Silver LeMans Dash bezel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pontiacdaver

Greasemonkey
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Kent, your's looks good too, the continuous piece changes the look completely.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

deanlemans81

G-Body Guru
Sep 7, 2010
Acton Vale, Quebec, Canada
Wow, those look really nice. I just stayed with the basic woodgrain with silver faces.

grandamman

G-Body Guru
Nov 7, 2005
up in the hills
Kent, your's looks good too, the continuous piece changes the look completely.

Dave, that bezel didn't have the lines of separation or the allen head screws. Only a few years/models had that bezel.
The grey one has a vinyl wrap. I just needed something and wanted to see how it looked.

As far as the original post, I would just use a little Velcro to hold the bezel in place where it it loose. I have ~20 instrument bezels and very few of them (if any) don't have at least one broken tab.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Yes, mine is actually 4 separate pieces, but cut from a single piece, that way, the pattern is consistent. I bought it off eBay, but the company had ALL kinds of patterns and colors. I thought about carbon fiber myself, but decided to make it look like the T/A dash. I cut the pieces, then put them on and took a sharp X-acto knife and carefully trimmed around each gauge opening and Allen screw (I thought about putting real Allen screws in for a more realistic look but decided no one but me would ever notice.
Dave,
You did make it look authentic...between cutting the separate seams and around the faux allen bolts. How well does the product stick to the surface?

Kent,
You did a nice job on yours as well.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
This is a pic that I borrowed off of another website for some inspiration. The dash is in a Malibu wagon, much like mine.
p10100341_zpsbff51d8c.jpg

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Yes, mine is actually 4 separate pieces, but cut from a single piece, that way, the pattern is consistent. I bought it off eBay, but the company had ALL kinds of patterns and colors. I thought about carbon fiber myself, but decided to make it look like the T/A dash. I cut the pieces, then put them on and took a sharp X-acto knife and carefully trimmed around each gauge opening and Allen screw (I thought about putting real Allen screws in for a more realistic look but decided no one but me would ever notice.
It looks fantastic. How did you ever trim it so well around all the gauges, vents, allen bolts?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Pontiacdaver

Greasemonkey
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Dave,
You did make it look authentic...between cutting the separate seams and around the faux allen bolts. How well does the product stick to the surface?

It's been on the bezel and in the car for about 6-8 months, no signs of it coming loose anywhere so far. BTW, that pic is what I used for inspiration too.

It looks fantastic. How did you ever trim it so well around all the gauges, vents, allen bolts?

Thanks for the compliment. I trimmed the 4 pieces first, then I used a sharp X-Acto knife, gently pushed through the material, and slowly ran the blade around the edge of the openings. I did take the vents out, making those openings flush like the gauge openings. It wasn't hard, just tedious.

-Dave

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
It's been on the bezel and in the car for about 6-8 months, no signs of it coming loose anywhere so far. BTW, that pic is what I used for inspiration too.
-Dave
Thanks Dave.
I thought I had posted that pic another time...I'm still on the fence about doing it in either engine turn or carbon fiber. The engine turn was originally my first choice. Not only do I need to do the bezel/surround, but also the shifter plate on the console and breadbox door.
It might be more subtle doing in carbon fiber.
Also, thanks for sharing your technique pertaining to cutting out the openings, etc.

Kiko

Master Mechanic
Apr 14, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
If you're thinking carbon fiber, here's an example of how I did it.

Dash Panel 01.jpg Dash Panel 02.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

Pontiacdaver

Greasemonkey
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
The Carbon Fiber looks good too, I think it depends on the interior color, gauges, etc.

I used an X-Acto # 11 blade. Angle it about 45 degrees to the opening, so you are just skimming the edge of it, and gently run it around the circumference. Making 4 separate pieces may have been more work than was necessary, it might actually be easier to attach it as a single piece and trim the edges.

This is what I used, they have all kinds of patterns and colors available. http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335822911&icep_item=331440474382

-Dave

Attachments

• X-Acto 11.jpg
    X-Acto 11.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 204
  • Winner
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor