So what did I do wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swink

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 17, 2018
San Marcos, Texas
I just did that very swap two weeks ago. If you got the part from Lares, it came with installation instructions that cover what to do if it turns one way, but not the other. You have to adjust the check valve, either find that paper or just google adjusting saginaw steering box check valve

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

Gremlinsteve

Master Mechanic
Mar 6, 2018
I installed the pitman arm incorrectly
That's the reason for my turning being incorrect

I'm concerned about it not bleeding air properly Or that's how it feels. Something is either locked up inside it or it has air trapped

I've since reinstalled the original gear box with no issues

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
when I buy something and have an issue with it the first thing I do is to call the vendor.......

• Agree

Swink

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 17, 2018
San Marcos, Texas
when I buy something and have an issue with it the first thing I do is to call the vendor.......
Yep, I'd call Lares. They have a pretty good tech support line/chat system. I'm assuming you have the Lares 1282 because there's not many other manufacturers that have the 12.7:1 boxes. God help you if it's Cardone.

Swink

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 17, 2018
San Marcos, Texas
I installed the pitman arm incorrectly
That's the reason for my turning being incorrect

I'm concerned about it not bleeding air properly Or that's how it feels. Something is either locked up inside it or it has air trapped

I've since reinstalled the original gear box with no issues
I doubt it's air. Air in the box makes it feel jumpy or intermittently rigid. It's also really noisy and you'd see foam in the PS reservoir. I've heard that the the check valve can get damaged during installation or if a piece of old o ring falls down in it while you're installing the lines.

Gremlinsteve

Master Mechanic
Mar 6, 2018
I'll look at my box and see if I can determine who built it

It's probably my luck that it's cardone.

I agree about the air. I should be saying that it feels like one does when air is trapped and all

It's definitely something wrong inside the unit
If need be I'll tear it apart myself just for giggles

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I don't care who built the product I buy, I call the vendor cause I paid them and they can solve the problem on the product they sold. You installed the box and it does not work, you installed the old box the same way you installed the new box and the old box works.....the new box is fuked and it needs the be exchanged.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Jim hopper

Apprentice
Mar 29, 2017
Sounds to me that when they rebuilt the box somebody did something wrong inside maybe you just need them to replace it and give you a new one

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor