Spark plug question

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthWestRider

Master Mechanic
Apr 21, 2010
got a carb lq4 i need to change plugs and was wanting some opinions on wich plugs would be best right now the motor is stock internally wise just header(longtubes) victor jr intake and holley 750

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
For what I've heard for a while is NGK are the "best"

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Good ol Autolite Copper plugs with stock gap will work just fine. Get some wires too.

Nov 4, 2012
I'm an NGK guy myself, I use them in everything, especially small engines and foreign stuff. NGKs seem to work exceptionally well in high-compression applications too. But you can't go wrong with AC Delco Iridiums either. Just don't try to gap them, you'll break the tips.

montec

Apprentice
Feb 17, 2016
ND
Good ol Autolite Copper plugs with stock gap will work just fine. Get some wires too.

Autolite plugs do not work in GM.

Delco's are always a good choice. I use NGK's now have been having good luck with them.

I'm actually looking at the E3 plugs now. Wondering if they actually make any difference.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Autolite plugs do not work in GM.

Delco's are always a good choice. I use NGK's now have been having good luck with them.

I'm actually looking at the E3 plugs now. Wondering if they actually make any difference.
my bad. been dealing with my old ford lately. Just bought some autolites for it not too long ago. Yep, Ive used delcos in my regal 231 and they ran fine. still looked new after 4k miles and blowing up the v6.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I'm also an NGK fan. I have 'em in my Chevy engine and Porsche as well.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I bought a Davis Unified Ignition distributor for my SBC and their recommendation is to use Autolite Double Platinum plugs. I know back in the day Autolite was basically Ford stuff but I don't think that notion is really true anymore. I replaced the stock Delco plugs in my Daily 5.3 at 82k miles with another set of Delcos when I did the cam swap. Now has 127k and runs great. We put E3's in the 6.0 in my brother's 78 Z28 when we built it. Runs great. Don't have an apples to apples comparison on the E3's. Can't say for sure whether they are worth it or if they are just a gimmick.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I bought some Autolite plugs for my 429 from summit to tack onto the end of an order and they sent me ones that were the long/thin type and I needed Autolite 45 plugs (short and fat threads) I think they gave me 25s even though their site said it was for the 1970 429. Anyway, the plugs fit in my Buick 350, no clearance or threading issues and the gap is the same as the stock '76 350 gap so I'm gonna use them in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor