removing landau top

Status
Not open for further replies.

treed_cutlass

Apprentice
Oct 17, 2008
Black Sheep said:
No need. The panels are the same, but the vinyl top cars may have the little studs to hold the trim on. Just twist them off and be done. Done the conversion a few times.

How do you figure? What about the holes where the plastic corner pieces of the vinyl top trim screwed on to the filler panel?

Those need to be MIG'd shut. Or something needs to happen with them.
And yes, you'll need all the clips that a non vinyl car came with.

I've done the conversion a few times too(Cutlasses)... I'm not just talking about it randomly with no experience.
I've never seen a vinyl top rear filler panel without studs (yes easily twist off) and screw holes in it (MIG/Bondo/whatever).

I took a look at "Fasteners Plus" on ebay. Thanks for the tip. I think I found the screws you're referring too... Looks alright, the only thing I don't like about them is they're zinc plated. The AuVeCo ones are stainless... The only problem with the AuVeCo ones is its a pack of 100.

jackbootedthug

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 27, 2009
Massachusetts
I had mine redone a few months ago it cost $600 at an auto top shop near me in boston. It cost a little more then it should have cause the previous owner had the old vinyl and trim painted when they did the car so I needed to get the trim painted black too. Alot of times there is rust or corrosion under the old top but I got lucky with mine seeing it was a southern car. That's just my 2 cents though and IMO it came out great.

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
jackbootedthug said:
I had mine redone a few months ago it cost $600 at an auto top shop near me in boston. It cost a little more then it should have cause the previous owner had the old vinyl and trim painted when they did the car so I needed to get the trim painted black too. Alot of times there is rust or corrosion under the old top but I got lucky with mine seeing it was a southern car. That's just my 2 cents though and IMO it came out great.
IMO too. Looks awesome with the trim painted black. Accents your wheels nicely. :banana:

Black Sheep

Master Mechanic
Sep 24, 2010
Waynesville, Ohio
My apologies. I had forgotten about the holes, did alot of welding on the last car I did the conversion on. Gimme a break, i'm getting old :lol:

However, saying they are "different" may confuse people. They aren't really different, one for a vinyl top car just needs some holes filled to use on a non-vinyl top car.

It's all good 8)

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Black Sheep said:
My apologies. I had forgotten about the holes, did alot of welding on the last car I did the conversion on. Gimme a break, i'm getting old :lol:

However, saying they are "different" may confuse people. They aren't really different, one for a vinyl top car just needs some holes filled to use on a non-vinyl top car.

It's all good 8)

all of us old people need a break every once in a while... 8)

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
Will any gbody rear filler and rear window trim work on an olds cutlass or does it have to be from a ht cutlass?

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
crucial118 said:
Will any gbody rear filler and rear window trim work on an olds cutlass or does it have to be from a ht cutlass?
Rear filler maybe, not sure. Trim no, won't fit. See pics in my gallery they are different shape.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
crucial118 said:

The parts you need are '81-'88 Cutlass 2-door only.
You can reuse your vinyl roof filler panel, just remove the trim studs for the vinyl top moldings and attach new ones for the window molding in the proper location, though it's probably easier to just find one from a hard top car.

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
Thanks guys. Guess I should've asked yall yesterday. Got the 1/4 windows, rear filler, and trim from a hardtop regal today from the local yard. When I got home I noticed immediately that the windows wouldn't work, but figured I'd ask about the rest. Guess I'll be sellin this stuff to someone doin a conversion on a reagal.

88CuttyClassic

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 26, 2011
crucial118 said:
When I got home I noticed immediately that the windows wouldn't work,
oh come on...that g-body 101 right there.. none of the 4 share opera windows. :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor