Suck N Blow Monte

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
This is an example of a great build thread. You're giving us the bad along with the good and that will be immeasurable help for the next guy.
I just love this car.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Love everything about your build BUT log everything you do/read all the logs, dump the AFR gauge, and forget about the knock sensor.
I need to figure out how to log. The Holley will do that, I just have not tried it yet. I am not going by the knock gauge full heartedly, it is just a precaution. I am not going to dump them though. Not a good idea with a Turbo Six.
I had an HKS SSQV BOV on my Buick, worked great. You can get fake one from China through eBay - should work fine. I just ordered a fake Tial 50mm BOV from China for my Monte build.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335822911&icep_item=401317081294

Mmm... purple. It comes with a heavy and a light spring. The HKS unit is externally adjustable.
I am going to try one of these I think. I need a mild steel base too, to
This is an example of a great build thread. You're giving us the bad along with the good and that will be immeasurable help for the next guy.
I just love this car.
Thank you kind sir. The reason I started this thread is for you guys not my self. Glad you enjoy it. P.S. I am very jealous of your new house.
I bet that 20psi would fry some bacon. Unless, 3.42s come into play?
You would think that, but it is not the case yet. It does not build boost fast enough for that yet. Off the line it is a guttless 3.8 after it is rolling it gets up and goes like a hot 355. Going down the highway 55 and stomp into it and it is a rocket. Like passing a car I will hit 80 before I am around that car from 55. That is fun! A little stall in the converter would really help and if my transmission would shift right. Sorry no smoke shows yet.

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
I need to figure out how to log. The Holley will do that, I just have not tried it yet. I am not going by the knock gauge full heartedly, it is just a precaution. I am not going to dump them though. Not a good idea with a Turbo Six.

I'll disagree with knock sensors almost every time, every car I have messed with them has ended up throwing false knock and therefore a monkey wrench into a legitimately solid tune and keep from full power. IF you go slow with the tuning, don't get greedy, and read your logs you will see problems long before the knock will take place. Just my .02.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Well update time. I cleaned the car up after work Friday and took it to a drive-in car show.
20180706_181447.jpg
The last week I put in a relay for the A/C compressor, replaced the intake boot with a used one I had, put in Transgo vacuum valve, and replaced my carb hat gasket with a rubber one. I bought two different carb hat gaskets. One steel core and one made of rubber. Trying the rubber one first.
20180705_204826.jpg
The transmission still does not shift right, but better. I have been messing with the tune a little bit trying to get it to run a better and have some low-end power. I have not been very successful. I got it so it would not go so rich with the full throttle, but it ran a little worse. I tried finding a happy medium with no luck. Wish I knew what the hell I was doing! I can build anything, but making it run right is another story. Can anyone see anything wrong with any of these settings?
20180706_223348.jpg
20180706_223322.jpg
20180706_223302.jpg
20180706_223243.jpg
On my way home I was playing with it and doing short runs. I don't know if it was the weather or what, but I was getting a lot of knock at 12 psi of boost. As the boost comes on so would the knock increase. At 12 psi it lit up a red light for a second. I got the hell out of it every time. Any one want to come to Iowa and help me get this thing sorted out? I am getting kind of frustrated and disappointed. I have talked with a couple Grand National guys. We think my turbo is too big for my combination and the Sniper may be too big also. One guy suggested running E30 fuel and see how it does. E30 would run cooler and the engine would need more fuel. So if the injectors are too big it would help. Might try it. I might buy a smaller turbo also and try that too. I did notice on my short runs the timing was kind of all over the place. Any thoughts on this?

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I just did a quick Google search for "sniper boost tuning guide" and a bunch of videos popped up. As with anything automotive on the internet, take it all with a grain of salt. Something might get you pointed in the right direction....
Also, see if you can get a laptop connected. A friend found it much easier than the hand held on his FI Tech unit.

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
So, first off I'm no tuning expert but let's try a couple things.
Cruise timing should probably be more like 35*

Cruise afr should be 14.7-15.2 ish. It's pig rich right now.

Wot timing is pretty aggressive if it were in my setup it would absolutely detonate if tuned like yours. Go safe first. Try 10 degrees and inch it up. Detonation is bad juju and it's actually happening before you can hear it. I see that it has a boost retard feature but to keep it simple for you at first just set the WOT timing so it won't go past that point.

Wot afr...11.5 is as lean as I will let mine ever get. Command 11.0 and see if it likes that. A little extra fuel helps stave off the detonation too.

I don't buy into the turbo or the efi unit being too big. Big turbos are your friend as they make really good volume for a given psi of boost and therefore have a cooler air charge which is less prone to detonation. You can tell the sniper to run leaner and it will. It's not too big. I share your frustrations with tuning!! Slow and steady, write everything down. That controller makes it way easier than say HPtuners. Try these few suggestions and let us know how it goes.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor