Steps to Remove/install Door???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marik Bathory

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 17, 2013
Finnally got Photobucket to listen to me! This is what I was talking about with my ratchet strap sling. although i had the straps positioned about a foot too far back in this pic.

If you try it you'll want them more centred or the door will pitch forward and slam corner first into the ground. :x

and you'll be sad.

classic_man

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Thanks....I was planning on using a floor jack. My paint is not a huge concern but I'll be sure to use masking/duct tape just to prevent some dings.

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
Also, these doors have a lot of adjustability and it is tough (at least compared to modern cars) to get the alignment perfect the first time. The hinges adjust on the cowl (up/down), and the door side uses floating nut plates (up/down/in/out). Use the old markings where the bolts go through the hinges as a guide and go from there. Just make small adjustments at a time, don't do anything drastic or you will be going in circles. If the hinge pin bushings are worn, you can compensate with adjustments but it would be a good idea to just replace them if needed while the door is off (much better/easier access), especially if you have to put in oversized bushings if the metal in the hinges are oval instead of round due to excessive wear.

Also keep in mind that the better the door itself is adjusted, the less trouble you (should) have with getting the window adjusted. New window sweeps and adding new felt to the upper/inner stoppers makes a big difference with the windows too. These windows can get extremely floppy, and this causes wind noise (especially at speed) and water leaks. The windows in my Regal would pop out at the top on the highway when rolled up, and when the window sweeps really got crispy, they flopped and rattled when rolled down when driving.

classic_man

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin
My door is a el camino door going on to a malibu. I know the windows are different....Does anyone know if the window mechanism is different between the 2dr Malibu vs the el camino window mechanism?? I was assuming I could just take the window out of my malibu door and install it in the el camino door.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
The mechanisms should be the same. Just swap in your Malibu glass with the lower track attached and you should be good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor