Starting an engine for first time in a long time

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
I just picked up this Olds 330 and I kinda want to try to get it started as it sits right now. I know nothing about this engine and plan on checking compression, doing a leak down test, and checking oil pressure while priming before I go any farther. When checking the oil pressure, I will make sure oil is getting up to the heads and draining back okay.

If all that checks out good, what do I do to prepare? The old oil is still in the engine. Is there anything I should do before I change the oil? I am thinking I need to put some oil in the cylinders. I will change the plugs. Is it okay to use Lucas break in additive that has zinc additives? That is all I have in my area right now.

I know I am probably missing some things, so what all do I need to do?

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
dan2286 said:
I am thinking I need to put some oil in the cylinders.

umm... did you try and crank it already?

Why not a small spoon of ATF in each cylinder and let it soak in. Do it a few days in a row, then move to your next ideas/steps

What carburetor are you using?

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
custom442 said:
dan2286 said:
I am thinking I need to put some oil in the cylinders.

umm... did you try and crank it already?

Why not a small spoon of ATF in each cylinder and let it soak in. Do it a few days in a row, then move to your next ideas/steps

What carburetor are you using?

Not with the starter, but by hand. It turns over.

I have heard of people using oil or transmission fluid, I think I might go with the ATF.

I have a Holley that is pretty much new that I was planning on using.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
Did it crank well? The ATF won't hurt.. but generally that's done before it's cranked so if the rings were sealed to the cylinder wall they wont crack or break.

okay, thought you might be using the old carb for some reason. Well that's all I know of besides what you listed, maybe somebody else'll throw something in

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
custom442 said:
Did it crank well? The ATF won't hurt.. but generally that's done before it's cranked so if the rings were sealed to the cylinder wall they wont crack or break.

okay, thought you might be using the old carb for some reason. Well that's all I know of besides what you listed, maybe somebody else'll throw something in

I was able to turn the engine over by grabbing the balancer and it felt fine, but I only turned it about a 1/4 turn. I wanted to wait till I got some kind of oil in the cylinders before I tried turning it over a bunch of times.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
dan2286 said:
I was able to turn the engine over by grabbing the balancer and it felt fine, but I only turned it about a 1/4 turn. I wanted to wait till I got some kind of oil in the cylinders before I tried turning it over a bunch of times.

:friday: smart man, try the ATF trick. Just a tiny amount, less than a tablespoon (like a teaspoon around the edges of each ring) Do it twice, let it soak a day each time

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
sounds like you have your bases covered. If it's an old motor in an old car then run your fuel from a portable jerry can and flush the rad with clean water to get the old anti-freeze out of the block

outsider_27

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
axisg said:
sounds like you have your bases covered. If it's an old motor in an old car then run your fuel from a portable jerry can and flush the rad with clean water to get the old anti-freeze out of the block

You can pull the plug on each side of the block to drain the coolant out. Did this on my Olds 350.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor