BUILD THREAD Rustier then I thought!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Thanks I appreciate it. Im trying not to be a total hack and take my time.

I dont know about that but I appreciate it. I have a new found respect for anyone who does this for a living. Im starting to understand why paint/bodywork is so expensive. Its also given me a reason to buy tools and teach my boy how to use his hands and mind.
Unlike video games, something productive

Reactions: 1 users

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Your tip over jig has got my interest!

How thick of plywood did you use for the tip over radius? Do you think it may try to slide on the floor as the weight of the body transfers to the side?

When you tip it over, take a pic of it. I may use your idea in the future!

Reactions: 1 user

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
Thanks but I cant take credit. This is how i made it 😁 if you got major rust repair check out eme macks build thread. Tons of info
Ill take a pic this weekend after I get tge floor in. Ill have help the first time to roll it and then put a kick stand on it. It feels solid now. The only difference in mine is at the door post and I used 7/8 treated but i bet 3/4 is plenty.

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
I spent the day putting the floor in. I have been prepping for this since I started. It fit in there great. Im very pleased with Goodmarks replacement panels. I just trimmed the back and overlapped it. I used self tappers to fit everything tight.
20200502_152155.jpg

I used clamps on the firewall to pull it tight. Then I tacked it in a few spots to hold everything from moving. I used a hammer and my seam buster to push the metal tight between spot weld/tacks. If your quick and do it while its hot itll be real tight.
20200502_165416.jpg

From the front the gap is basically gone.
20200502_165433.jpg

The back seat tub was a little tricky. I had to make a small relief were it makes the turn and work the piece into shape around the lip of the inner rocker.
20200502_183801.jpg

Everything is tight and welded really good.
20200502_183755.jpg
20200502_183809.jpg

I have to finish welding it all in. How necessary is it to weld all the lapped seams completely? Im gonna wait until the brace is in to roll it over. Just a reminder what it looked like.
20191201_131510.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 11 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Looks awesome man, congratulations. That’s a major milestone, worthy of celebrating.
🍺

You don’t need to completely weld the lapped seams completely, the factory never did. Just plug weld them together. As a general rule of thumb, I like to space plug welds no further than 1” apart. Hammer and dolly the pieces together as tight as you can first, then buzz them up.

You’ll have to reapply seam sealer to everything afterwards, so don’t stress if you can’t get them perfectly tight everywhere.

Looks great, keep up the good work!

Reactions: 6 users

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
Looks awesome man, congratulations. That’s a major milestone, worthy of celebrating.
🍺

You don’t need to completely weld the lapped seams completely, the factory never did. Just plug weld them together. As a general rule of thumb, I like to space plug welds no further than 1” apart. Hammer and dolly the pieces together as tight as you can first, then buzz them up.

You’ll have to reapply seam sealer to everything afterwards, so don’t stress if you can’t get them perfectly tight everywhere.

Looks great, keep up the good work!
Thanks. I never thought it'd turn out as good as it did. Im gonna burn in the brace today,flip it over and finish prepping the bottom for epoxy/seam sealer/raptor liner. Or should brush epoxy on the seams then seam seal,spray epoxy on the entire underbody and then spray the raptor?

Reactions: 1 user

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
You HAVE TO prime before Raptor . I would epoxy, seam seal, then Raptor. Some seam sealers say to apply to bare metal. I prefer treating the metal with epoxy.Great job BTW . Definitely a job to be proud of.

Reactions: 1 users

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
I wanted the floor brace in before I flipped it. It was kind of a PITA to get in right. It might have been twisted from when I monkeyfisted it off the old pan. I started on 1 side screwed it down and forced the other side into position.
20200503_174851.jpg

I got the car flipped over alone. Its hard to find any help right now. My son and his brother kept an eye on it to make sure i didnt hit the wall.
20200508_180805.jpg

They cut it close for sure. It was really easy to flip. If you can lift 50 lbs you can flip it by yourself. I used cinder blocks as dunnage to stop it from rolling backwards.
Message_1588977312326.jpg

Another 4 or 5 hrs an it should be ready for epoxy/seam sealer/raptor liner. The undercoating used on this car sucks. There's atleast 2 kinds. 1 is like asphalt almost. The other is like a plastic or something. Both suck equally. I found spots the PO sprayed the liner over dirt clumps,spider webs and rust.
20200508_201944.jpg

• Winner

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
Well it took probably 2x as long as I thought to remove the undercoating. This has been the 1st part of the rebuild that I had to force myself to do. It sucks, but its done.
20200510_154446.jpg

20200510_154456.jpg

Also cut out the spare tire well since it was rusty. I made the patch out of this left over upper trunk pan. I replaced both #5 body mounts with it but I keep almost all my sheet metal scraps in case I need a certain angle or shape like this. I made a pattern from cardboard and transferred it to the trunk pan backwards. So the stamping was backwards.
20200525_144757.jpg

So I flipped it and 2 pieced it.
20200525_175620.jpg

I used screws and clamps to hold it in place. I tack and hammer all the way around, using the heat to mold the soft metal around all the contours.
20200525_220816.jpg
20200525_220803.jpg

Does anyone recognize these brakes. They're on my 8.8 that came with the parts car. I was thinking sn95 mustang but idk.
20200516_062300.jpg

20200516_062247.jpg

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
Well it took probably 2x as long as I thought to remove the undercoating. This has been the 1st part of the rebuild that I had to force myself to do. It sucks, but its done.
View attachment 147224
View attachment 147225
Also cut out the spare tire well since it was rusty. I made the patch out of this left over upper trunk pan. I replaced both #5 body mounts with it but I keep almost all my sheet metal scraps in case I need a certain angle or shape like this. I made a pattern from cardboard and transferred it to the trunk pan backwards. So the stamping was backwards.
View attachment 147226
So I flipped it and 2 pieced it.
View attachment 147227
I used screws and clamps to hold it in place. I tack and hammer all the way around, using the heat to mold the soft metal around all the contours.
View attachment 147228 View attachment 147229
Does anyone recognize these brakes. They're on my 8.8 that came with the parts car. I was thinking sn95 mustang but idk. View attachment 147231
View attachment 147230
Hmm... those calipers look like SN95 calipers, but I’ve only seen those used with a single piece, non-vented rotor. I’ll look at some of the Ford brake setups and get back to you.

If you still haven’t gotten seam sealer, a good one to get is Lord Corp.’s Fusor 123EZ. The stuff is an epoxy sealer and will flex with the car without cracking. It also builds real well so you can use it to fill in the large gaps the factory left, like between the cowl and A-pillar where they both meet the firewall.

This thread seriously makes me want to cut up and fix my floor pans the right way, that’s some amazing work!

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor