Spark Plug Wires

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have have posted whenever the topic comes up that I run Moroso Ultra 40 sleeved wires and that we tested them in the race shop against the top brands of wires, the Moroso were the consistent ones at 40 ohms. A friend who owns a speed shop sells the MSD Street Fire wires regularly and no problems. He has the "higher" quality wires there but he has been told by the MSD distributor there is no difference in the performance of the "better" wires. The Street Fire are 500 ohms so I did a bit of research and discovered that low ohms doesn't mean better and in fact it could mean worse for a street car. The sleeve on my wires that are advertised to protect the wire against heat are actually there for RFI or EMI suppression and that sleeve breaks down over time. The wires with the low ohms are poor when it comes to RFI and EMI suppression

In other words I'm backtracking on my opinion of the Moroso wires I use and am changing therm to possibly Taylor because those are made in the US.

http://forums.superchevy.com/gm-hig...-plug-wire-resistance-theory-fact-or-fiction/

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
I have a black set of the MSD Street Fire wires on my small block for 3 years now with absolutely no problems. The jackets and boots still look great, and my car is not garaged. Whenever I'm ready for an ignition box I think I'm going to go for the street fire brand, rather than the similar yet more expensive MSD 6AL.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have a black set of the MSD Street Fire wires on my small block for 3 years now with absolutely no problems. The jackets and boots still look great, and my car is not garaged. Whenever I'm ready for an ignition box I think I'm going to go for the street fire brand, rather than the similar yet more expensive MSD 6AL.

Thanks for your review of the Street Fire wires. When I read the Street Fire wires were made in the US I picked up a set. The Street Fire box is also made in the US from what I read. The Street Fire distributor and MSD coils except for the HVC coils are made in china.

I can never remember the firing order so I put these numbered clips on the wires. I got the wire lengths from online so I hope they are on the right wires. The only problem I have is the coil wire they include in the box is too short for my set up.

plugwirenumbers.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Isn't low resistance the Cat's Meow? Then what is? Durability? Supposedly my Accel 25 ohm per foot race wires have good suppresion of RFI but who knows. They are a very well made wire. At what point does wire resistance decrease performance and fuel economy?

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
I've been using DUI Live Wires for a few years now and I think they are great. They run around 300 ohms per foot which has worked out just fine. The other nice feature is the fact that length-wise they're matched to each cylinder and also numbered. Nice quality wires made in USA - at least they were when I bought them a few years back. At the time they also produced custom distributors tailored to the customers engine requirements.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
They must also market these numbered sets for 10+ cylinders also otherwise there would no need for a line under the 6.
plugwirenumbers.jpg

• Agree

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Isn't low resistance the Cat's Meow? Then what is? Durability? Supposedly my Accel 25 ohm per foot race wires have good suppresion of RFI but who knows. They are a very well made wire. At what point does wire resistance decrease performance and fuel economy?

if you read the article I posted the link to said there is no gain using a low resistance wire. Your wire may suppress the RFI but what about the EMI which is more important than suppressing RFI

http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/truth.htm

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Interesting. Either way the are a high quality wire that only suppress RFI. Maybe I will keep the half NGK and half dual core wires on the 260. Also spark plug aren't created equal, I say NGK are the best of the common brands. Autolite and AC Delco's are not as good since being made in China.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I have the "regular" 8.5 mm MSD wires on the big block. I love the multi angle boots. I melted one boot to the header on cam break in, pulled it off, wrapped it in electrical tape and it was fine. I have since replaced that wire but no other issues here. My dad has had the same wires in his 68 4-4-2 for the last 9 years with no issues either.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I've been using DUI Live Wires for a few years now and I think they are great. They run around 300 ohms per foot which has worked out just fine. The other nice feature is the fact that length-wise they're matched to each cylinder and also numbered. Nice quality wires made in USA - at least they were when I bought them a few years back. At the time they also produced custom distributors tailored to the customers engine requirements.

we used a DUI distributor in one of circle track cars when we had to use an HEI by the rules. That distributor worked great and was tweaked for the set up we had by DUI. They make great products.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor