Space City 1982 GP Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I think your going to have hood clearance issue with the air cleaner. You'll need a low top lid from a 4.3 87 Monte or early 80s F body. Ran into this on my Salon. I did not measure the lid thickness differences but it looks to be maybe an inch. Here is the K&N part number on the box. Not trying to be a smart @$$ just trying to help out a fellow member.

air cleaner stuff.jpg

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I think your going to have hood clearance issue with the air cleaner. You'll need a low top lid from a 4.3 87 Monte or early 80s F body. Ran into this on my Salon. I did not measure the lid thickness differences but it looks to be maybe an inch. Here is the K&N part number on the box. Not trying to be a smart @$$ just trying to help out a fellow member.

View attachment 61541
You are definitely not anywhere close to smart-*ss territory. I appreciate the feedback. I thought with a performer intake, and q-jet I would be ok hood clearance wise but after disvovering the stock crankcase breather tube is about 1-1/2" too short, I have the same concern. Can anyone confirm the Performer Vortec is higher rise than a stock intake?

Reactions: 1 user

ttype

Greasemonkey
Jan 30, 2017
Brockville, Ontario.
my performer RPM intake/TB with cheap 14"x3" air breather assembly cleared stock monte carlo hood... but the outer edge of it rubbed against sparkplug boots on large cap HEI. the rise/lift on a factory 1976 BBB 4bbl air breather is the same as Eddy air cleaner. my EPS intake is shorter by approx 1/2", and requires black spacer between air cleaner base and TB to accomodate the notch i made in the 455-4 breather. i sawed it at right about the edge of the air filter, and half mooned that cut in the air cleaner base(towards the lid). flipped that piece inside out and welded 'er back up. tried it against the dizzy installed on RPM intake/HEI combo(perfect for HEI clearance), then discovered it wouldn't have the same "lift" without the black spacer in place installed on the EPS intake.

i'm just about ready to try 'er out for clearance m'self here just buttoning up a few things before i fire mine up again... darned shootin' camera phone crapped out on me!!! or i'd show you what HAFROD is getting at. your air filter is 3.5" tall from what i checked online from the part number on that lid from your pictures... if that helps ya out... i won't mind compromising the little black spacer on mine at all since i do have a open element air filter to use if my modded on isn't clearing... i'll go slap the cap on. clear some crap in order to close the hood and get right back to ya.

Rob.

Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Thanks Rob. I would expect to have trouble if I were running a Performer RPM but instead I'm running a Performer Vortec. I didn't think the plain Performer was that high rise.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Jared, I have the vortec Edelbrock Air Gap intake with a 1" adapter for my quadrajet with a stock duel snorkel air cleaner that fits under a stock hood

Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Thanks Steve. That tells me my setup should clear, but time will tell.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

ttype

Greasemonkey
Jan 30, 2017
Brockville, Ontario.
i just wanna see your underhood insulation pics for a sec... if there's a row of those clips holding yours on like mine. the very center one just to say interferes with mine. since my insulation was pretty ratty, i trimmed the center of it out since it's very dirty. i'll hafta notch a bit of the bump out of my hood brace to clear my modded GM breather, which is the center plastic clips location. our hoods likely have different bracing, so if Steve's works, then yours should too. glad i checked... my breather accomodates a 14" wide element, so has farther reach than yours. without the spacer under mine, i won't need a notch... keep up the nice work!!! looking great!

ttyl,

r.

Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
i just wanna see your underhood insulation pics for a sec... if there's a row of those clips holding yours on like mine. the very center one just to say interferes with mine. since my insulation was pretty ratty, i trimmed the center of it out since it's very dirty. i'll hafta notch a bit of the bump out of my hood brace to clear my modded GM breather, which is the center plastic clips location. our hoods likely have different bracing, so if Steve's works, then yours should too. glad i checked... my breather accomodates a 14" wide element, so has farther reach than yours. without the spacer under mine, i won't need a notch... keep up the nice work!!! looking great!

ttyl,

r.

Thanks for the reminder, I don't have any hood insulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor