Suck N Blow Monte

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I'm intrigued by your build Zach. The work so far is killer. I hate to ask a bunch of questions on your build thread but overall, on the original set up, how was it reliability wise? I'd always heard the early set ups were hard to work on because bolts were hard to get to. But is the 78-80 problematic? I don't care about going fast just want it fairly reliable

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
I'm intrigued by your build Zach. The work so far is killer. I hate to ask a bunch of questions on your build thread but overall, on the original set up, how was it reliability wise? I'd always heard the early set ups were hard to work on because bolts were hard to get to. But is the 78-80 problematic? I don't care about going fast just want it fairly reliable
First I have to say I am flattered by the kind words you guys have said. Questions and comments are welcome, please do. This thread is for you guys not me! My car did run pretty good with the old setup. Drove like a newer v6. As for reliable. I would say yes. The only real trouble is sorting the vacuum lines out and keeping it working. If you go with a steaper gear and a little stall they will run better. More like a modern six cylinder. The 3.8 likes more rpm than the 243 gears can give. The draw through lacks flow so lots of turbo lag. The 3.8 turbo engines are basically all the same as long blocks. The knock retard box may not work, but you can wire in a MSD retard box and get buy. With a carb ignition retard in boost is important. With stock setup you will probably only make like 4-7 psi of boost. That is not much. Any more than that and you need better fuel or meth injection. If your waist gate rod is nonadjustable, I think I have a extra adjustable one for your setup. Hope that helps.

Reactions: 1 user

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Looks like a great start, im excited!

I've got a 4.1 buick block sitting on the floor if you are interested at all.

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Looks like a great start, im excited!

I've got a 4.1 buick block sitting on the floor if you are interested at all.
Might be. The next thing I need to do is a compression test. The engine has been using a lot of oil. I was hoping it was the turbo seal, but it is not. Hopefully it is valve seals not rings. If I need to rebuild it, I may build a 4.1 or start with a different engine. I plan on valve seals and valve springs if the compression is good. How's your wagon coming along?

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
I found time to work on my car a little bit today. I did a compression test on it. All cylinder, but two were 148 psi and number 5 and 2 were 130 psi. So I would say rings and pistons are good. That is good news! I am going to order valve seals in next couple days. I have been doing research on what I am going to do with the distributor and boost retard. I found that my acessory brackets will not fit with the factory HEI distributor. So I brought this setup from a guy.
IMG_20171009_164900989.jpg
The problem now is digital 6a don't have boost retard capabilities. You either have to add a retard box or use a different ignition box. A retard box is over two hundred dollars a 6btm box is almost 600. So I think I am going to buy one of these.
JS Knockguard-9c720aaa-1.jpg
They are over 500 bucks, but offer a lot of security. This box will wire into ingnition 6a box I will have. When it senses knock it retards the timing until it clears up. It can advance timing at startup. Revlimiters, launch and top end. It does a lot of cool crap other wards. Kind of a security blanket for dummies like me. What do you guy's think?

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Your compression is in the tank, by design I would guess, so that means it can run on 80's pump gas 87. That implies that you could run more boost (much more) on decent fuel. You already made an adapter so that means , to me, that you have the skills to make another to fabricate a 454 TBI adapter and put more turbo on it. Leave that da?#$!m MS box at the store and run an HEI with an MS for the same $600. Get better fuel economy and performance.

WOW - what a fun project!! I'm envious.

My two cents - Jim

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Your compression is in the tank, by design I would guess, so that means it can run on 80's pump gas 87. That implies that you could run more boost (much more) on decent fuel. You already made an adapter so that means , to me, that you have the skills to make another to fabricate a 454 TBI adapter and put more turbo on it. Leave that da?#$!m MS box at the store and run an HEI with an MS for the same $600. Get better fuel economy and performance.

WOW - what a fun project!! I'm envious.

My two cents - Jim
I have a HEI distributor. It will not fit good with what I am doing. Too big, that is why I am going with the other distributor. You will see in due time. I plan to run the power adder Fitech Tbi.

Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I'd say use the small base 8 pin HEI with the MS, but the FiTech should work out pretty well.

Good luck to you and I'll be watching :)

Zacheus

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 2, 2017
I have a HEI distributor. It will not fit good with what I am doing. Too big, that is why I am going with the other distributor. You will see in due time. I plan to run the power adder Fitech Tbi.
Why the fitech and not the sniper ? Just out of curiosity

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor