Space City 1982 GP Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I finally went through the entire thread.

Attention to detail and care on the underhood, floors, and basically anything you touch is superb. I'm too impatient to make everything that perfect lol.

I never knew GP's had the opera light option like yours does until I saw a 83ish GP at the salvage yard last week and your car had them.

Have you seen any other GP's with those opera lights? When do they come on?
Hey, thanks for the interest and the kind words. I'm always impressed at your fabrication and machining skills. I think the Opera Lights are trim thing. I think my car has them because it is a Brougham. This is pure speculation. It doesn't appear to be a Landau top thing because I've seen cars with Landau tops that didn't have Opera Lights. If you look at the car I posted a few messages above, which I believe my car was originally painted the same color and has the same color top, that car doesn't appear to be a high trim level car. I has a landau top but doesn't have the Opera Lights. Another trim oddity on these cars is the lower rocker trim. That's the black trim under the bright trim on the door. Some cars have it and some don't. I've had some members on here send me pics of low trim level cars that had that trim, like mine and Brougham cars that didn't.

The opera lights come on when the park lights and or headlights are on. Mine are functional. They're not very bright. Just a really formal accent. I drove the car home from work a few times in late 2014, after sunset, and I'm guessing the sight of those opera lights shining with the car going down the freeway was fairly unusual for the modern day and age.

Reactions: 5 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
jared, that is a sweet car!

I've never read the whole thread, so thanks for the condensed version!

Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
jared, that is a sweet car!

I've never read the whole thread, so thanks for the condensed version!
Thanks Brian. I appreciate it. I'm glad you liked the Cliff's Notes.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Well damn, just blew through this thread today and had hoped to see it back on the road. When are you gonna do your first burnout? I think I've hit all your other threads too and you do excellent work, but I'm with Fleming. I'm more of a get it running and then make it mine sort of guy. Have you rotated the engine at all since you got it? Or have you already had it running and just not driven it with the interior scattered?

Reactions: 1 user

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Thanks Brian. I appreciate it. I'm glad you liked the Cliff's Notes.
That should be a board rule, hahahah. Over 50 pages automatic requirement for cliff notes for us ADHD fools

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Well damn, just blew through this thread today and had hoped to see it back on the road. When are you gonna do your first burnout? I think I've hit all your other threads too and you do excellent work, but I'm with Fleming. I'm more of a get it running and then make it mine sort of guy. Have you rotated the engine at all since you got it? Or have you already had it running and just not driven it with the interior scattered?
I'm stealing this from an old member. It was always my favorite meme. When am I going to do my first burnout?....

b17706d0-40b7-4e02-8fac-154b3b132266_zps167d92d0.jpg

This car has been a textbook snowball rolling down the hill story. It started with cleaning up the poorly executed engine/transmission swap. The 400 was worn out and the combination of the heads, intake and cam were poor choices. Rebuild it? Nah, it's already 0.030 over (may have been 0.040 over, I'd have to go way back in the thread). While I'm in here I'll rebuild the front end and clean up the engine compartment. While I'm at it, I want a five speed overdrive. T5 won't work with the split bench? While I'm swapping seats and carpet I'll change the interior to black, etc., etc.

The engine hasn't been turned more than one or two revolutions by hand. It has never run. I doubt it runs this year but we'll see. I'm trying to save for the move north and the shop build so that will slow me down. We'll see. I'm more of a I want to do it once, be happy with it and move on kind of guy so I move slow. Thanks for saying something nice about my work. I appreciate it.
That should be a board rule, hahahah. Over 50 pages automatic requirement for cliff notes for us ADHD fools
I get it. Slogging through 50+ pages takes some determination. There are few builds on here I haven't done that with yet. I owe it to those members to do it, I just haven't yet.

Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I stopped by the storage on the way home from work tonight to pick up a few things. While I was there I gave the sunvisors another try and got them stabbed on the bases. A thank you to Injectedcutty for some advice that helped me get this done.....
20210113_185244_copy_1134x637.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
I love these updates, Jared. So glad to see you back on this car.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I love these updates, Jared. So glad to see you back on this car.
Thanks James. I'm trying to build some momentum. I painted the coat hook bases here at the house tonight. That doesn't sound like much but I put the same level of detail into them as the rest of the interior parts. Last night I cleaned them with TSP with a grey Scotchbrite. Then I cleaned them with Sem Soap and a grey Scotchbrite. Tonight I cleaned them with Sem Plastic and Vinyl Prep. Then four light coats of Landau Black followed by four light coats of Low Luster Clear. Sean and I are looking forward to making more progress this weekend.

Reactions: 6 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Rent on the storage went up another 25%. I'm seriously considering selling this car. If anyone likes the direction I was going with this and is interested, send me PM. I have virtually everything to put this car back together, down to radiator hoses and heater hoses.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor