Square body crew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
Unless he is on the interstate constantly, why would he put a 5.3 which have no bottom end torque in a big heavy truck? An Olds 350, 403 or 455 with a 4L80E and adapter plate will get out of it's own way off the line. I would say a gear swap to 3.55 or 3.42's but a 4x4 makes that much harder.

So change the engine and the trans and the driveshafts because that's cost effective.

You'll hear no argument from me about the 5.3 having no bottom end. What it has is the ability to run high rpms for extended periods of time, allowing the retention of the rest of the drivetrain. The steep gears make for very little time spent at low rpm anyway.

Any of those Olds engines have a huge torque advantage over either the sbc or LS. It's all for nothing if you have to spin them to the moon as they tolerate that even less than a SBC.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
He should go 6L for an LS, either way mileage will be awful on the highway. My in-laws had a 85 square body crew 2wd, it had the 350 and it was barely adequate will less weight being a 2wd. Either taller tires and or OD is needed if he wants to spend anytime on the highway, no matter what motor he uses.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
...or just leave it alone and drive slower.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
She's got a dead hole boys #8 has left the building. Oh well I was never to fond of that cam anyway. So now the repair needs to be cost effective and fast! I'm thinking a cheap RV Towing cam and lifter kit I was looking on ebae and there's kits I never herd of for around $200 with gaskits zink and assembly lube but there are several different lift and duration combinations. You all know what it is 350 Mexico crate motor heads and performer intake with a Rochester any ideas on what I should go with? Cheap torque is the goal. And I should probably order it tonight so I have it by the weekend.
By the way that color looks awesome in the sun! I love it!

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Given your current combo? A good old Performer (or someone elses copy of that grind) is tough to beat. One of the better running 350s I ever had was just like yours with the .420/.442 Performer grind. It just ran good.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Given your current combo? A good old Performer (or someone elses copy of that grind) is tough to beat. One of the better running 350s I ever had was just like yours with the .420/.442 Performer grind. It just ran good.
That sounds good I was thinking something low to mid 400 lift with a short duration it's been a long time since I slapped a sbc together and I think I've forgotten more than I remember

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor