Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
The Carbon Fiber looks good too, I think it depends on the interior color, gauges, etc.

I used an X-Acto # 11 blade. Angle it about 45 degrees to the opening, so you are just skimming the edge of it, and gently run it around the circumference. Making 4 separate pieces may have been more work than was necessary, it might actually be easier to attach it as a single piece and trim the edges.

This is what I used, they have all kinds of patterns and colors available. http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335822911&icep_item=331440474382

-Dave
Dave,
I happen to have a box of that particular type X-acto blade in my desk drawer. It's been my favorite.
My interior color is burgundy, so I suppose either one should look good. I might be leaning more towards the carbon fiber look.

Kiko

Master Mechanic
Apr 14, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
You did a admirable job on yours, Kiko....very nicely done.
We may have had this discussion before, but what type of product did you use on yours?

Yes, we did touch base regarding this issue back in Jan. However, I'll save you the trouble of having to search for the thread ;) ... The dash panel is made from real carbon fiber with gel-coat applied over top. I made a CAD template, and a local outfit used a CNC machine to cut out the ABS back panel insert. The carbon fiber was then bonded to this panel.

Dash Panel 1.jpg Dash Panel 2.jpg Dash Panel 3.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Yes, we did touch base regarding this issue back in Jan. However, I'll save you the trouble of having to search for the thread ;) ... The dash panel is made from real carbon fiber with gel-coat applied over top. I made a CAD template, and a local outfit used a CNC machine to cut out the ABS back panel insert. The carbon fiber was then bonded to this panel.

View attachment 69509 View attachment 69510 View attachment 69511
Kiko,
Thanks for refreshing my memory...getting old is a b*tch...:confused:
That's right, you did use the "real deal" on yours. Another member (Scott) also used, and suggested using real carbon fiber sheeting.
Durability wise, it's the ultimate way to go...plus I like that you gel coated it. You never have to worry about again.
I must say, seeing how nice yours turned out is very inspiring.
Thank you for posting the pics again...I appreciate it.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
After what I went through getting my silver dash and silver gauges- making your own looks to be both easier and nicer looking. But since I did manage to accumulate them- here is what they look like together. To the OP: My bezel had a couple of broken tabs too. I epoxied them back and you can't tell at all. It's worth a try to save a rare piece. .
d42e871d-9394-49a1-84a7-8c1059f028c9_zpszvcigdww.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
The Carbon Fiber looks good too, I think it depends on the interior color, gauges, etc.

I used an X-Acto # 11 blade. Angle it about 45 degrees to the opening, so you are just skimming the edge of it, and gently run it around the circumference. Making 4 separate pieces may have been more work than was necessary, it might actually be easier to attach it as a single piece and trim the edges.

This is what I used, they have all kinds of patterns and colors available. http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335822911&icep_item=331440474382

-Dave
You've inspired me. I ordered some material. I'll put my brother up to the trimming. He has a steady hand and outstanding hand-eye coordination.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
You've inspired me. I ordered some material. I'll put my brother up to the trimming. He has a steady hand and outstanding hand-eye coordination.
Jared,
What material/ style did you decide on?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Jared,
What material/ style did you decide on?
I went with the engine turned pattern. I bought directly from the eBay link Pontiacdaver posted. I want the T/A look. I have a black T/A style wheel that has an Indian head on the horn button instead of the flaming chicken to complete the look.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor