Space City 1982 GP Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Yea when we built all the Village Auto Trucks we used some kind of rolled rubber roofing that you heated and it stuck to the floor kind of like Evercoat sound pad I think ice and water Shield is like 150 or roll But the roles are huge

plus if the ice age ever returns the GP will be protected...:D

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
We made some progress on the GP this weekend. Sean came over to the storage with me Saturday morning. He worked on fabbing a patch for the tunnel while I painted the floorboards. They turned out pretty good. Here are a couple of pics from this morning which shows them with the paint dry.

20180121_113241-1612x1209.jpg

20180121_113306-1612x1209.jpg

Next I worked on getting the driver's side header out of the engine compartment so I could box it back up. I had it in there hanging by one bolt. I had had to jack the engine up off of the mount on that side to get it in there. For anybody wondering Flowmaster 814110 headers will not fit a G body chassis. I talked to Summit late last week. I bought the headers in March of 2015 but they are new and unmarked, and Summit still stocks them so I asked them to take them back. Initially they refused but I escalated my request to a supervisor and he agreed to accept the return but wanted to charge a 40% restocking fee. I didn't like the sound of that so I've decided to try to sell them online. I'm not upset with Summit. I've had them a long time to ask to return them. I would have jumped at a 20% restocking fee.

Next Sean and I got under the car and cleaned up the bottom side of the floorboards to prepare them for undercoating. I had cleaned them up from the pinchweld at the firewall back to where the floor brace bolts in. We cleaned from there, back to the crossmember behind the back seat pan. We just used mineral spirits on Microfiber cloths. I don't have an pics of the result but it went pretty well.

This morning we had the usual chores around the house but we made it over to the storage for a few hours. Sean got to work on installing the patch on the tunnel. He put down seam sealer and then set the patch in place. He secured it mostly with rivets but used some short sheet metal screws where the transmission was too close to the tunnel to allow for rivets. He then went over the perimeter of the seam with seam sealer. I think it turned out nice....

20180121_142918_1516569235164-1612x1209.jpg

While he was working on the patch I worked on installing the new headers. I bought a set of Hedman 68318's. They are the Elite version of the of the 68310's. They are pretty nice and they are obviously designed for our chassis. The driver's side went in with basically no drama. It slipped right in from above. I used a Remflex gasket and the Proform Wedge-Locking header bolts. I got all of the bolts on that side torqued, though I had to use a crow's foot on two of the bolts.

I got the passenger side header in, got all the bolts started and got it snugged up and then realized there were some clearance issues. One tube is hard against the bottom rear corner of the lower control arm mount. One tube is pretty close to the rear inboard edge of the upper control arm. That header will need to come back out for some trimming. I don't think either trouble spot will be a big deal. I'm a little disappointed because there is plenty of room so it doesn't seem like I should be having this issue. I guess that goes with the territory with headers though. Does anyone else have a set of these headers? The passenger side seems to be pointed towards the frame rail instead of straight back. Is this normal?

I also started reviewing the installation instructions and they want me to relocate the brake line for the passenger side front wheel from the back of the crossmember to the top of it to get it away from the header. I'm not crazy about that either but we'll see.

That's it for now guys. Thanks for checking in. I'll post up as progress warrants. Until then take care.

• Winner
Reactions: 11 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
We made some progress on the GP this weekend. Sean came over to the storage with me Saturday morning. He worked on fabbing a patch for the tunnel while I painted the floorboards. They turned out pretty good. Here are a couple of pics from this morning which shows them with the paint dry.

View attachment 81091

View attachment 81092

Next I worked on getting the driver's side header out of the engine compartment so I could box it back up. I had it in there hanging by one bolt. I had had to jack the engine up off of the mount on that side to get it in there. For anybody wondering Flowmaster 814110 headers will not fit a G body chassis. I talked to Summit late last week. I bought the headers in March of 2015 but they are new and unmarked, and Summit still stocks them so I asked them to take them back. Initially they refused but I escalated my request to a supervisor and he agreed to accept the return but wanted to charge a 40% restocking fee. I didn't like the sound of that so I've decided to try to sell them online. I'm not upset with Summit. I've had them a long time to ask to return them. I would have jumped at a 20% restocking fee.

Next Sean and I got under the car and cleaned up the bottom side of the floorboards to prepare them for undercoating. I had cleaned them up from the pinchweld at the firewall back to where the floor brace bolts in. We cleaned from there, back to the crossmember behind the back seat pan. We just used mineral spirits on Microfiber cloths. I don't have an pics of the result but it went pretty well.

This morning we had the usual chores around the house but we made it over to the storage for a few hours. Sean got to work on installing the patch on the tunnel. He put down seam sealer and then set the patch in place. He secured it mostly with rivets but used some short sheet metal screws where the transmission was too close to the tunnel to allow for rivets. He then went over the perimeter of the seam with seam sealer. I think it turned out nice....

View attachment 81097

While he was working on the patch I worked on installing the new headers. I bought a set of Hedman 68318's. They are the Elite version of the of the 68310's. They are pretty nice and they are obviously designed for our chassis. The driver's side went in with basically no drama. It slipped right in from above. I used a Remflex gasket and the Proform Wedge-Locking header bolts. I got all of the bolts on that side torqued, though I had to use a crow's foot on two of the bolts.

I got the passenger side header in, got all the bolts started and got it snugged up and then realized there were some clearance issues. One tube is hard against the bottom rear corner of the lower control arm mount. One tube is pretty close to the rear inboard edge of the upper control arm. That header will need to come back out for some trimming. I don't think either trouble spot will be a big deal. I'm a little disappointed because there is plenty of room so it doesn't seem like I should be having this issue. I guess that goes with the territory with headers though. Does anyone else have a set of these headers? The passenger side seems to be pointed towards the frame rail instead of straight back. Is this normal?

I also started reviewing the installation instructions and they want me to relocate the brake line for the passenger side front wheel from the back of the crossmember to the top of it to get it away from the header. I'm not crazy about that either but we'll see.

That's it for now guys. Thanks for checking in. I'll post up as progress warrants. Until then take care.
I wish I knew you were going for the Hedmans, I got the same elite set brand new in their wrapings I need to part with since I'm running manifolds.

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I wish I knew you were going for the Hedmans, I got the same elite set brand new in their wrapings I need to part with since I'm running manifolds.
That makes two of us.

Reactions: 1 users

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Maybe I'm jumping the gun here a bit Jared, but do you have any pics of the headers in the car? Is the driver's side header going to clear the manual clutch linkage OK? Do these headers have the ball flange collector connection on them? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Maybe I'm jumping the gun here a bit Jared, but do you have any pics of the headers in the car? Is the driver's side header going to clear the manual clutch linkage OK? Do these headers have the ball flange collector connection on them? Thanks in advance.

Jeff,

I don't have any pics yet. I meant to take some pics of the headers and the bottom of the car before I came home yesterday but I forgot. I will get some pics the next time I get over there. It looks to me like these headers are going to work fine with the mechanical clutch linkage. The collectors are pretty far forward, just behind the rearward lower control arm mount. It looks to me like the exhaust pipe will pass right beneath the clutch fork. These headers utilize the ball and socket connection to the collectors. The collectors come with the headers but they are natural steel so I will likely buy some stainless collectors. The layout of the headers is really good. They seem to be specifically designed for our cars. That is why I'm a little disappointed in the clearance problems I'm having. I guess it is just a result of manufacturing tolerances.

Also on that note What size Tubes do 68318's have ? Thanks
The primaries are 1-1/2" and the collectors are 3". The reducers take the 3" collector down to 2-1/2". I wasn't crazy about the 1-1/2" primaries at first but honestly it is probably all that is needed for a 350 HP 350. I've read it is far better to have primaries that are little too small rather than have primaries that are too big. Since my car is a cruiser I really want the torque instead of high RPM horsepower so I think they will be fine for my application.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Those headers are designed for clutch cars. I had the standard set on the car when I put the 305 in. I think Hedman is the only company that makes direct fit with clutch for our cars.

• Informative
Reactions: 4 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Those headers are designed for clutch cars. I had the standard set on the car when I put the 305 in. I think Hedman is the only company that makes direct fit with clutch for our cars.
Do you remember if the passenger side collector pointed towards the frame rail instead of straight back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor