Space City 1982 GP Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Sean and I got over to the storage tonight and got the rest of the seam sealing done. I didn't plan to take the better part of the interior out of the car at this time but I'm happy with where this has brought the project. This has put a lot of life back into the floors....

20180115_175629_1516060674712-2016x1512.jpg

20180115_175557_1516063648408-2016x1512.jpg

20180115_175605_1516063646169-2016x1512.jpg

20180115_175637_1516060674570-2016x1512.jpg
20180115_175547_1516063648892-2016x1512.jpg
20180115_175622_1516060679078-2016x1512.jpg

Also, I think the musty old car smell is gone.

The reality of how much money I need to spend to put the interior back in is setting in. One day at a time. Next up...two coats of satin black Rustoleum enamel on the floors.

That's it for now gents. Thanks as always for looking in.

• Winner
Reactions: 9 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Sean and I got over to the storage tonight and got the rest of the seam sealing done. I didn't plan to take the better part of the interior out of the car at this time but I'm happy with where this has brought the project. This has put a lot of life back into the floors....

View attachment 80627

View attachment 80628

View attachment 80629

View attachment 80630 View attachment 80631 View attachment 80632

Also, I think the musty old car smell is gone.

The reality of how much money I need to spend to put the interior back in is setting in. One day at a time. Next up...two coats of satin black Rustoleum enamel on the floors.

That's it for now gents. Thanks as always for looking in.
Just looking at your tunnel made me laugh it reminded me of my buddy Joe's car in highschool it was a 66 Chevelle SS convertible custom painted candy apple red. It was the party car and we blew up every engine and transmission combo you can think of in it lol the hole for the shifters was butchered like 2' long because we didn't have a welder to patch the hacking we did to it. Not that yours is or will be hacked it just reminded me of a few funny memories

Reactions: 3 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
The floor looks great. Must be satisfying again to know it’s going to be totally taken care of. I can’t wait until I’m coating metal instead of fixing it! Inspiring progress man!

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Just looking at your tunnel made me laugh it reminded me of my buddy Joe's car in highschool it was a 66 Chevelle SS convertible custom painted candy apple red. It was the party car and we blew up every engine and transmission combo you can think of in it lol the hole for the shifters was butchered like 2' long because we didn't have a welder to patch the hacking we did to it. Not that yours is or will be hacked it just reminded me of a few funny memories
Everything the previous owner did was a hack, Eric. Much of the work I've done on the car has been undoing his hack jobs.
The floor looks great. Must be satisfying again to know it’s going to be totally taken care of. I can’t wait until I’m coating metal instead of fixing it! Inspiring progress man!
It does feel good to be at this point though I hoped to put this aspect of the project off for a year or two. Hang in there. You are doing nice work on your car. You'll get there.

Reactions: 5 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Our office was closed today due to weather (stop lauging northen friends). I went over to the storage late this afternoon hoping to put the first coat of Rustoleum Satin Black on the floors but it was too cold. It was 40° in the storage and the can says minimum 50°. I wanted to push it and paint it anyway but didn't want a paint disaster that size so I held off.

Sean and I had placed the original automatic console out of his 78 Z28 in there to see if it was a possibility. I'm leaning towards modifying it to make it work. The opening for the shifter appears to be in the right place. It will take some trimming to get it to lay down over the floor brace.....
20180117_140753-1612x1209.jpg

I moved on to trying to fit the driver's side header. I started by pulling the old steering shaft which I had installed to move the car from the old storage. I had to pull the driver's side motor mount bolt, loosen the passenger side bolt, loosen the transmission mount bolt and jack the engine up on the driver's side but I got the header down in there. I got it hanging from the rear bolt but it won't sit flush against the rest of the cylinder head. It's hitting the lower rear lower control arm mount. It might go if I trim the mount and the control arm. These headers may not work. They are really 2nd gen Camaro/X-body headers. I think I'm going to see if the passenger header will go and get my brother to help me look at the driver's side before I start trimming. It wasn't a very productive trip bit sometimes that's the way it goes.

Until next time, take care guys.

Reactions: 6 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Our office was closed today due to weather (stop lauging northen friends). I went over to the storage late this afternoon hoping to put the first coat of Rustoleum Satin Black on the floors but it was too cold. It was 40° in the storage and the can says minimum 50°. I wanted to push it and paint it anyway but didn't want a paint disaster that size so I held off.

Sean and I had placed the original automatic console out of his 78 Z28 in there to see if it was a possibility. I'm leaning towards modifying it to make it work. The opening for the shifter appears to be in the right place. It will take some trimming to get it to lay down over the floor brace.....
View attachment 80768

I moved on to trying to fit the driver's side header. I started by pulling the old steering shaft which I had installed to move the car from the old storage. I had to pull the driver's side motor mount bolt, loosen the passenger side bolt, loosen the transmission mount bolt and jack the engine up on the driver's side but I got the header down in there. I got it hanging from the rear bolt but it won't sit flush against the rest of the cylinder head. It's hitting the lower rear lower control arm mount. It might go if I trim the mount and the control arm. These headers may not work. They are really 2nd gen Camaro/X-body headers. I think I'm going to see if the passenger header will go and get my brother to help me look at the driver's side before I start trimming. It wasn't a very productive trip bit sometimes that's the way it goes.

Until next time, take care guys.
I think it was you that told me any progress is good progress

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

michmalibuman

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2017
I had to use Headmen headers on mine to clear the z bar. let me know if you find one that works.

Attachments

• 83.jpeg
    83.jpeg
    761.1 KB · Views: 185

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Jared, if you are thinking of putting something down on the floor to absorb noise take a look at roofing water and ice shield, it's way cheaper than the brand name stuff. My friend, who has installed car systems since the cavemen started driving, clued me in on that and it works great, it's made with butyl

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 5 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Jared, if you are thinking of putting down on the floor to absorb noise take a look at roofing water and ice shield, it's way cheaper than the brand name stuff. My friend, who has installed car systems since the cavemen started driving, clued me in on that and it works great, it's made with butyl
Yea when we built all the Village Auto Trucks we used some kind of rolled rubber roofing that you heated and it stuck to the floor kind of like Evercoat sound pad I think ice and water Shield is like 150 or roll But the roles are huge

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor