Space City 1982 GP Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
The decal isn't technically correct. According to OPGI its for a 74 Caddy. Whatever. It shows the right part number for the air filter element.

Reactions: 4 users

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
Meh half the people that might see it at a show nowadays wouldn't know what a carb is anyways lol

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
I love that blue you used on your engine. I can't decide what color I want my engine to be. It's orange now.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

ttype

Greasemonkey
Jan 30, 2017
Brockville, Ontario.
nice work Jared. i'll use that picture from yours to locate the extra hole i'll need for when my 383 is able to be put back into service. the transmission in mine will serve well while i piece together a 5 speed for it. that blue is rather similar to the 305 sitting in a parts car at my brother's place. looking real sweet! keep up the good work. that air cleaner fits it just right too.

rob.

Reactions: 1 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
What air cleaner housing is that? And are you gonna add the snorkel on it, or fab up a cold air job on it?
It's a stock Monte air breather. I cut the 'arm' off of it with a hacksaw to get the look I'm going for. I also welded in a patch in the vicinity of where I put that sticker to close up the hole for the hose from the air pump. Since I'm running long tube headers, there's nowhere to hook up the pre-heater hose (metal 'hose' from the air cleaner to the exhaust manifold). For me, if it's not going to be hooked up and functional, I don't want it under the hood. So I cut off that 'arm' with the Thermac. It won't have a snorkel. I'm going to run the 3rd gen Camaro serpentine front accessory drive which puts tha A/C compressor on the passenger side. I'm going to use the 307 Cutlass A/C manifold hose assembly (the one with the muffler on the discharge side), so there will be no room between the condenser and the battery for the snorkel tube anyway. I considered going with a 307 breather, which points to the driver's side, but the provision for the crank case breather is different and on the wrong side. I wanted to run a stock style crank case breather tube both for looks and functionality. I realize I'm giving up a few ponies making the engine breath hot underhood air but this is a cruiser, not a max effort build. The way I see it, it's no worse than an open element air breather and this has the look I want. I painted it with epoxy primer and then followed with SEM Hot Rod Black. It's been in a box for at least a year so it's nice to see it on there. It would only be better if the engine was in the car, but the engine bay isn't ready yet.

Reactions: 5 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
hi Jared... how tall is the element inside that breather? just curious is all...

rob.
Rob,

It uses an A348C element. I haven't measured it, but I think it's about 3" tall.

Reactions: 1 user

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
For me, if it's not going to be hooked up and functional, I don't want it under the hood

That's the way i feel about engine bays as well Jared. When building, modding, these cars i think anything unnecessary should be deleted! I personally view the engine bay as the crown jewel, you should only see what is needed to make it work and nothing more.

Obviously every build is a bit different. I'm not running heat, ac, or wipers so i was able to really clean up the bay on the cutlass. We moved the fuse box inside, then welded in a plate, bodyworked it, etc. Even running EFI which has more wiring, the only wiring visible is the connections for the sensors and gauges. The headlight/fan wiring is tucked between the fenders, power cable from trunk mount battery is hidden in the frame until it exits right at the starter.

Took a ton of time to do it, but when done properly it makes a huge difference in visual appeal.

Keep up the progress buddy, that motor will be screaming before you know it!

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor