i can put install the little screws in the lip WITH the rear glass in? And how far in from the edge do they go? l

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor