Space City 1982 GP Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Looks good Jared. You and Sean got alot of work done. Are you going to weld in a patch where the 4 speed shifter was, or rivet something in there, then seam seal it in there?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Looks good Jared. You and Sean got alot of work done. Are you going to weld in a patch where the 4 speed shifter was, or rivet something in there, then seam seal it in there?
Thanks Jeff. Yes, we are going to install a patch. We have it laid out here at the house on a piece of sheet metal but haven't gotten around to cutting it out yet.

I could weld it in but I'd have to haul the welder from Dad's house. I'm leaning towards very shallow rivets so they mushroom nicely on the back side for a nice appearance. We will definitely seam seal the repair.

Reactions: 2 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I would have liked to have had about another 1/8" of clearance. The top of the transmission is very tight to the transmission tunnel, right ahead of the shifter but it is not touching. I estimate I have about an 1/8" of clearance. It's very difficult to see, much less get a picture of...
As you can see in the picture just above, the opening Sean and I cut in the tunnel for the shifter is too tight on the passenger side. I actually trimmed that side of the opening back to get everything bolted up but the shifter 'tower' is still against the tunnel on this side so that will require some trimming up this weekend.

Here is a look at the shifter 'tower' poking up through the floorboard...

My T5 WC shifter "tower" is very tight on the tunnel too bu it doesn't poke up through the tunnel like yours, mine is about flush with the tunnel. I have my engine sitting at 3° to keep my carb level.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Looking good Jared...nice progress!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jared,
Nice to see you making good progress.
The Rustoleum rusty metal primer is a good product. I have used it over the years myself.

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Excellent work!

For seam sealer I'm a big fan of the Transtar 4167 if you don't use a 2 part epoxy, I used it for the inside of my Malbu and you can get it next day at O Reilly's or Amazon.

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
  • Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor