Starter not turning over

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
I recently pulled my steering column and changed the ignition switch. After re-install when I turn the key the guages react like normal - the sweep hand on the tach rotates all the way and then back for example - but the starter makes no effort to turn over. Never had this happen before. Took the battery to be checked and was told it had a full charge. All the electrical connectors I removed to get the column out all only connect one way so I'm not sure what I'm dealing with here. Any help would be appreciated.

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
I recently pulled my steering column and changed the ignition switch. After re-install when I turn the key the guages react like normal - the sweep hand on the tach rotates all the way and then back for example - but the starter makes no effort to turn over. Never had this happen before. Took the battery to be checked and was told it had a full charge. All the electrical connectors I removed to get the column out all only connect one way so I'm not sure what I'm dealing with here. Any help would be appreciated.
should also mentioned I had cleaned my battery post connectors and the starter makes absolutely no sound. No clicking noise - nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
In the start position. Is there power at the small lug on the starter.
From the work you did. I suspect a safety neutral switch problem.

Reactions: 1 users

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
See if there is 12V at the purple wire coming from the ignition switch when the key is in cranking position.

Did the tab on the purple wire terminal break off so it is not engaging the terminal on the switch.

G bodies use a mechanical lockout for neutral safety not an electrical switch.

Reactions: 2 users

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
is this what the connector looks like?

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 57

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
See if there is 12V at the purple wire coming from the ignition switch when the key is in cranking position.

Did the tab on the purple wire terminal break off so it is not engaging the terminal on the switch.

G bodies use a mechanical lockout for neutral safety not an electrical switch.
being color blind I will need assistance to check that.

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
If the switch is going into lamp test, gauges are arming, doubtful it's the rod. Just check make sure its fully seated in the switch. From there if good, check electric as suggested.

Easiest is to check the small terminal at the starter. If it energizes (12VDC) at "start" and still no crank, check the large terminal on starter. It should be hot all times. If so, then issue is solenoid in starter. Pull the starter and bench test.

If no volts at small terminal when in "start", then it's in the circuit from switch to solenoid. You will have to back trace circuit.

Also check simple stuff first like fuses, fused links, circuit breaker (30 amp metal can style). Check and make sure all connectors are pushed all the way in, no burnt or frayed wires, etc...

Then always a possibility even if new..., the switch may be bad.

Last edited:

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
Using a wiring diagram I tested for power going in to the switch (red wires) and power going out to the starter (purple wire). There is power coming in on the red but no power going out on the purple - when turning key to the start position.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor