Suck N Blow Monte

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Look at it this way: most of the hard work is done. A little tuning here and there, you'll be fine. As far as a dog off the line , are you power braking it to spool the turbo, first? If not, it will be a dog until it builds boost; it's the nature of the beast.
All in all, nice job!

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Tuning is the best part. Be methodical, chip away at it, and little by little it will come together.

As for the slow spool. Make certain your WG puck is sealing against the turbine housing and you have enough tension on the WG rod.

Remember that too rich can do as much damage as too lean.

Enjoy the process.

Reactions: 1 users

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I'm gonna bet the weak alternator has a lot to do with it. If voltage is low, it cannot burn the fuel because the coil is weak. That would be my first change. Can you do a video for us? My phone had a youtube app on it. I created a channel and uploaded. It was easy especially for a computer illiterate like me

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Thank you. The Good Guys shows are too expensive to show or go to. Cost my dad 300 bucks a year plus entry fees to tell people he was a Good Guy! I think the Holley Super Sniper would work better for a bigger engine on low amount of boost better. So far at higher throttle with boost it goes pig rich instead of lean like I would expect. I have a lot of tweaking to do yet, but for just getting it together with mixed matched parts I am happy with it. It still is no Grand National, but very fun to drive!

$300!?! With hotel and food too or just entry fee? I thought it was $50 ish or so to get let in, similar to power tour in newton last year? I had a group of like 5 guys that were planning to come down for the show but if its that much screw that!

Tuning is tedious but hopefully it will line itself out well. Interesting to see that its not super set up out of the box. Have a friend with FItech on a SBC and it is so/so in the tuning dept. It really limits getting it really tuned it, just not enough tables. Interested to know if yours does better down the road.

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Tuning is the best part. Be methodical, chip away at it, and little by little it will come together.

As for the slow spool. Make certain your WG puck is sealing against the turbine housing and you have enough tension on the WG rod.

Enjoy the process.
I have slight pressure on the waistgate rod. I may shorten it a little more. This is the part I kind of dreaded, but will be a good learning process for me.
I'm gonna bet the weak alternator has a lot to do with it. If voltage is low, it cannot burn the fuel because the coil is weak. That would be my first change. Can you do a video for us? My phone had a youtube app on it. I created a channel and uploaded. It was easy especially for a computer illiterate like me
The alternator is the top thing right now. If a video is that easy I may try it. By the way the hell with that draw though crap.

$300!?! With hotel and food too or just entry fee? I thought it was $50 ish or so to get let in, similar to power tour in newton last year? I had a group of like 5 guys that were planning to come down for the show but if its that much screw that!

Tuning is tedious but hopefully it will line itself out well. Interesting to see that its not super set up out of the box. Have a friend with FItech on a SBC and it is so/so in the tuning dept. It really limits getting it really tuned it, just not enough tables. Interested to know if yours does better down the road.
They have relaxed the rules a lot since my dad was a live. It used to be you had to be a member to even get in, and if your car was not the caliber they wanted you don't get in. The Super Sniper is not as awesome as I had hoped. Megasquirt and 87 intake would probably perform better, but that is a little advanced for me right now.

Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Being pig rich will cause a slow spool condition too. Set that b*tch to a 11.5:1 target AFR and start tuning from there.

EDIT: I just read the instructions: http://documents.holley.com/199r11488r.pdf

That thing is sh*t simple to set up. Just set your targets and let it auto-tune itself. Dial back the Accel Enrich once it is in CL and self tuning - and you'll be laughing.

Last edited:
  • Informative

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015

Enjoy the process.
I have slight pressure on the waistgate rod. I may shorten it a little more. This is the part I kind of dreaded, but will be a good learning process for me.
The alternator is the top thing right now. If a video is that easy I may try it. By the way the hell with that draw though crap.

They have relaxed the rules a lot since my dad was a live. It used to be you had to be a member to even get in, and if your car was not the caliber they wanted you don't get in. The Super Sniper is not as awesome as I had hoped. Megasquirt and 87 intake would probably perform better, but that is a little advanced for me right now.
Being pig rich will cause a slow spool condition too. Set that b*tch to a 11.5:1 target AFR and start tuning from there.

EDIT: I just read the instructions: http://documents.holley.com/199r11488r.pdf

That thing is sh*t simple to set up. Just set your targets and let it auto-tune itself. Dial back the Accel Enrich once it is in CL and self tuning - and you'll be laughing.
I did set it to 11.5. When I opened it up it goes 9:1. Bumped it up to 13 and it goes 10:1. Some enrich setting is at 100%. That might be the problem.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I did set it to 11.5. When I opened it up it goes 9:1. Bumped it up to 13 and it goes 10:1. Some enrich setting is at 100%. That might be the problem.

That'll do it.

Try:
13.5:1 idle
13.7:1 cruise
11.5:1 WOT

And set your boost enrichment to 0.2; if you hit 10psi that give you about 11.1:1 as a safety margin.

As for the Accel Enrich - start small, probably 20lb/hr, and roll slowly into it.

• Winner

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Thanks Mike. I adjusted my settings tonight. I have a higher amp alternator coming. Should be there Friday. Working on cobbling up my exhaust for the summer. I plan to replace it this winter. I think I will buy that special check valve for my transmission. It shifts hard with the vacuum line unhooked and some time it doesn't shift. I have to down shift and then shift back up to get it to go into gear. I am slowing down on the project now for a while. I have other things that I need to get done. I will keep driving it and tweaking on it though. Summer is when us in Iowa drive our cars and winter is for working on them.

Reactions: 3 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Thanks Mike. I adjusted my settings tonight. I have a higher amp alternator coming. Should be there Friday. Working on cobbling up my exhaust for the summer. I plan to replace it this winter. I think I will buy that special check valve for my transmission. It shifts hard with the vacuum line unhooked and some time it doesn't shift. I have to down shift and then shift back up to get it to go into gear. I am slowing down on the project now for a while. I have other things that I need to get done. I will keep driving it and tweaking on it though. Summer is when us in Iowa drive our cars and winter is for working on them.
Thats how a TH350 works with the line unhooked. That line is how it "knows" when/how to shift. Engine vacuum/load. I bet it wouldn't go into 3rd either, bangs into 2nd at super high (compared to normal) rpm. I'd get an adjustable modulator to. Tunes your all but WOT shift points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor