Should I reuse this spindle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Yesterday I obliterated a wheel bearing. It got so hot that it shot the dust cap off in a ball of flaming axle grease before I realized there was a problem. When I stopped, the rollers were no longer and the bearing was glowing red hot from all the friction. Now my question is, is it unwise to reuse the spindle after this happened? Will the heat have weakened it to a dangerous point? I haven't taken the rotor off yet ( and do not know if I can), so I am not sure if the rotor ate in to the spindle or not. Obviously this would only apply if the spindle appeared to be in good condition and the outer bearing could be removed. Normally, I would change the spindle without thinking about it, but I am very broke right now so I am open to suggestions.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Well, let's just put it this way: I can't afford the gas to drive to the junkyard, let alone buy the part. The $85 towing bill put me behind the 8 ball, so to speak. If it is unsafe, I won't drive it for a few months. I am just looking for a few opinions as to if it would be OK.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Is it going to break? No one can say for sure. I have a tendency to be a cheap-*ss but in a case like this I might spend the few bucks to replace it. At my local yard a spindle is $20 -- that's a small price to pay for peace of mind. You've spent countless hours and dollars on your car. It would be a shame to risk all that over a $20 part.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I wouldn't be worried about the spindle at all. We ran stock spindles and rotors in our G body circle track car and the rotors were glowing red hot from braking ever race we ran and we had to actually tape the dust cap on so it wouldn't fly off when it got extremely hot. Just use a good quality grease and you'll be alright.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
A guy at work had a Nova that happened to. The bearings actually welded themselves to the races. He brought it in to show us. The shop put new bearings in and sent him on his way. He went for years that way. I myself would not trust it after getting that hot.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
bonne....we've had rotors that got so hot they crack but never had any issues with heat affecting the spindle. We bent a spindle in a race and heated it up cherry red to try to bend it back into shape so we could get some kind of acceptable toe in the car. Those spindles are pretty tough and unless the bearing race has damaged the spindle there isn't a problem using it.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Yeah but there might be a crack you can't see, so it's a gamble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor